Help me find something fun to drive [Solved]

KIAs have a low entry cost, but tend to have a massive total cost to own because they’re built like novelty graphic lunchboxes.

All you need for the insurance drop is 10 years. Like I said earlier, look into a lancer or galant/eclipse from 3rd gen and newer.

Hes got a point, a galant vr4 could be a decent sleeper if you can find them. They arent as pretty as their sportier looking DSM counterparts but might not cost as much either.

1 Like

Mitsubishi Galant. LMAO.

I have no idea what you mean when you say “novelty graphic lunchboxes,” but it comes off negative as must of your utterances do. wtf does that mean?

2 Likes

big wheel

No, big wheels are built much more durably than Kias. How dare you slander big wheels like that?

5 Likes

I was going to put the original Big Wheel up but I couldn’t find a good pic. I knew though I liked this strange thing though. Definitely fun to ride.

lol typical from you. Thread is about being fun to drive as opposed to whatever you feel it’s about and a Galant is about a peasant tier as it gets.

vs.

They’re fun to drive tho

Yo @Devilzzz had the right idea. The big wheel is hands down the funnest ride in this thread

2 Likes

Go drive a Miata at a dealership, see how well you fit in one and see if it’s right for you. If that’s the case, spend $5000 on a very clean example of a second gen ('99 - '05) and you’ll have a blast. 90% of the second gen on the market are manual and they have a cult following and huge aftermarket.

Keep in mind this car weighs 2300lbs, so 140ish HP is enough to get you going.

I’ve got a '94 and while it’s good, I would have rather bought an '02 or so.

You can fit lots of fun stuff in a miata, but IMO, the best option is the AJ30 (3.0L V6, 240ish HP, can be tuned to ~400 NA, aluminum block)

If you’re looking for something of the 2-wheel variety, I’d look at the KTM 390 Duke as a good starter bike. I picked one up about 3 months ago and am liking it. If you’d like to know more about that, I can elaborate.

Sure. Enjoy it. Real fun. Whooo.

The good thing about miatas from that era is that there’s still some bolt-on supercharger kits available, and they still handle great with that kind of boost. Turbo gets to be a bit much if you have to take bad backroads into account, but it’s definitely a fun platform.

Only downside is that people will constantly tell you you’re driving a chick car.

1 Like

dude why r u being so rude and mean-spirited

That’s why I’m running a V6 in mine. The 1.8L powerplant was good, but it really needed to be twice as powerful for modern driving. When it was designed, it was totally fine. The problem is that 25 years later, the car is a bit sluggish.

That said, best thing you can do to the car is put 15x8 6ul’s on it and koni yellows. After that, do your brakes (because you’ll need them with big power) and start throwing bolt-ons into the car until the engine blows up. (don’t try to run 15lbs of boost through a supercharger on stock internals with no secondary injectors for charge cooling) Then V6.

Only downside is that people will constantly tell you you’re driving a chick car.

The only guy who has ever told me that was the same guy driving a 3rd gen GM F-body.

Proceeded to burn out of the parking lot and almost take out the trees on the far side of the road, so I’m not upset about that.

Moral of the story is:

M iata
I s
A lways
T he
A nswer
2 Likes

Ya I’m definitely looking at the Lancer. Seems like a solid car, biddy of mine has one and it served him and he drives like an idiot…

1 Like

I’ve seen nothing but problems with 3rd gen eclipse. Not that they’re not fun, but the maintenance is going to cost you the value of the car at least once to keep it on the road for more than a year in my experience.

hah, don’t need to tell me twice

Disgusting.

My last tinkering car was a 3rd Gen. Eclipse. I was lucky enough to find one of the unobtanium bolt on superchargers for the v6 (no room for a turbo in the engine compartment unless you get the 4 inline) and had a ton of fun with it. Parts were almost always cheaper than miatas of the same age, but sometimes they were an absolute bitch to find.

1 Like

Miatas have affordable replacement parts, but when you go to add power, you can easily drop 10K on a $2500 car.

That said, the car gets close to C5 vette speed though.

Speaking of fun cars, C5 vette is not a bad option. You need to know them though, because they have a tendency to be plagued with issues, but you can easily push 600RWHP through those V8’s and they’re getting cheap now. The only problem is that insurance isn’t great on them.

I’m paying $300 every 6 for full coverage on my '94 miata “no modifications” and I’ve got an accident on my record, so it’s definitely possible to see lower prices, but I’d expect something around $200.

Lancer Evolution was pretty neat to drive. I had the chance to drive one of the FE editions from 2015 but they only made that with a standard transmission AFAIK. Couldn’t even get the mother into 1st gear. Gave up and had my buddy drive it around the block a few times XD.