Help: create a wireless hotspot using [any Linux wireless tool that can accomplish this task]

Hello,

I have a realtek 8811cu usb nic, and downloaded the following drivers from github (maybe there is an issue?):

Edit: something I just picked up, in the “Band” setting, I have 5GHz “A” (not AC, so I’m thinking it’s trying to use the literal 1999 Wireless A mode here?) and 2.4 GHz, on Wireless B / G. No wireless N as an option, is this just the way it’s written, or might it indicate something important?

I am currently using Debian 11 (and WOW is it fast) as the base for a Pi-Hole (wish I started using it so many years ago, I’m mentally kicking myself!!) in a VirtualBox under Windows. Ultimately, when I get all these issues worked out, I’ll move this to a linux base.

So I’m learning slowly how to use nmcli. So I’ve figured out to just use the menu to select the network, let it keep its name of the connection, modify it (manual IP and DNS) and use nmcli to

nmcli connection up [NetworkConnectionName]

Connection successfully activated (D-Bus active path: /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/2

Edit 2: I’m sure you’re needing to know the output of trying to turn on my custom “hotspot” network:

nmcli connection up Hotspot 
Error: Connection activation failed: IP configuration could not be reserved (no available address, timeout, etc.)
Hint: use 'journalctl -xe NM_CONNECTION=5af04db3-0a0a-4100-8df3-5b7e04be1743 + NM_DEVICE=wlxa0d76830615b' to get more details.

Basically, it’s just not configured correctly, so I have no idea what to do to enable it correctly. Still trying settings.

So, what I’m wanting to do is use the hotspot or hotspotd feature in networkmanager. I just don’t have any experience with it–windows makes it almost easy, for a while, and then I had to modify the registry because it hates custom DNS ip addresses randomly. Which is why all of this is now being done in a VM. Almost got it going, just can’t share my “pi-hole” network with my devices.

Side note: I’ve looked into it quite a bit, Roku devices (at least the one’s I have access to) add over TEN programs in “sleep mode” or some time, and I delete them, and then several months later, they come back, different ones and it’s just rude of roku to do this. I understand it has something to do with the screensaver, so I set it to “Low Power” which some programs (Hulu) have zero respect for, and just shows it’s green logo, wasting energy.

Anyway, Linux is the future, and I’d love to use it to it’s fullest networking potential. Thank you all, sometime I’ll have to catch up on my Firefox post, with over 200 replies, I thought it was closed or had little activity. Good to know there’s interest in it still.

Can show your config? nmcli connection show [NetworkConnectionName]. Also could you show the errors that were generated? journalctl -xe NM_CONNECTION=5af04db3-0a0a-4100-8df3-5b7e04be1743 + NM_DEVICE=wlxa0d76830615b

Also you might want to look at nm-applet (or the gnome config for NetworkManager). The GUI makes features like this much more discoverable.

nm-aplet or the gui for networkmanager just needs to be discontinued–it’s been terrible since it’s inception, and still today it’s a pile of garbage. How difficult is it to interface with a text file? I’m hoping Yast Network is better than this garbage because it’s incredibly embarassing to see such awful wireless configuration on currently what is the world’s best networking operating system to date.

