Help identifying types of math

So I’m about to take a placement test for college and need a refresher on math. I’m currently looking over the practice test and there’s a few questions that I need a refresher on but don’t know what they’re called to look up how to do the question. If yall could help me out that would be appreciated

I need help figuring out what questions 4, 10, 11, 15, 16, 18, 19, and 20 are called so I can look them up to get a refresher on how to do it.

Edit: Changed the link to the right link, mb guys

4 - Statistics
10 - Geometry
11 - Cross-multiplication (divide down to base element, then multiply to give desired output)
15 - Fraction
16 - Algebra
18 - Algebra (algebraic function)
19 - Set Theory
20 - Geometry (or Vector)

I am not the brightest when it comes to math, but willing to help.

2 Likes

Khanacadamy.org

2 Likes

Thanks, however I meant like what specifically they’re called in algebra, Like algebra covers a whole lot of stuff, same with the geometry one

I just realized I linked the wrong one, there were 3 on the site and I had them all opened mb, here is the right one I was referring to

To make talking about this easier, here is a guide on the math plugin feature.

4) Distributive property, multiply all parts of the left expression with all parts of the right expression.
(x + 7) * (x^2 – 3x + 2) = x*(x^2 – 3x + 2) + 7 * (x^2 – 3x + 2)
From there you simplify it down.

10) For working with graphs, you need to understand the basic shapes they can produce.
Basic cheat-sheet:

• x^2 is a parabola open towards positive Y
  • -x^2 is upside down (open towards negative Y)
    I’d recommend something like Geogebra to check if your result matches.

11) They are asking for the domain of the function
y = -2x^4 + 7 defines certain values for Y given a value for X (sometimes these functions are writen as f(x) = ...

1. -2 tells us whatever comes behind this is twice the value inverted
  2. x^4 tells us the values are squared, so we get a parabola
  3. +7 the expression at x = 0 is 7

15) Algebra
Not quite sure what they are asking (language barrier), but I would simplify the expression.

16) Geometry, can’t help you with that at all.
Maybe the wikipedia article on Congurency can help you?

18) Algebra… lots of it
Best bet is to look for cheat sheets with logarythmic functions and algebra.

Two I found:

19)
(Edited: Made a mistake coppying an old cheat sheet)
Apply this rule:
\sqrt[n]{x} = x^{\frac{1}{n}}
Then simplify the equation.

20) Geometry
If you understand how trigonometric functions work, tell me!

4 Likes

Huh? Can you double check please, maybe it’s a Tex mistake n-th root of x is equal to pow(x, 1/n) … i.e. need a positive exponent (Wolfram alpha or sci py to the rescue) :slight_smile:

Yes I’m pretty sure its a positive exponent (otherwise my mortgage payment would be entirely out of whack)

2 Likes

Copied that from a cheat sheet I wrote a while ago, seem to have slipped up in the line there.

Edit:
What I meant to write:
\sqrt[n]{x} = x^{\frac{1}{n}}
What I got it mixed with:
\frac{1}{\sqrt[n]{x}} = \frac{1}{x^{\frac{1}{n}}} = x^{-\frac{1}{n}}

I remember soh cah toa
Do they still call prob 10 quadratic equations?

and the check mark over the “i” was the square root of negative one, an irrational number.

I would have remembered more but it was the late 70’s early 80’s
Good luck on your test :slight_smile:

15 is just a quadratic equation: x^2 -8x + 15 = 0
which you can rewrite to (x - 5)(x - 3) = 0

I believe this is an imaginary number (square root of negative one). I think (or rather checked recently that) irrational numbers are the ones like pi - non-repeating, never ending and unique.

I once had a book with a “Kaplan” in the title and it had a lot of math shortcuts. I found it helpful in college and would have been super awesome for my highschool years. I got this from a local second hand book seller. Unfortunately I could not recently find its full topic, all I get are the GREs and SATs and all other standardized test acronyms. Damn mass marketing buried a good book’s title…

2 Likes

Thanks so much bro!

One last question, I didn’t see this on the practice test but I know it will be on there, what’s the algebra problem where you have 2 equations, you replace y with the other equation (or x), and you have 2 possible outcomes for both x and y,

1 Like

Could be Linear equation system or Quadratic Equation