Return to Level1Techs.com

Help please! Frozen screen after Fedora 30 upgrade

Apologies for being a bit of a noob.

I upgraded my system from Fedora 29 to 30, and now when I try to log on, the screen is stuck with just a Fedora logo. I am able to use ctrl+alt+F3 to login, but startx does not work and I have no way of accessing the desktop.
I have disabled and enabled nouveau drivers to no avail.
I tried using recovery mode, and it just says my root account is locked.
Upon consulting the X.org log, it says NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module.

Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

What nvidia drivers do you have installed, and did compiling the kernel module succeed?

0 Likes

According to the nvidia installer, I have 418.74 installed, but the kernel module always fails to compile (dkms).

0 Likes

Try dkms status and maybe sudo dkms autoinstall

0 Likes

Ran into this myself a few days back. There’s a version mismatch with gcc between what ships with f30 and what the kernel folks use to build the kernel.

The fix is easy:

First stop the x server
sudo telinit 3

Next fix gcc
sudo dnf downgrade gcc

Next
Run the Nvidia installer

Last restart x server
sudo telinit 5

0 Likes

sudo dkms autoinstall gives

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.0.13-300.fc30.x86_64

0 Likes

Running the installer now says

Unable to determine the path to install the libglvnd EGL vendor library config files. Check that you have pkg-config and the libglvnd development libraries installed, or specify a path with --glvnd-egl-config-path.

However, I already have pkg-config and libglvnd installed.

After running the installed, it gives an error:

ERROR: Unable to load the ‘nvidia-drm’ kernel module.

0 Likes

Please post the failure log from the installer, the path should be listed around the failure message

0 Likes

I don’t know how to paste the entire file as I am typing from another computer, but I found the lines

WARNING: Unable to determine the path to install the libglvnd EGL vendor library config files. Check that you have pkg-config and the libglvnd development libraries installed, or specify a path with --glvnd-egl-config-path.
[…]
->Driver file installation is complete.
->Installing DKMS kernel module:
->done.
ERROR: Unable to load the ‘nvidia-drm’ kernel module.

0 Likes

Well, I don’t know what I did, but somehow it works now… Thanks for the help guys!!

0 Likes

Woohoo!

1 Like

fpaste can come in handy.

0 Likes

GCC version mismatches are the number one reason for Nvidia installation failure.

It’s even happening on Ubuntu. bionic-updates updated to 7.4.0 while the LTS and HWM kernels are still built on 7.3.0.

If you run the installer with -A, it will list arguments you can run the installer with. if it’s a minor GCC version change, you can just do --no-cc-version-check. If it’s a major mismatch, then dnf downgrade is a better way to go.

Remember to check /proc/version BEFORE you update GCC. ESPECIALLY on Nvidia.

0 Likes