Help installing and using Nvidia texture tools

I would like to install and use NTT on CentOS7
I could not figure out yum so I installed git and used GitHub to aquire NTT

I am unsure if I actually installed it. I set my git directory to root and that is where it downloaded the NTT files.

I have no clue how to launch this tool and the api instructions seem of no use.

I would like to use this to bulk convert files to dds after they have been processed

This is more of a learning experience because I am aware that I could just install gimp.

So questions I have

How do I know if I installed the program?
How would I install it with yum?
If I installed it how would I know how to launch it?

How do I use the program is a question I have as well, but I feel that’s something different all together. But help with that is appreciated after the other items are addressed

ps. Thanks for any time spent responding
Sorry for errors I sent this on mobile.

pps. If anyone cares I ultimately wanted to use this to help mod Morrowind textures. And also play with texturing compression

So, update on what I have learned.

I didn’t install NTT I only cloned it to the directory I set earlier.

I need to use make to compile it and then I may be set to try and run it.

I will have to get the developer tools installed first which I believe is easy enough. They contain make I believe.

I still appreciate any input, but I intend to keep hacking away at this no matter what.

@SgtAwesomesauce well you are on a roll today might check this one out too.

@Cakepans I added the “helpdesk” tag to your title. It helps your thread to be easier to find from people who are helping around here.

1 Like

Thanks, I will remember tagging in any further posts :slight_smile:

1 Like
sudo yum -y install epel-release
sudo yum -y install nvidia-texture-tools

sudo run the command as root.

yum pakcage manager

-y automatic yes to questions

install self explanatory

epel-release the package that adds the Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux repository.

NTT is in EPEL:

https://centos.pkgs.org/7/epel-x86_64/nvidia-texture-tools-2.0.8-13.el7.x86_64.rpm.html

I get notified of all helpdesk threads, otherwise I’d have seen it earlier.

Now, let’s actually answer your questions:

Are you new to Linux? If so, I’d recommend getting familiar with the way we do package management. ('ll follow up with some links)

Packages should almost always be installed through the package manager, and you can tell if it’s installed with yum info packagename

I’ve kinda gone over that above.

If you need to find a package, you can use yum search searchterm to list available packages.

it depends. you typically just run the command. For example, if you want to install GCC, you’d do:

sudo yum install gcc

Then to run it, you’d do:

gcc

I can’t help you there. I’m not familiar with it.

4 Likes

Firstly, awesome response.
Thank you for the yum rundown.

I am new to Linux.
I will look into how the community does package management.

Knowing what to look up and learn is a lot of my struggle, Googling how to install X with yum or git has only gotten me so far.

Thanks for the help!

With the help posted by sgtawesomesauce, I was able to install NVTT
I am unsure if the version in yum was up to date as the one on git has more recent changes.

I discovered how to access the different tools just by typing in the names below.
I managed to convert 2 files to dds format but only one at a time. I wanted to try and do a bulk

nvassemble -Create cubemap DDS files from multiple images.
nvcompress -Compresses the given infile into a dds file.
nvddsinfo -Shows available information about the DDS image file.
nvdecompress -Decompresses the given infile into an image file.
nvimgdiff -Able to show the difference between the two provided images.
nvzoom -Scales the image file with support for scaling and some filters.

This project is really bulking up, I want to try and enable cuda, write a script to help make using the tools easier, update the version possibly.