Help me choose a Trackball Mouse!

I have only used the old Apple ones and the ones with the ball on top. One thing I do like about it was being able to use one finger to move and have a second finger resting on it for more resistance for finer controll.

Got one that looks like that somewhere around here in a box, except it is white and doesnā€™t glow. And it was made in the 90ā€™s.

1 Like

Ok now Iā€™m having some second thoughts about my mouse choice actuallyā€¦ Maybe I will do the top mount one after all. Iā€™m going to costco tomorrow so Iā€™ll see if they have them.

My main question is what is the difference in top and side mounted mice. Theres not much in the form of a video explanation.

1 Like

Well found this site, seems like they might have that info there.

2 Likes

On a side note found a picture of the one I have, now to spend the next week digging through parts boxes.

1 Like

The modern equivelant of that is like 150 200 bucks.

Good site but not the most helpful sadly 3:

Yeah, looked at geekhack and wikipedia and mostly just seems down to preference and people that use it for extended periods of time get thumb fatigue from what I am seeing.

3 Likes

Thats actually enough of a reason for me to do a top mounted one instead TBH. But Iā€™ll be in the city tomorrow so I guess Iā€™ll see what I can find and if I can compare them.

1 Like

I saw that one, but itā€™s even more expensive that what I paid for my G502ā€¦even in wired form. These guys are not without a sense of humor though. It says ā€œhugeā€ on the palm rest of that model.

I think you may be at higher risk for RSI on a thumb ball, but it probably depends on your innate susceptibility. The top ball is typically operated by your middle and index finger, but I think you could get away with just your middle if you needed your index on a button for twitch reactions.

2 Likes

That was kind of the point of my earlier post. (My mistake for posting a picture of a trackball that you didnā€™t like.)

I found that I got better control with a top-mounted (finger controlled) trackball over a side-mounted (thumb controlled) trackball. I am sure the with more practice I could have got better at gaming with a thumb trackball. For Windows use the Logitech thumb trackball was fine.

As soon as my broken arm healed up I went right back to my mouse.
I almost never use my Wacom tablet, and I am an artist. It works great, Iā€™m just better with a mouse.
I would love to play with a 3Dconnections Spacemouse puck. I have experimented with lots of weird controllers light pens, etc. But the weirdest was this Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick+Mouse.

The part with the ball functioned as my mouse pointer.
It sucked in Quake and was usable in Windows.

1 Like

Used to have the Sidewinder until it died, then went looking for a replacement and that was all they had besides the gravis gamepad, so I got the gravis because that looked like it would be really easy to break.

Ok I tried the MX Ergo today at Best Buy while we were out and about. Iā€™m not /quite/ sure that I would like the side mounted ball. I have a feeling the top mount is going to be better.

Also, 16GB San Disk USBā€™s are on sale for 5 bucks at best buy. I just bought a pile.

1 Like

Dug through the boxes in the garage and found my trackball, still works perfectly. Still looks brandnew. Think Iā€™ll just leave it beside my keyboard.
Mostly because I can enjoy a new level of lazyness since my mouse sits up and to the right on my deskā€¦

For 3 years iā€™ve been rocking an M570 trackball.
I had the famed double click problem on the two main buttons, the solution was as simple as changing the two main buttons to Omron 50M switches (thank you Aliexpress!).
The ball that comes with it is a little bit scratchy, which can be solved by buying an older red Logitech ball or red Perixx ball and in my use case the feet that hold the ball in place get dirty in less than a week, thankfully cleaning them is very easy.
Iā€™m thinking about picking up an Elecom HUGE latelyā€¦

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™m indecisive of if I even want one anymore now. At least right now. In the future Iā€™ll more than likely get one.

Also the huge is HUGE. Its funny. :3

1 Like

What about New Wireless Mouse that recently pass by FCC https://fccid.io/YWO-M-IR07DR

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71aqPca5YJL.SL1496.jpg

OK a few things hereā€¦
Older trackballs, were designed for those with hand problemsā€¦but we all love themā€¦Better to Fix it sooner them get the operations laterā€¦

ELECOM has a problemā€¦
The control program needs to be fixed. All the selections are more for Programming(Imo) then almost anything elseā€¦why would you need ā€˜returnā€™, or switch a button ā€˜OFFā€™ā€¦
And the hardware needs a fixā€¦
MS only allows 5 buttons, and can Program those buttons easily. But the above is 8ā€¦so you need the program for the last 3ā€¦ My suggestion is to Move the switches INSIDE, to be the Left/right/centerā€¦and Program them, and let MS play with the other 5ā€¦
Any takers??

A: Necro

B:

Japanese markets have different uses than american markets.

From memory, I was playing with the app on a mac.

Then why turn OFF the buttons, its OFF, it cant be usedā€¦
Just dont program it, but keep reading the post, as other programs can use it thenā€¦
kinda stupid, and if you know a program they use that we dontā€¦tell meā€¦ Iv never seen many programs that use those settingsā€¦ As well as NOT programming for Specific keys from Other programsā€¦ the Alt programming is abit off, as its Push this button Then the nextā€¦its not HOLD this button, push the nextā€¦