Help in creating a 27 monitor PC for day trading

Patiently waiting on your recommendation :sweat_smile:

What im working on today haha. Swapping cpus on “G5s”

3 Likes

I am just a CS student who knows some hardware and software. All I can do is read reviews and ask arround.

Have you looked at a Dell or HP workstation? I believe some of them are quad GPU “ready”.

You mentioned SuperMicro … this one sounds interesting, probably be loud though as most of SM’s stuff is.

[SYS-7049GP-TRT] https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/7049/SYS-7049GP-TRT.cfm
• Dual Socket P (LGA 3647) support:
Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors; 3 UPI up to 10.4GT/s
• 16 DIMMs; up to 2TB ECC 3DS LRDIMM, up to DDR4-2666MHz
• 8 Hot-swap 3.5" drive bays (2 SATA3 ports by default)
• 4 PCI-E 3.0 x16 (double-width), 2 PCI-E 3.0 x16 (single-width), 1 PCI-E x4 (in x8) slots
Titanium Level
• 2x 10GBase-T ports via Intel X550, 1 Dedicated IPMI port
• 1 VGA, 2 COM, 4 USB 3.0 (front/rear), 2 USB 2.0
• 4 heavy duty fans, 4 exhaust fans, 2 active heat sink with
optimal fan speed control
• 2000W Redundant Titanium Level (96%) Power Supplies

Why 27 fhd monitors when you can get e.g. 6 or 9 4k TVs for less money probably… Anyway, sonnet has pcie enclosures if you want more than 4 gpus

I built a smaller system for CCTV, using a Dell precision workstation and 8x dp monitors from Dell (for signage). Pass through is super nice and makes the cabling a lot easier, one cable for every two monitors. Tripp lite active DP cables for lots of length and active USB 3 cables too.

I skimmed this so forgive me if it was already said but don’t forget the UPS. Trading and server grade equipment seem to warrant this.

3 Likes

Hey guys, so I’m back. all the parts are here and everything is working! even the ECC ram!!!

My problem right now is that when I connect all 4 NVS 810 GPUs the PC doesn’'t post. If I only use 2 GPUs then it does. I went into the BIOS and changed the setting from the cards from x16 to x4x4x4x4 on pcie 1, then pcie 2 from 8x to x4x4, pcie3 from x16 to x4x4x4x4 and pcie 4 from x8 to x4x4.

I think i read somewhere that THAT’S what I had to do. Though when I do… it doesn’t really do anything other than lighting up… and I also see the LEDs on the board cycle (the same cycle they do before I hear the post beep, but this time, they just keep looping).

Thanks everyone! I need to deliver this PC by Friday, so any help is greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

What did you buy? sounds like a Ryzen Threadripper?

PCIe bifurcation (x8x8, x4x4 etc) is for special applications, like riser cards or nvme drive carriers… can’t see how that would impact GPU function.

I’m thinking there’s not enough power on the PCIe bus… some of the quad SLI boards had an extra power connector near the top of the bus, to feed in extra juice. Even though the cards have their own power inputs, there might be something going on there?

You mentioned it works with 2 GPU, what about 3 GPU?

Again, need a list of what hardware you ended up with.

1 Like

Hi, I have:
Gigabyte Aorus X399 Xtreme
TR 2920X 12core/24threads
128GBs ECC Memory - Crucial 16GB DDR4 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Server Memory CT16G4WFD8266
4 x Nvidia NVS 810
Samsung 512GBs NVME PCI4 970 PRO
EVGA Supernova P2 1600Watt Platinum

Other: NZXT kraken x62
2 x 4tb wd red hdds
dvd+rw (don’t judge)
corsair 760T Case
and of course RGB strips

I’ve plugged in both 8pin CPU power and the additional 6pin power located close to the SATA ports

And no, it doesn’t work with 3 GPUs either. I mean, it keeps cycling… im thiking of letting cycle all night to see it will turn on. Cuz when I put 1 gpu it boots fast, 2 gpus, it boots in 2 min, I’ve already given it 10min to boot with 3 or 4… should I give it more?

like ryzen 7 gen 1 right after launch? hahaha. those took about 30min if i remember correctly

1 Like

What does the code readout show while it’s cycling?

Can you put each GPU in a different system to confirm they all post?

1 Like

yes, they all post. brb. let me take many pictures of this, cuz they change a lot. but they do cycle.

1 Like

HAHAHAHAHA IT POSTED!!!

All I had to do was “Enable ‘Above 4G Decoding’”

Thanks anyways! Even though you didn’t specifically say it, if gave me the hint to look into “why not x4x4x4x4” and I found it.

I might post new problems as I try to finish this build, but for now, i’m good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

sweet!

1 Like

was about to post this – enable above 4g decoding.

1 Like

hahaha, thanks anyways Wendell :slight_smile: don’t unsubscribe yet, I need to test if it does work with 27 monitors hahaha

1 Like

And here I sit thinking setting up proper networks and getting audio working reliably is hard, had no idea display solutions that are out there are this hard!

Hey Wendell or anybody, how do I make sure my ECC RAM is actually working on ECC? is there anything else I should check tht’s working “correctly”.

I’ve disabled CSM on the BIOS, i’ve just installed my nvme disk as a RAIDABLE drive through UEFI RAID and both hdd are now in Mirror mode through UEFI RAID also.

I’m installting all drivers now.

again, how do I make sure i’m actually running ECC, thanks!