Help me find something fun to drive [Solved]

Any idea what model year I’m looking at specifically in the Lancer or just whatever I can afford?

V true. I’ll always remember my miata fondly. My next stupid modding car is either gonna be a Crown Vic sleeper, a Taurus or a Lancer. Just waiting for the right car.

I picked up an E350 for $15K with 45,500 on the clock not too long ago, that’s my next project I think.

Also, RE: lancer:

WARNING: NSFW audio.

Awesome thanks!

Lancers have a massive aftermarket and following. Any fairly recent model (2005/6 are favorites from what I understand, but the models post 2001 are all fine) If you don’t have a big budget or a lot of patience for modding I’d start with as close to an EVO as you can afford. Otherwise the ES is fine with mods.

2 Likes

I tend to like fun cars that are sleepers = Look normal but really fast.
I have always liked the Acura TSX. Think of them as a Honda Accord Si VTEC in an Armani suit.
The 4 cylinder has 200+ HP and the 6 has 280 HP. They start at about $13K.

I prefer the look of the 1st generation.

2012 TSX Special Edition is a sportier version of the TSX commemorating 25th anniversary of Acura.

I’m in the process of shopping for Honda S2000s. It’s a car that is a classic roadster, an absolute dream to drive in terms of acceleration and handling, and it phenomenally reliable. The VTEC engine in that car is damn near bulletproof.

In addition to that, they are cars that are bound to go up in value if you hang onto them a while. They’re certainly not going to depreciate aggressively as long as you don’t abuse it.

1 Like

Just about to buy a BRZ myself. Downsizing from an RX7 + LS1 as it’s very much track only now on our camera infested and congested roads (UK).

If I had a place to keep them I’d maybe keep the RX7 and a friend has a Honda 2000 for sale that’s been sat in barn for a couple of years so low milage but needs a new roof and some paint restoration but very cheap for cars that are starting to appreciate a little.

So yeah another vote for the H S2000 for good out of the box performance or just add a Kraftwerks SC kit for more power.

If I had a company like LHT near to me I’d be all over the S2000 as a fun project car. I did most of the RX7 conversion work myself but I’d rater go back to simple bolt on mods and pay a decent company to service it now I’m older. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s one major reason I’m looking at a Honda. Even all the guys you see driving around that beat the hell out of manage to get so far, I can only imagine if you actually took care of one it may run until the end of time.

That’s pretty nice looking, got that classy look, but still has an engine to back it up. Unlike my focus that looks fast but isn’t at all.

I’ll have a look at the S2000, it’s great that this forum has been more helpful than any other car forum I’ve been to. All I’m looking for is suggestions, and everyone here, even the guys posting big wheels have been helpful haha!

Well whatever you get hopefully its manual/stick, I’m assuming that is what you’re already looking at.

Otherwise you won’t have much fun with an automatic.

Want something fun to drive (and possibly die on)? Buy a bike. lol.

1 Like

Thats exactly why I got the Si. Fun, good handling, decent gas mileage even with my foot into it, and I beat on it every day with 0 issues. My only complaint is tires arent cheap for it, well good ones anyway. The HFP rims that came on it are in a weird size that isnt common at all. If you’re going to get something with a K series, go for the K20, not the K24. Aftermarket is bigger and the extra 400cc is not going to make up for that.

I did exactly this. 100% would recommend over a car any day. Much more bang for your buck if you dont mind the whole “you could die at any moment through no fault of your own because a text message is more important than you are” thing.

2 Likes

I was kinda embarrassed to suggest this car because a lot of people know what a fanboy I am, but this is me and my Subaru WRX on the track.

Fun level? It’s over 9000!

2 Likes

same. You will spend less and get more fun out of it. IMO mine was totally worth the 1400$

2 Likes

I mean, that’s what my eclipse cost me

1 Like

Fair point.

I guess the other question for OP is; is this your daily driver? Cause that might change things a bit

I don’t think it is; seems he’s keeping his focus and just wants a tinkernugget

1 Like

Sleepers typically also have the advantage of much more engine bay space if you want to do a swap or add forced induction. I can’t recommend sleepers enough.

I want to build a crown vic out to be a low teens track car for my next project

There used to be a guy that took a van to some autocrosses. Absolutely hilarious to watch, and he dumped it over on it’s side more than once.

1 Like