[Help] NetApp FAS2020 Problem

I’ve tried, to the best of my google skills, to find a solution but to my knowledge I’m the only one with this issue.

To start off, let me say that I have minimal experience with NetApp however I have some experience configuring devices with SSH and webinterfaces.

I bought it used from a guy who showed me that it was running. He gave me the configured IP and guided me in connecting and configuring it. However this wasn’t anything I didn’t know and it seemed straight forward.

THE ISSUE is that when I got home and tried to connect to it, I simply couldn’t. After trial and error with both webinterface and SSH, and restarting many times, I did get in. But only for a minute or so.
For some reason it is only available for 10-60 seconds after the boot sequence is done. I don’t have a chance to dig around in any settings or anything in this time and have no idea what could cause this.

The obvious answer is dead network card or something similar but did this really happen on the 15 minute drive home? He showed it working for half an hour or so.

I can’t even get a hold on documentation since NetApp only provides this for registered businesses.

I hope some of you are wizards with this, thanks in advance

Have you opened it up and made sure the riser cards are seated correctly?

may have shifted in transit.

Otherwise, your internal network is configured on the same subnet as it is?

You’ve tried both network ports on the shelf?

Qain himself…

Anyways, yes. I’ve checked most physical connections I could find and I’ve tried all network ports. I also tried with a console cable with putty.
Exact same issue no matter what. A quick tease of a connection and then nothing. I’m really scratching my head with this one

Does it stop pinging? Where. You do manage to log in, does it just stop working or does it close the connection and boot you off?

To be honest I’ve put it away for a couple of months and haven’t fiddled with it since so I can’t remember 100%. But I’m quite sure I was unable to ping it after the connection died.
In fact, I think I had a terminal open, pinging it every second to find out when it was/wasn’t available.

When I get in, once the boot sequence is done, I get the web interface (or CLI login if putty) just like I’m supposed to. No problem logging in.
Then when I lose the connection it’s literally like it’s not turned on. It’s not a permission or user thing.

Behavior can be described as if someone just pulled the network cable after 30 seconds.

Have you tried connecting to it via serial connection? Even though the serial port use an RJ-45 connector it isn’t Ethernet. you have to use the right adapters and a terminal emulation application to get console.

The cable that comes in the box with the FAS2020 is RJ-45 to RS232, the RJ-45 end plugs into the serial or config port of the NetApp controller and the RS232 end plugs into the serial port on your computer or laptop. These days, most laptops don’t come with a serial port any more. In this case, then you need a USB to serial port converter. Once you have the cable and adapter hooked up, use Hyper Terminal (comes with Windows), and configure the session (select the right COM port, set baud rate, etc.) Once that’s done, you should see a NetApp controller interface inside the hyperterm and you can configure the controller from there.

Here’s some more info about the port and connectors:

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1197116/html/GUID-5DA6A88F-59C5-440E-94FC-5FDA65408C40.html

Good Luck!

Joel,

Forgot to add this, this is an example of the cable you are looking for:

https://www.ebay.com/p/NetApp-Console-Serial-Cable-Rj45-to-Db9-112-00054/1203880795

Yes yes. I know this😄 As I said, I tried connecting with serial and used putty and I did get a connection. It prompted me with login and I did login. This is not the issue

Just to clarify you connected to the computer via the serial port and it still kicked you after 30 seconds? If that’s the case the problem is beyond just the network card.

When you connect via serial to the console you should be able to actually see the boot process, if you can capture that it might give you a good idea about which component is having trouble.