[Help] Making or modding my own SteelSeries "FreeStratus"

Hey!

I need to get a portable controller that has all the inputs of more modern console controllers (a la Xbox One/PS4), 4 face buttons, D-Pad, two control sticks, two bumpers, and two triggers. Ideally, also “select/back,” “start,” and a “guide button.” Those last three are pretty easy to live without.

SteelSeries has released two controllers whose form factor are almost exactly what I’d want, the Free and the (original) Stratus (not the XL). I tried contacting them to see if they still support the devices–if there was a firmware update or anything that would allow them to run on Windows and Android–and they said that they’re legacy devices. SteelSeries doesn’t sell or support them anymore. Bummer.

The Stratus was for iOS devices, it had four shoulder buttons. All the ‘cardinal’ inputs, and one “pause” button in the center.

The Free was for Android devices, it was similar but only had two shoulder buttons. And had “1” and “2” in the center area like Select and Start.

There’s also a similar controller called the Drone Evolution, but its quality seems lower and the placement of its “triggers” looks pretty weird.

So, I’m having a really hard time finding a controller that suits my needs and am wondering if it is possible (and arguably reasonable) to make my own. It seems like there’s an abundance of parts available for people who repair controllers themselves, and there’s also enough maker-oriented chips and boards that it’s probably a thing that “could be done.”

1. First of all, is this the right place to be asking about this? I’m sorry if it’s not.
  2. Are there any “kits” that are suited to this kind of project?
  3. Would it be easier to start from scratch, or to modify an existing controller like the original Stratus? One can be had for like $25.

Edit: I forgot to mention this, I’d like to use the controller with a Windows 10 laptop and a Chromebook. Via Bluetooth.

Cheers!

Whats your goal for this modification? Is it to use with your phone? What’s your end result?

1 Like

Sorry, I meant to mention that!

I would like to be able to use it with my Widnows 10 laptop (preferably just with xInput, as an Xbox controller) and with my Chromebook, which as far as I know just behaves like an android device in terms of supporting stuff.

Edit: And being able to charge it via USB-C would be ideal.

So why not just use an existing Xbox 360 wireless? I havent tried them on chromeos but I can’t imagine they won’t work.

They don’t use Bluetooth and would require an additional dongle. And, like I said, I’m trying to get a portable (very small) controller like the SteelSeries ones I mentioned.

Edit: FWIW, I was using a Playstation DualShock 4 controller for a while, but it takes up more space in my bag than I’d like and its drivers started acting up a lot in Windows. For what a replacement controller would cost, it wouldn’t be worth the expense to me. I’d rather end up with a better, solution even if it cost more time and resources/effort.

Ps3/4 controllers are Bluetooth and should work. There’s also the steam controller.

I’m just having a hard time justifying adding a Bluetooth to a controller in my head.

What do you mean by “adding Bluetooth to a controller?” Plenty of controllers already support it. The modern options are just all too big and don’t work well for me.

Well your OP talks about modding a controller or even building one from scratch so I assumed you wanted to take something specific and add that.

If the dualshock design is too large I’m araid I don’t know of anything smaller. I don’t think I can realistically help but at least we know what your looking at now.

Good luck.

1 Like

Well, the Stratus and Free (and the Drone Evolution) are all already Bluetooth devices. When I’m asking about modding them, I’m asking if there’s a way to make them compatible with devices like my Windows Laptop and Chromebook–whether that’s hardware or software being modified to accomplish it.

There is some measure of precedent for doing this sort of thing, but I don’t have much understanding of it at all personally. This guy allegedly mods a PS2 controller to be a Bluetooth controller.

If it’s possible to add a Bluetooth module, a battery, a board, and a switch to a PS2 controller, it doesn’t seem too farfetched to me that one could be built “from scratch” either.

That said, 8BitDo does have a controller that seems a little smaller than Xbox/Playstation controllers for not having the “palm grips.” It’s just clearly bigger than the Stratus/Free from SteelSeries.

If I remember what someone said on the chrome os subreddit. 360 controller works out if the box. The Xbox one controller needed some packages

Ah yeah I got ya. Windows is pretty easy. Chromeos is going to be a bit of a different story. You might need to be able to run a full Linux OS on top to make that happen. If you find something that is good for chromeos then Windows is a no brainer.

1 Like

Xbox 360 controllers don’t use Bluetooth, IIRC. And for Windows they need an adapter. Do you remember how it connected to the Chromebook?

It would be great if I could use a used or broken 360 controller as a starting point, for sure.

1 Like

I’ll post links to the different threads in the chromeos subreddit tomorrow as I’m on mobile now.

But from what I see, the controllers that aren’t both wired and Bluetooth they are just plug and play. The ones that are Bluetooth and wired, you have to disable the chromebooks Bluetooth functionality.

Some people did experience bootloops tho when plugging in the controller in to the chromebook. Supposedly it’s because of a power problem with the controller wanting too much power.

1 Like