Output of the first thing you asked me

username@net-username:~$ nmcli connection show Wifi
connection.id:                          Wifi
connection.uuid:                        [uuid]
connection.stable-id:                   --
connection.type:                        802-11-wireless
connection.interface-name:              [wlxa0]
connection.autoconnect:                 yes
connection.autoconnect-priority:        0
connection.autoconnect-retries:         -1 (default)
connection.multi-connect:               0 (default)
connection.auth-retries:                -1
connection.timestamp:                   0000000000
connection.read-only:                   no
connection.permissions:                 user:username
connection.zone:                        --
connection.master:                      --
connection.slave-type:                  --
connection.autoconnect-slaves:          -1 (default)
connection.secondaries:                 --
connection.gateway-ping-timeout:        0
connection.metered:                     unknown
connection.lldp:                        default
connection.mdns:                        -1 (default)
connection.llmnr:                       -1 (default)
connection.wait-device-timeout:         -1
802-11-wireless.ssid:                   Wifi
802-11-wireless.mode:                   infrastructure
802-11-wireless.band:                   a
802-11-wireless.channel:                0
802-11-wireless.bssid:                  --
802-11-wireless.rate:                   0
802-11-wireless.tx-power:               0
802-11-wireless.mac-address:            [mac]
802-11-wireless.cloned-mac-address:     --
802-11-wireless.generate-mac-address-mask:--
802-11-wireless.mac-address-blacklist:  --
802-11-wireless.mac-address-randomization:default
802-11-wireless.mtu:                    auto
802-11-wireless.seen-bssids:            [BSSIDs of wireless router]
802-11-wireless.hidden:                 no
802-11-wireless.powersave:              0 (default)
802-11-wireless.wake-on-wlan:           0x1 (default)
802-11-wireless.ap-isolation:           -1 (default)
802-11-wireless-security.key-mgmt:      wpa-psk
802-11-wireless-security.wep-tx-keyidx: 0
802-11-wireless-security.auth-alg:      --
802-11-wireless-security.proto:         --
802-11-wireless-security.pairwise:      --
802-11-wireless-security.group:         --
802-11-wireless-security.pmf:           0 (default)
802-11-wireless-security.leap-username: --
802-11-wireless-security.wep-key0:      <hidden>
802-11-wireless-security.wep-key1:      <hidden>
802-11-wireless-security.wep-key2:      <hidden>
802-11-wireless-security.wep-key3:      <hidden>
802-11-wireless-security.wep-key-flags: 0 (none)
802-11-wireless-security.wep-key-type:  unknown
802-11-wireless-security.psk:           <hidden>
802-11-wireless-security.psk-flags:     0 (none)
802-11-wireless-security.leap-password: <hidden>
802-11-wireless-security.leap-password-flags:0 (none)
802-11-wireless-security.wps-method:    0x0 (default)
802-11-wireless-security.fils:          0 (default)
ipv4.method:                            manual
ipv4.dns:                               192.168.1.20
ipv4.dns-search:                        --
ipv4.dns-options:                       --
ipv4.dns-priority:                      0
ipv4.addresses:                         192.168.1.20/24
ipv4.gateway:                           192.168.1.1
ipv4.routes:                            --
ipv4.route-metric:                      -1
ipv4.route-table:                       0 (unspec)
ipv4.routing-rules:                     --
ipv4.ignore-auto-routes:                no
ipv4.ignore-auto-dns:                   no
ipv4.dhcp-client-id:                    --
ipv4.dhcp-iaid:                         --
ipv4.dhcp-timeout:                      0 (default)
ipv4.dhcp-send-hostname:                yes
ipv4.dhcp-hostname:                     --
ipv4.dhcp-fqdn:                         --
ipv4.dhcp-hostname-flags:               0x0 (none)
ipv4.never-default:                     no
ipv4.may-fail:                          yes
ipv4.dad-timeout:                       -1 (default)
ipv4.dhcp-vendor-class-identifier:      --
ipv4.dhcp-reject-servers:               --
ipv6.method:                            disabled
ipv6.dns:                               --
ipv6.dns-search:                        --
ipv6.dns-options:                       --
ipv6.dns-priority:                      0
ipv6.addresses:                         --
ipv6.gateway:                           --
ipv6.routes:                            --
ipv6.route-metric:                      -1
ipv6.route-table:                       0 (unspec)
ipv6.routing-rules:                     --
ipv6.ignore-auto-routes:                no
ipv6.ignore-auto-dns:                   no
ipv6.never-default:                     no
ipv6.may-fail:                          yes
ipv6.ip6-privacy:                       -1 (unknown)
ipv6.addr-gen-mode:                     stable-privacy
ipv6.ra-timeout:                        0 (default)
ipv6.dhcp-duid:                         --
ipv6.dhcp-iaid:                         --
ipv6.dhcp-timeout:                      0 (default)
ipv6.dhcp-send-hostname:                yes
ipv6.dhcp-hostname:                     --
ipv6.dhcp-hostname-flags:               0x0 (none)
ipv6.token:                             --
proxy.method:                           none
proxy.browser-only:                     no
proxy.pac-url:                          --
proxy.pac-script:                       --
GENERAL.NAME:                           Wifi
GENERAL.UUID:                           [Gen UUID]
GENERAL.DEVICES:                        wlxa0
GENERAL.IP-IFACE:                       wlxa0
GENERAL.STATE:                          activated
GENERAL.DEFAULT:                        yes
GENERAL.DEFAULT6:                       no
GENERAL.SPEC-OBJECT:                    /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Acces>
GENERAL.VPN:                            no
GENERAL.DBUS-PATH:                      /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Activ>
GENERAL.CON-PATH:                       /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Setti>
GENERAL.ZONE:                           --
GENERAL.MASTER-PATH:                    --
IP4.ADDRESS[1]:                         192.168.1.20/24
IP4.GATEWAY:                            192.168.1.1
IP4.ROUTE[1]:                           dst = 192.168.1.0/24, nh = 0.0.0.0, m>
IP4.ROUTE[2]:                           dst = 0.0.0.0/0, nh = 192.168.1.1, mt>
IP4.DNS[1]:                             192.168.1.20

