Help identifying CPU OC instability

I have not tried overclocking the northbridge yet. I built the computer almost two years ago and told myself I would do a multi oc, then bclk oc to get an idea on how far the cpu would go then turn to NB and HT and lastly ram... but never really made it past the final cpu oc, whoops.

That might be a good way to go, at least I would know for sure it'd be stable then.

How do you test a NB OC, same runs of P95, Cinebench, Aida, etc?

I tested with prime95 and Cinebench R15 render test.
I also tried 4.9Ghz but the system crashed after the socket temp went over 65°C.

ok, if i don't lock up in the next few hour ill drop back to stock and work on ocing the NB.

Haven't hit that temp yet on the cpu package yet thankfully, I have hit 76 on the socket a few time and could see the multi's drop to 7 from 22 on one or two cores and then stopped the test.

4.7 - 4.8 seems to be the max range im going to get with this 8350 under the EK L240 water kit, at least thermally speaking

Edit: thanks for the reference scores :D

Well i had a similar issue with normal cpu multiplier overclocking.
I couldnt get my multiplier to go much higher then 23, nomatter how much voltage i trew at the chip.

I have to note that i have 1600mhz corsair vengeance ram, which was overclocked on the picture to arround 1920mhz, due the NB overclock.
So keep that in mind.

Ok, and i hadn't had an issue with my 4.6 oc that is sitting at 21.5 but bumping it to 22 and 22.5 have had the sporadic lock ups the p95 and Aida didn't catch in 9 hours each.

I think ive got 1866mhz HyperX Fury that is actually underclocked atm just to remove it as a potential instability as i was working on my cpu oc, and like the nb, i haven't gotten back to it yet lol

Well i do have to say, in all honnesty.
If you are able to get your overclock rock stable at 4.6Ghz / 4.7Ghz.
Then i would say save that particular profile.
Because in all fairness, there isnt realy much real world performance to gain anymore pretty much after 4.6 / 4.7Ghz.
Those real world gains are that small that they are not realy worth it most of the times.
The problem with FX cpu´s are just obvious the per core performance and ipc are realy lacking behind for todays standards.

1 Like

Yeah, I can see that already. I had started at a 4.4 OC on stock cooler for a bit and then picked up the NH-D14 and the jump to 4.6 was noticable to me for sure on start up, and a little in game but not tons. then I had fans dying on me left and right (still not sure why) and dropped back to 4.4 while i waited for fans to come in.

I have yet to notice a difference from 4.6 to 4.7/.8 other than boot times as ive been working at it.

Ideally, i'd like to retire this rig to a nas or htpc after Skylake-X drops and plan on picking up one of the hex core parts and the next amd card >RX480 as I've already got a 1440p 144hz freesync monitor and my 280x is starting to show its age.

If you need more tips, this is the Bible I use for FX8350 overclocking.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard#

1 Like

awesome, thanks for linking that. I know i've read through that once before but couldn't find my way back to it after the first read through.

I got some pretty good gains in Cinebench with straight forward overclocking through that guide, but I didn't like the power consumption and heat output so I opted for FSB overclock through that guide as well. It's a trickier way of overclocking because so many other variables are affecting stability so I didn't get as much gain but I do like the power savings.

1 Like