Help me pick a Mini-PC

That sound’s awesome! An i5-powered NUC 13 Pro (or 12 Pro) would probably be my first choice in terms of NUCs.
Just to get another opinion, what are temps and acoustics like on your NUC?

Let me preface this by saying that I have not pushed the NUC very hard, but it’s dead silent. I don’t want to dissuade your purchase of anything else, but I did just have a UM350 from Minisforum die on me after approximately 6 months of use (one day it booted, no video out and then it turned itself off never to turn on again very weird). And the Minisforum had an audible fan noise which I wasn’t thrilled about. NUC is well made and silent. I’m happy so far with the purchase but I literally have very little experience with it so I cannot speak to longevity.

@HimTortons
You seem to be hellbent on getting a Miniforum irregardless what anyone says so just get one. There will obviously be issues but since price seems to be the main argument over anything else I fail to see what you want people to tell you.

Believe me, if that was the case, I would have already ordered one.
Also, cost really isn’t the main issue, silence is. I am just much more comfortable being disappointed by a product if said product is cheap. I have no problem potentially exceeding my budget if the machine I’m buying is the ‘perfect’ solution

Don’t worry about that; I haven’t ordered anything yet and this has been useful advice.

I’m guessing the NUC in question is the one with the i5-1340P, right?
Also, is there any particular reason why you got the 13 Pro instead of the 12 Pro? Where I live, the 13 Pro is about 50€ bucks more. This is not a huge gap, but I don’t really see where that money goes either since the architecturea appear extremely similar (other than the slightly higher clocks) ; I am not sure if I am missing something here

Funny enough it was because of availability… The 13 was shipped same day. Due to the untimely demise of my Minisforum unit I just wanted to get a machine back ul and running. You’re very right tho. It was a $50 delta for the 12 and there wasn’t much of a difference between the two…

1 Like

Its more than your budget, but TBH the P340 makes a great value argument for Laptop power, with workstation performance.

with V-Pro and the expansion slot it can grow into a hell of a little server.

1 Like

That does look really good, unfortunately they’re not selling it in Germany (not sure if they ever did?), which is a bummer. I might look for a used one floating around though
(that said, they are selling a new version of that machine, but even the cheap versions break my budget and those do not have enough RAM)

Just a little Update here: I ended up pulling the trigger on the Minisforum UM 560 XT. I was not planning on doing this (I actually wanted to get a NUC), but I found out that they’re selling it on Amazon with the same discount (which is good because it would make it much easier to send it back if necessary).
In terms of performance, it’s great, but I’m not sure about the noise levels. It’s generally not very loud (far quieter than the Laptop it’s replacing) and for a normal use case it would be great, but I’m not sure it’s “bedroom level” quiet. I’ll try playing with the fan profiles but I’m not sure if it’s the right thing for me.
My next option would be to try out the i5-powered NUC 12 Pro; if that’s still too loud, a company called Akasa makes passive cases for NUC boards. However, since that would a) cost a lot more and b) be a bit of a pain the arse, I want to be sure that this is actually the right thing for me. I’ve only found reviews for older generations of NUCs, but for those Gens it seemed to do the trick. If anyone has any experience with Akasa (or has any reviews of their stuff), I’d love to hear about it!
(or if there’s any other fanless/properly quiet alternative, I’d like to hear that as well; Though I do hope the NUC by itself will be quiet enough…)

Just don’t go to Geekom, check the reviews!