I blocked out macs, and uuids and bssids. I verified the information on that side of things, this connection works. I just can’t create a hotspot with it because the GUI is not a user’s friend, it’s almost like the developers don’t want people to use it, because if they did, it would work, and they would know it works, because they would test it. I just don’t get the feeling that these features have been tested because it’s ludicrously difficult to work with this software. (NetworkManager).

As for my “Hotspot” network–here’s the file for it.

[connection]
id=testing
uuid=[]
type=wifi
interface-name=wlxa2 Note: the 2 in this indicates it’s the second … connection inside this single usb wireless device.  I have concurrent mode enabled.  Figured that would help enable this functionality
permissions=user:username:;

[wifi]
mac-address=[wifi-mac]
mac-address-blacklist=
mode=ap
seen-bssids=[copy / paste of the BSSIDs from the original connection that works];
ssid=testing

[wifi-security]
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=[network1]

[ipv4]
dns-search=
method=shared

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
dns-search=
method=disabled

[proxy]

So I have zero idea what’s the issue with that setup file, maybe nothing?

Here’s Journalctl of a working connection

: Activation: (wifi) connection 'NetworkName' has security, and secrets exist.  No new sec>
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa0): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> inactive
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa0): supplicant interface state: inactive -> scanning
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> associating
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa0): supplicant interface state: associating -> disconnected
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa0): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> scanning
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> associating
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa0): supplicant interface state: associating -> associated
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa0): supplicant interface state: associated -> 4way_handshake
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa0): supplicant interface state: 4way_handshake -> completed
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa0): Activation: (wifi) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) successful. Connected to wireless network >
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa0): state change: config -> ip-config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa0): state change: ip-config -> ip-check (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa0): state change: ip-check -> secondaries (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa0): state change: secondaries -> activated (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa0): Activation: successful, device activated.

Here’s the journalctl of the section of the wifi card that I’m trying to make a network hotspot with:

set-hw-addr: set MAC address to EA:87:5F:C6:A1:67 (scanning)
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): supplicant interface state: completed -> disconnected
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): Activation: starting connection 'Hotspot' (d4c296d5-ecbc-4638-903b-1bc300497db8)
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): state change: disconnected -> prepare (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): set-hw-addr: reset MAC address to A2:D7:68:30:61:5B (preserve)
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): state change: prepare -> config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): Activation: (wifi) access point 'Hotspot' has security, but secrets are required.
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): state change: config -> need-auth (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): state change: need-auth -> prepare (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): state change: prepare -> config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): Activation: (wifi) connection 'Hotspot' has security, and secrets exist.  No new secrets needed.
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> completed
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): Activation: (wifi) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) successful. Started Wi-Fi Hotspot "testing"
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): state change: config -> ip-config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): state change: ip-config -> ip-check (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): state change: ip-check -> failed (reason 'ip-config-unavailable', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <warn>   device (wlxa2): Activation: failed for connection 'Hotspot'
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): state change: failed -> disconnected (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): set-hw-addr: set MAC address to BE:B6:A8:7F:69:7A (scanning)
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): supplicant interface state: completed -> disconnected
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): set-hw-addr: set MAC address to C2:E3:32:E2:B3:50 (scanning)
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): set-hw-addr: set MAC address to 2E:30:EA:BD:E4:1C (scanning)
 net-username NetworkManager[387]: <info>   device (wlxa2): set-hw-addr: set MAC address to EA:54:05:02:0C:4B (scanning)
here

I have read that the mac address changing can raelly cause issues, althought it may increase privacy, so that’s the only information I did not edit. I have it set to “Preserve” so maybe that’s something.

