HELP NEEDED - Building a PC

Thank you guys so much for the advice! Its honestly greatly appreciated.

1 Like

You could go with what I have, It works well for games and I'm sure the price must have gone down over these past 4 years or so.
I have a FX 6300 cpu with
gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 (make sure to update the bios)
16gb g-skill ddr3 1866
Sapphire 290 tri-x
Corsair Cx750
g-skill ssd 120gb
2tb main drive
Fractal Design Black Pearl case.

I guess my point here is that you don't need to have the latest parts for a gaming pc. The money you save could go to some other project, such as a car or games for your pc.
If you don't want to run the possibility of the parts not playing nice with each other you should get a system such as the ones listed above and possibly below. You should be generally safe with parts within 2 years of the current year.

Thanks man ill definitely take that into consideration. I guess I just want to get ahead of the game now so im not worried about upgrading every year so that my games run okay.

That is understandable, that was my logic 4 years ago and so far it has been true! Only upgraded the gpu from a 6950 to the more current 290. Just in case you were considering Ebay for your parts, make sure the seller has a good return policy, I spent a lot of time repairing my GPU so that it would work since I could not return it.
Also, just for your own convenience, make sure you properly transfer files between hard drives on your new PC. If you fail to do so you might be forced to reinstall windows or whatever OS you go with.

How do you put specific files are certain hard drives? is there just an option in a menu?

on*

The only way that I could do that was to manually install every program so that I could direct it to the right hard drive. It was originally an ssd for windows and a 1tb for everything else. then I added another 1tb for my games and transfered all of them over, then I got a 2tb and tried to move it all onto the 2tb by dragging it. This caused my system to have issues finding the programs I had on the old drives. The only way to safely move a program between drives is to reinstall it on the drive you want it on as far as I know. For files such as pictures and music or docs you can just copy and paste them or drag them.

when first starting up your pc does it give you and option to put your os on a certain hard drive?

yea, you can also just unplug the hdd you don't want to put the os on