Help me find a good Linux laptop for school

My school just recently lost their Apple Distinguished School grant and we have to replace our provided Macbook Airs with our own devices. I'm wanting to find a good portable laptop that I can use with Linux. Right now, I'm looking at buying the ASUS Flip 2 Chromebook and installing GalliumOS. Advice or recommendations?

tl;dr I'm looking for a Linux laptop with a <15" 1080p screen and a decent CPU and iGPU for some Hearts of Iron. My budget is anything under $500.

Put slackware on that macbook :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can't, it's school property.

Think they will notice :slight_smile: lmao.

I still find the Acer Travelmate for Education lappies the best offering on the market for Linux for the moment. They come with linux preinstalled, extended business class UEFI and security, discrete TPM chips, very sturdy housing that you can actually sit on as per manufacturer specification (they specify and guarantee a point load of over 60 kg on any part of the housing without problem), business class battery quality, and what's most important, the keyboards are good and don't feel cheap but type well (which is a very important asset of you come from apple and go to budget non-apple notebooks), and the displays are not technological wonders of nature, but they are very visible and clear, and are guaranteed without dead or stuck pixels. All of of that for a very low price considering what you get. The performance is of course limited for gaming, but then you can still do that on a console, on an Android device, or on a desktop PC, and it's enough for red eclipse and other games on linux. With a nice fast config, KDE on Fedora or Ubuntu (KDE Neon is great), or even Solus OS, anything is a speed demon for productivity. Linux users are spoiled lol

1 Like

You can add ram for another 35 bucks and it has a spot for an m2 drive
Edit sorry saw you wanted less than 15". Anyways this might be worth a shot if you can let that part go.

Lol, I already bought that laptop and gave it to a family member. It's personally too large and bulky for me.

Where are all the people that recommend the thinkpads?

1 Like

Cool did you like it otherwise about to buy one for my main linux laptop.

A Linux laptop thread isn't complete without a trip to System76.

1 Like

Above my budget sadly.

How about a lenovo x1 carbon or a older xps 13 ? Its in that $300-450 range.

Lenovo x1 carbon is better :slight_smile: