Help: Much headaches with Asus prime X470 +Ryzen 3700x

So, I’ve been living with my build for 4 months or so. Major upgrade from my 10 year old Intel i7. That was a rock solid MSI MB run 24/7 with no issues.

Whether it is Win10 (crap) or the Asus Prime. It is giving me a lot of USB headaches.

USB is very important to me. I hacve a scanner, 2 printers, a 3D printer, USB wifi, 3-4 USB 3.0 harddrives and also transer images via SD card/USB reader, and transfer files from an android.

USB wifi often disconnects. This is via a powered USB 3.0 hub, or directly to the MB. When transfering data from the Android, it takes forever to open folder. Watching the top bar progress. Also, After a transfer, I often have to unplug and start over to transfer a different folder.

I will often have to replug the SD card reader several times to get it to mount. Even if I get the chime, it may not mount.

A few USB thumb drives also have issues.

All of these work fine on my notebook.

So is this a crap motherboard? Is this Windows 10?

Any suggestions. Pretty use all drivers are current.

Thanks

Max

Well You are not specific so it’s hard to write something concrete (what’s old OS - other device OS ?).

Some general ideas:

• update BIOS
  • check if Windows version matches one from other device - if no try to downgrade to that version on separate SSD so it’s easier to wipe it clean later on
  • check Win power options and select either Balanced or High Performance
  • fiddle with BIOS USB related settings (i.e. Legacy mode, xHCI workaround etc…)
  • check manual if some device collide with USB speed (did that already and I didn’t seen anything like that but You can check again) - although I doubt that is the case
  • try to troubleshoot one device at time
  • look in Win Device Manager for missing drivers
  • try updating USB / Chipset drivers

Performance on my end (tested it because I thought my SD card write is slower, it’s not - mistook it with my USB pen with operates 2x faster and is also performing within spec)

Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme + 3960X - stock

spec - Sandisk Extreme 400gb A2 (up-to write: 90MB/s read 160MB/s)

power plan Windows
USB Policy - Quick Removal
Power saver - 60- 70 (mostly 98% - 70MB/s)
Balanced - 78-82 ( 50% - 80-82MB/s)
High performance - same as balanced

USB Policy - Better performance - no difference

read: 91-93MB/s

spec - MX-LX 256G (up-to write - 140MB/s, read - 220 MB/s)

Write - 129-130MB/s
Read - 198-205MB/s

Of course I’m not performance issue is not affecting You.
Good luck :slight_smile:

NOTE about Android - I connect via USB to PC usb 2 slot and I did had fallowing issue on Windows 10 and IIRC also on Linux - copy file to Android, on Android device using file manager delete file, on Windows Explorer that file is still listed but of course inaccessible. Reboot helps.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.