I’m going to try another system in the meantime to see if I can get it going.

Update: OpenSUSE’s wicked is not so wicked after all. I can’t even choose the frequency band. I only realize I’m stuck with 2.4GHz when I see the channel list. I thought I’d have better luck because it automatically sets up a cool bonded mode when I had it hooked up to a wireless router / repeater. That device no longer functions because the firmware has been changed.

So I have even less options I can change, and I have no earthly idea how to use wicked to setup a hotspot.

Every second time I run Yast Network, I’ll no longer have a wireless connection until I run it again and hope it is set correctly. I’m just surprised that such a network-forward operating system has this much difficulty with setting up a wireless repeater / hotspot.

Oh and I also don’t know how to check if I have correctly enabled both wireless interfaces, or if I just have one. I see wlan0 and there is a wlan1 option in the “devices” section in the network tool but I don’t know how to properly configure it.

Before this I tried using iwctl on debian, but it’s involved as well and I didn’t feel like studying all the commands and double tapping tab after every space.

I figured iwctl (developed by Intel) would actually give me a chance–maybe if there is a GUI for it I’ll try.

So this is an non existent interface ?

interface-name:=IFNAME

Case sensitive match of interface name of the device. Globbing is disabled and IFNAME is taken literally.

as seen in NetworkManager.conf: NetworkManager Reference Manual

Can you make sure dnsmasq is installed?

I don’t see any informative errors from the logs. However I’d recommend disabling this “concurrent” mode, and trying to setup hotspot mode just by itself. Most wifi adapters can’t do cleint and hotspot at the same time, but can do multiple clients and/or hotspots.

This is REALLY annoying. On Windows, I just turn on hotspot mode. DONE! Nothing else to do for basic connectivity.

This is 2022, and Linux still relies on the command line to do basic functionality, like this is some fringe issue that nobody uses is just a joke.

So I have two wireless interfaces, wx whatever 0 and wx whatever 2. Here is the readme on “concurrent” mode, and why I believe it needs to be enabled:

2021-12-03

What is Concurrent Mode?

Concurrent Mode creates 2 wireless network interfaces (wlan0, wlan1) and those
two interfaces share the same WiFi adapter.

This feature allows performing 2 separate wireless tasks at the same time with a
single WiFi adapter.

For example:

Use station mode (called managed or client mode also) to connect with an
AP to access the internet at the same time as it also performs as an AP
to allow other devices to connect to the second interface.

Note: Only supports 3 combinations

1. Station mode + Station mode
  2. Station mode + AP mode
  3. Station mode + P2P mode

How do I Enable Concurrent Mode?

Run the following as instructed during the installation process:

./cmode-on.sh

Once the driver is fully installed and you have rebooted the system, you
can verify that this works by typing the “iw dev” command, You should
see two wireless interfaces, and the MAC address of secondary interface
is nearly the same as the first except for one digit.

FAQ:

Q: Which wireless interface can run in station mode? Which
wireless interface can run in AP mode?

A: It is recommended to run station mode in wlan0 and AP or P2P mode in
wlan1.

Q: How is the throughput with 2 wireless interfaces in concurrent mode?

A: Because there is only one physical hardware device, the two wireless
interfaces (wlan0, wlan1) will share the transmit bandwidth.

For example:

Assume the throughput limitation of current environment is 85Mb/s,
then the throughput of wlan0 + the throughput of wlan1 is basically
equal or smaller than 85Mb/s.

Q: Everything is fine when I only start hostapd, but when I start running
station mode in the other interface at the same time, hostapd will disconnect
for a moment then will reconnect again, however ,the channel is differ from
before. Is something wrong?

