Help me choose a new phone

This is my main issue with roms. Sure, it can extend the life of your phone, but let’s be serious, it’s not real support in the full sense of the word. You have no warranty, no guarantee of continued OS updates, no protection from damage or changes to the OS accidental or otherwise. They even state ok their website that you take full responsibility for anything that happens when using their OS. If that’s enforceable or not is another question. But it’s clear that your just getting an OS and you just have to trust it’s safe and hope you’ll get another one. You’re also out of luck when it comes to any future firmware patches.

To be clear, there’s nothing wrong with that, but it’s not oranges to oranges. You really need to consider your use case, what kind of support do you need for hardware and software, how long do you plan to keep the device in service, etc.

I’ve been impressed with Apple on this front not because I’m a fanatic (maybe I am now???), but because when I dropped my phone I was able to book an appointment -while on holiday and travelling on the road- and have my screen replaced in 1 hour, for free, and with a warranty using original parts.

So you just have to add it all up, I might be over thinking those kind of purchasing decisions but it’s worth laying out your top choices and figuring out it’s total cost for the life of the phone and the considerations you’ll need to make in regards to support, daily use, replacement parts, and security etc. It might give you a better idea of what will make a good choice.

Zenfone 6? Its got your Lineage OS and cheap too.

They still make those?

I just thought about it, is there a flip phone smart phone that isn’t a meme or a million dollar folding phone? Like I doubt that theres anything in like the 2GB ram area, but maybe someone knows and I don’t.

Doesn’t look like it

1 Like

Good points, counter point, used galaxy folder 2.

1 Like

In middle school, I thought the ideal setup was to have a flipphone or really small smartphone serve as a hotspot, and use a ipad/ipod for other things smartphones would be used for.

So I’ve been thinking about this. I have a V20 thats actually worth money. I have a case and a 256 GB SD card and a ting sim… I’ll just get like 250 or 300 bucks for it fuck it. I’ll get a better one later, and it seems the rom community is treating this thing like the new galaxy S3. I don’t think it’ll loose rom support ANY time soon.

As it stands, economically, an iphone 7 or 8 makes the most sense for me right now. I don’t know the OS anymore, and honestly I’m not afraid of iOS being out of date for a few months. So whenever that phone goes out of updates I’ll start saving money and I’ll just upgrade. It won’t matter at that point I don’t think. I’ll be in an easier position to do the 12, if thats out at that point, or an SE3, which would address what I don’t like about the SE2, probably.

The SE2 would be perfect, however theres no camera zoom. I know that might sound silly, that literally kills the whole damn thing for me. Its like having a first gen selfie came on the back of your phone but with higher res. Nah. SE3 will have zoom and, based up the last few versions, will probably just be an iphone X. Or XR. Something.

So ye. My other choices are the Galaxy A series, and the unihertz titan. But honestly, if I can keep it low as possible in price, be stable, get updates, IDC. Imma just go for it.

I think its still valid tho. I need my better headphones, my wireless ones just are not gunna cut it. And I’m not spending 400 dollars for bluetooth headphones that sound just ok. Screw that crap.

So I bought an ipod 5.5 gen.

As well, music is important to me. So if I can just have that with no one to interrupt it but me myself and I, hell yeah. Plus podcasts, a video player, some emulators… Sure. Why wouldn’t you do that? Same reason theres STILL an ipod touch. Theres enough people to want that thing and do the same gig. Its what I used to do just to not be overwhelmed by my devices.

1 Like

I’d say wait for iOS14. The current version is a bit insecure.

1 Like

I mean I’ll wait until my phone annoys the shit out of me if I have to, but if I can move quickly I’d rather do so and come out a few bucks ahead while I can.

I’m not kidding when I say opportune moments are coming up quick.