Help Me Diagnose Power Fluctuation Issue Without Burning My House Down

Okay, so the outlet on the far side of my room is on the bathroom circuit, perfect! extension cord, I chose you!

Anyways, thanks for the help guys. Might pick up that kill a watt @Yea_boom seems useful to have for things like this.

In the USA, standard wall power socket is supposed to be able to deliver 10A safely. That's 1200watts easily; so unless there's something broken in your socket in particular, the issue is in your computer.

My first thought is, just go up to 750watt power supply. You NEVER want to be so close to max rated power of your supply. Even though the ratings they put on the supply are usually 80% of what it can handle for short periods of time, they will wear out from heat stress etc much faster. For reliability and lifespan of your power supply, you want to get one that will only be utilizing 50-70% of what's "available" when the pc is running full bore.

Who said a competent electrician wired my outlet? there's chicken wiring all over this house lol. I'd like to upgrade my psu at some point to push some OCs a little harder but i've already determined it's not the issue.

well.. if you want to know if your outlet is the issue, measure the AC voltage while under heavy load. If there's resistance in the circuit form poor wiring, the voltage will drop.

While I did not measure it, the LEDs flickering in my case would be consistent with a drop in voltage wouldn't they?

Not necessarily.

There's a lot of stepping down along the way before power reaches the LED's. They aren't just like an incandescent bulb screwed into a light socket. For those LED's to flicker would mean that your power supply is completely turning on-off really fast.

1 Like

Ah okay. The PSU is supposed to turn off when it's not receiving the correct amount of power though right? whether it be too low or too high?

Yes... or maybe it's being over drawn and can't supply enough so it drops out.

But the thing is that happened within a minute consistently on that outlet, like, it did not fail to happen I recreated it 5 times (till I saw flicker not a total crash) yet on the other circuit hasn't happened even once.

1 Like

Well thought that other outlet in my room was good but guess not? trying back on the kitchen outlet another time.... maybe it working fine was a fluke and i really do need a new PSU. I find it odd that it worked for so long though. How I could push it farther and have nothing happen immediately is beyond me. Going to order a new PSU Friday.