A: Don’t worry, it is fine! As mentioned before, those two wireless interfaces
share the same physical hardware device. That means those 2 wireless interfaces
must use the same channel. The AP/P2P interface should use the same channel as
the station interface. If both interfaces are running in station mode, the
connected APs MUST be on same channel.

So, when I do the following command, it just disconnects my entire wireless connection, and fails to start the hotspot, so I get absolutely nowhere–and according to multiple articles, the “hotspot” is in the access point mode, which seems to be what is needed. But not a single article that I’ve read to get me a successful connection yet, and I just don’t understand why!

Blockquotesudo nmcli connection up spot
Connection successfully activated (D-Bus active path: /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/56)

This is a JOKE and means absolutely nothing to me, because as I said, all the wireless just disconnects, and it’s definitely not broadcasting the SSID of the hotspot. I’m not sure if this is a bug, or if it’s “concurrent” mode. I’ll rebuild the drivers without concurrent mode, and report back.

If anyone has lots of experience with this, it needs documentation sorely. This is a massive massive oversight in the network manager GUI and documentation–if it were not, I wouldn’t have any issues. I’ve read Fedora Magazine, and other articles and STILL can’t get it to work, and as you may be able to understand, it’s really really aggravating at this point.

Windows 10 is HORRIBLE at allowing me to connect through wireless using a custom DNS–constant issues, even with the registry change, which now doesn’t help. I must disconnect, change my DNS to 9.9.9.9 or similar (so much better than using Google’s 8.8.8.8, I just really want to highlight that), and connect. Works fine. Then I disconnect, change the DNS to my machine, reconnect and it works. For maybe a few minute, then it stops. So screw Windows, I’m done with it. If I can’t use my machine the way I want to, then it’s not MY machine, it belongs to Microsoft. So much for the personal computer.

If you want to keep using networkmanager, have you looked into nmtui app for an ncurses menu system? A little easier to navigate than the CLI app, IMHO.

Can I ask your goal? You have a USB WiFi dongle, and want it to be a hotspot. Would this be the same as an access point, just a different name?

[edit]
If so, does something like

$ nmcli d wifi hotspot ifname <wifi_iface> ssid <ssid> password <password>

Work?

That is to set the dongles interface as a access point.
Once that is done, would need something to direct traffic, like ip masquerading/filtering, and maybe something like dhcp to assign an ip to the connected client, as well as DNS

So network manager is TERRIBLE, I mean it’s ABSURD that I can reboot, and it auto connects well, using my settings. But when I disconnect (when trying to start my hotspot, which is still disconnecting all connections) and trying to bring up that connection, it tells me the SSID cannot be found. Aburdity, because I can reboot and connect with no issue, but as soon as I try to bring it up with

Blockquote nmcli connection up net

It can’t find the SSID that is JUST FOUND a few seconds or less than one minute ago. This software is TERRIBLE and has way too many bugs. I need a tutorial on how to use Intel’s iwctl software because I’m at my wits end with piece of garbage network manager. I can’t take these bugs anymore, wasting both my time, and your time trying to read all of this and offer solutions, it’s just not worth anyone’s time.

I can see my hotspot network, but it shows the signal strength as 0% and it doesn’t work–it disconnects the other network connection.

Here’s the journal for shits and rage fits (because this is not funny, it’s just infuriating):

