[Help Needed] 5 CPU/PCI-E PSU slots but 6 8 pin ports

Because of virtualisation and pass-through efforts, I have 2 GPUs for my computer. I got the Radeon RX 6700 XT on sale used and had been looking for them in part because some were available with 1 8 pin connector even though this one was not. The motherboard is an ASUS ProArt X670E- Creator WIFI motherboard and has two 8 pin plugs for CPU power as well as PD_12VR_PWR for more power being brought from the motherboard to the PCIe Slots.I don’t know what the proper cable layout is given that the CPU is a 7950 and the GPUs are an Asrock Challenger Pro RX 6700 XT that is pre-overclocked and a GTX 1070 that dell had in their OEMs.

What would be the recommended Power Supply cable configuration? The 7950x is running at ECOmode 105 W if that is a factor with the two 8 pin EPS cables plugged in for it.

Thank you for your help.

so what is the question?

The question is how do I configure the 8 pin connectors best to deal with the problem. Is it best to plug in one 6+2 pin in both graphics cards?

Is the PD_12VR_PWR something I should unplug and plug it into a graphics card instead?

In another forum the recommendation given is to only have one EPS 8 pin to the 7950x which is runing in 105 W eco mode should I maybe follow those instructions?

Did I write the question better now? And do you have any comments on the recommendation I received of using only one 8 Pin for EPS?

plug in all power cables if you have them, this lowers the vdroop across the cables since less amperage will be carried per cable
try to only use one connector per cable, some cables have pig tails, try not to use pig tails if you can as its still sending power over one set of cables

if you don’t have enough cables you can try and see if the system will work without the PD_12VR_PWR being connected, with it you get 60w going to the slots, without you only get 27w, most of the power draw from big gpus will be from the PCI-E connectors but they still need a bit of power from the PCI-Express slot

1 Like

Okay so you would recommend having both ATX_12V_1 and ATX_12V_2 to be plugged in?

if you got them, plug them in, if you don’t 1 is fine

I’ve got as many as my PSU can fit so I can two of them in or I can plug the PD_12V_PWR in with all the GPU plugs being plugged in.

I’d say your gpu need it more so got with the PD_12V_PWR

Okay, another person had said something about two EPS connectors being overkill for the power that a 7950x takes as one 8 pin can do over 200 W is there any good resource to learn about what the actual power delivery of 8 pin or 6+2 pin connectors is like?

well it depends on on how cheap they made the cable and the plug on the motherboard

cheap cable can’t carry much amps without getting a bunch of vdroop from resistance
plugs can have one of two types of pins solid core or hollow
solid can deliver a lot more power

as for resources I know all I know about power and cables from buildzoid on the Actually hardcore overclocking youtube channel but he likes to sprinkle in these facts in random videos and not talk about them again or in dedicated videos

the whole reason GPUs and motherboards have more connectors than they need according to the standards is because nobody likes to follow standards, and they will sell you a cheap PSU with cheap cables, or users will get the cheapest possible fire hazard and plug it into their PC

so in order to not be flooded with broken stuff and cover the warranties they over provision the connectors

also marketing, bigger number better to 90% of people even if its not actually true, this relies on peoples misconceptions and half truths about quality and features

1 Like

Okay, the PSU I got isn’t super cheap being a Deepcool PQ1000M, and I’m using eco-mode so since the PD_12V_PWR is a lot harder cable to get to I’ll leave it and just remove the extra one connected to the CPU.

deepcool isn’t on my recommended power supply brands list, I don’t have much experience with them
but they aren’t on my shit list either, so that’s probably good enough

not sure what the issue is…
the suplimentary power provided by PD_12V_PWR is for pci-e devices not your gpu.
your gpu will take 75w from the pci-e slot max, and that power is provided through the 24pin.
the rest will come from what ever 8 or 6 pin combo you plug into the gpu.

you can connect it (PD_12V_PWR) straight to any of the extra pci-e power leads your not using for your gpu’s.

atx 1 and 2 are to provide power to all the phases of the motherboard. you should connect at least 1 atx lead. but 2 will add headroom at load.

this is all in the manual mate. both online and the one that comes in the box. :confused:

I have this same motherboard. The description of the PD_12VR_PWR connector in the manual is poorly written. In one place it says it’s for extra power for PCIe, but in another place it says it’s for extra power to the USB-C port to allow PD charging. The latter is it’s actual purpose, so if you don’t need to charge from the USB-C port on your case (if present) you should be able to not plug power into the 6-pin PD_12VR_PWR connector.

2 Likes

The PD_12 socket is a nicety, for that board
IF this was a sever board, with A LOT of PCIe peripherals, then becomes a necessity

While it wouldn’t hurt to try it, since you are running processor on an Eco-mode
You don’t have enough PCIe [6+2] cables, to give it a go [2ATX-12V, 3 PCIe]
Could reach out to Deepcool, about getting another PCIe cable

I ended up doing what DigitalMan talked about when I dealt with it on the 16th. The one thing is in terms of cables and what not the DeepCool doesn’t seem to have more room for a PCI-E cable to be plugged in as there’s five 6+2 and then it’s just peripheral 6 plugs.

I’m referring to idea, of getting another PCIe cable through Deepcool
So you’d run 1 ATX12 + 4 PCIe, for experimentation, if the PD benefits the setup
…Otherwise, can just resume with the 3PCIe / 2 ATX12 arrangement

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.