Help please! Frozen screen after Fedora 30 upgrade

Apologies for being a bit of a noob.

I upgraded my system from Fedora 29 to 30, and now when I try to log on, the screen is stuck with just a Fedora logo. I am able to use ctrl+alt+F3 to login, but startx does not work and I have no way of accessing the desktop.
I have disabled and enabled nouveau drivers to no avail.
I tried using recovery mode, and it just says my root account is locked.
Upon consulting the X.org log, it says NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module.

Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

What nvidia drivers do you have installed, and did compiling the kernel module succeed?

According to the nvidia installer, I have 418.74 installed, but the kernel module always fails to compile (dkms).

Try dkms status and maybe sudo dkms autoinstall

Ran into this myself a few days back. There’s a version mismatch with gcc between what ships with f30 and what the kernel folks use to build the kernel.

The fix is easy:

First stop the x server
sudo telinit 3

Next fix gcc
sudo dnf downgrade gcc

Next
Run the Nvidia installer

Last restart x server
sudo telinit 5

sudo dkms autoinstall gives

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.0.13-300.fc30.x86_64

Running the installer now says

Unable to determine the path to install the libglvnd EGL vendor library config files. Check that you have pkg-config and the libglvnd development libraries installed, or specify a path with --glvnd-egl-config-path.

However, I already have pkg-config and libglvnd installed.

After running the installed, it gives an error:

ERROR: Unable to load the ‘nvidia-drm’ kernel module.

Please post the failure log from the installer, the path should be listed around the failure message

I don’t know how to paste the entire file as I am typing from another computer, but I found the lines

WARNING: Unable to determine the path to install the libglvnd EGL vendor library config files. Check that you have pkg-config and the libglvnd development libraries installed, or specify a path with --glvnd-egl-config-path.
[…]
->Driver file installation is complete.
->Installing DKMS kernel module:
->done.
ERROR: Unable to load the ‘nvidia-drm’ kernel module.

Well, I don’t know what I did, but somehow it works now… Thanks for the help guys!!

Woohoo!

1 Like

fpaste can come in handy.

GCC version mismatches are the number one reason for Nvidia installation failure.

It’s even happening on Ubuntu. bionic-updates updated to 7.4.0 while the LTS and HWM kernels are still built on 7.3.0.

If you run the installer with -A, it will list arguments you can run the installer with. if it’s a minor GCC version change, you can just do --no-cc-version-check. If it’s a major mismatch, then dnf downgrade is a better way to go.

Remember to check /proc/version BEFORE you update GCC. ESPECIALLY on Nvidia.