supplicant interface state: internal-starting -> disconnected
Jul 02 18:35:58 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801358.0529] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: unavailable -> disconnected (reason 'supplicant-available', sys-iface-state: 'man>
Jul 02 18:35:58 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <warn>  [1656801358.0607] sup-iface[274e2f5f96fe21f4,0,wlxa0d76830615b]: call-p2p-cancel: failed with P2P cancel failed
Jul 02 18:36:06 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801366.9604] device (wlxa0d76830615b): Activation: starting connection 'net' (bbf744f9-5fd9-42b3-9f90-9f73b8582eb2)
Jul 02 18:36:06 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801366.9607] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: disconnected -> prepare (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:36:07 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801367.7572] device (wlxa0d76830615b): set-hw-addr: reset MAC address to A0:D7:68:30:61:5B (preserve)
Jul 02 18:36:07 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801367.7583] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: prepare -> config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:36:07 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801367.7597] device (wlxa0d76830615b): Activation: (wifi) access point 'net' has security, but secrets are required.
Jul 02 18:36:07 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801367.7597] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: config -> need-auth (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:36:07 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801367.7786] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: need-auth -> prepare (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:36:07 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801367.7825] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: prepare -> config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:36:07 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801367.7831] device (wlxa0d76830615b): Activation: (wifi) connection 'net' has security, and secrets exist.  No new secrets needed.
Jul 02 18:36:07 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801367.8298] device (wlxa0d76830615b): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> inactive
Jul 02 18:36:09 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801369.5061] device (wlxa0d76830615b): supplicant interface state: inactive -> scanning
Jul 02 18:36:15 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801375.9060] device (wlxa0d76830615b): supplicant interface state: scanning -> associating
Jul 02 18:36:16 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801376.0267] device (wlxa0d76830615b): supplicant interface state: associating -> 4way_handshake
Jul 02 18:36:16 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801376.0508] device (wlxa0d76830615b): supplicant interface state: 4way_handshake -> completed
Jul 02 18:36:16 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801376.0510] device (wlxa0d76830615b): Activation: (wifi) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) successful. Connected to wireless network "S>
Jul 02 18:36:16 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801376.0532] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: config -> ip-config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:36:16 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801376.0684] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: ip-config -> ip-check (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:36:16 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801376.1382] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: ip-check -> secondaries (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:36:16 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801376.1388] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: secondaries -> activated (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:36:16 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801376.1532] device (wlxa0d76830615b): Activation: successful, device activated.
lines 983-1005/1005 (END)
Jul 02 18:35:58 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801358.0488] device (wlxa0d76830615b): supplicant interface state: internal-starting -> disconnected
Jul 02 18:35:58 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801358.0529] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: unavailable -> disconnected (reason 'supplicant-available', sys-iface-state: 'manag>
Jul 02 18:35:58 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <warn>  [1656801358.0607] sup-iface[274e2f5f96fe21f4,0,wlxa0d76830615b]: call-p2p-cancel: failed with P2P cancel failed
Jul 02 18:36:06 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801366.9604] device (wlxa0d76830615b): Activation: starting connection 'net' (bbf744f9-5fd9-42b3-9f90-9f73b8582eb2)
Jul 02 18:36:06 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801366.9607] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: disconnected -> prepare (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:36:07 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801367.7572] device (wlxa0d76830615b): set-hw-addr: reset MAC address to A0:D7:68:30:61:5B (preserve)
Jul 02 18:36:07 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801367.7583] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: prepare -> config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:36:07 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801367.7597] device (wlxa0d76830615b): Activation: (wifi) access point 'net' has security, but secrets are required.
Jul 02 18:36:07 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801367.7597] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: config -> need-auth (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:36:07 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801367.7786] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: need-auth -> prepare (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:36:07 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801367.7825] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: prepare -> config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:36:07 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801367.7831] device (wlxa0d76830615b): Activation: (wifi) connection 'net' has security, and secrets exist.  No new secrets needed.
Jul 02 18:36:07 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801367.8298] device (wlxa0d76830615b): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> inactive
Jul 02 18:36:09 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801369.5061] device (wlxa0d76830615b): supplicant interface state: inactive -> scanning
Jul 02 18:36:15 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801375.9060] device (wlxa0d76830615b): supplicant interface state: scanning -> associating
Jul 02 18:36:16 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801376.0267] device (wlxa0d76830615b): supplicant interface state: associating -> 4way_handshake
Jul 02 18:36:16 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801376.0508] device (wlxa0d76830615b): supplicant interface state: 4way_handshake -> completed
Jul 02 18:36:16 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801376.0510] device (wlxa0d76830615b): Activation: (wifi) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) successful. Connected to wireless network "Spe>
Jul 02 18:36:16 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801376.0532] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: config -> ip-config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:36:16 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801376.0684] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: ip-config -> ip-check (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:36:16 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801376.1382] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: ip-check -> secondaries (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:36:16 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801376.1388] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: secondaries -> activated (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:36:16 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801376.1532] device (wlxa0d76830615b): Activation: successful, device activated.
lines 983-1005/1005 (END)
Jul 02 18:35:58 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801358.0488] device (wlxa0d76830615b): supplicant interface state: internal-starting -> disconnected
Jul 02 18:35:58 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <info>  [1656801358.0529] device (wlxa0d76830615b): state change: unavailable -> disconnected (reason 'supplicant-available', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Jul 02 18:35:58 net-blackhole NetworkManager[333]: <warn>  [1656801358.0607] sup-iface[274e2f5f96fe21f4,0,wlxa0d76830615b]: call-p2p-cancel: failed with P2P cancel faile

NetworkManager is useless to me, I’m terrible surprised it’s this bad, all these years later. It can only handle Ethernet sharing over wi-fi, or a single wi-fi connection, and it BARELY manages to handle that.

I do like the interface more, but it doesn’t do anything different for me. With the now non-concurrent interface (just one wifi interface of wlx0, I just get disconnected when trying to “up” the hotspot connection. This is just insane that this software is this bad. The developers either need money, time, or passion, and I don’t think they have any of them at this point. Also, there is a horrendous lack of documentation as well.

So I’ve literally tried all three network tools that I’m aware of on Linux and every single one of them is a complete pile of garbage. NetworkManager is only able to get the connection to work on a reboot, if I try to connect with the connection name, it will NEVER find the network, how is this humanly POSSIBLE to make a program fail at something is just did? I mean what horrible bit of programming prevents a program from working a second time, consistently, when it worked great on the first start–seriously, can the programmer of the network manager please explain this to me, because I’d love a good laugh.

Yast’s wicked is a complete pile of crap–not even able to let me use 5 Ghz via the GUI, not even giving the option to select the frequency,

IWD / iwctl has ZERO output on the command line when I ask it to connect, it’s just blank on the next line waiting for another command and never seems to connect–seriously? All the work that Intel does for graphics drivers, and even going as far to create their own distribution, I surely thought higher of this software. Very annoyed in the lack of output to explain what is working and what is not.

I was only able to get a stable access point on a single 2.5G frequency with my usb dongle.
But I used eps_supplicant to run it, not networkmanager

I’ll chalk itvup to a simpe type, I have heardvit before: wpa_supplicant. So there is a forth software! I surevwould enjoy seeing the day when all four separate developers get together (I just can’t believe groups of people are actively maintaining any of these projects) and unify their efforts to create both a successful command tool, and an easy and functional GUI to allow users to utilize the large effort I’m certain, goes into all of these projects.

As it is now, I strongly believe these developers have literally wasted their time in creating a tool that could be good–but it uterly unusable because the command line is not allowing enough information and easy configuration. As stated, because of this, all that hard work goes straight into the shitter, because no new user is able to use it.

So now I must go down the rabbit-hole once more, trying yet again to both learn and then try creating a hotspot with YaNM or Yet another network manager. I wish I had the passion or will to learn the computer languages these programs use–I don’t believe I would stop until a totally inexperienced user could consistently get it to work without needing documentation–I just don’t have the passion, I wouldn’t enjoy it. We need more consolidation of effort. It all goes back to RPM. instead of Ian segregating our Linux spftware compatibility all the way back in 1992 (he could not have known–but it doesn’t matter) and instead, chose to communicate with the Red Hat team to improve RPM, we’d only have one main package format.

Instead I believe human ego got in the way anf also I personally believe he wamted to impress his girlfriend at the time (hence the na!e Debian) and created a COMPLETELY INCOMPATIBLE system for only the sole reason of: Hey I can do that better, instead of working with a team using existing tools.

This is a duplication of effort that getsvus nowhwre, and every developer in exiatence would benefit from working with others instead of individually or in separate groups. Why is there four different networking tools, and none of them work with each other or use similar commands or tools etc? I see zero benefit from this choice and I wish linux developers would think similarly as it seems everyone would benefit.

Instead of four networking tools that may or may not work or one or two may be no longer in active development, theoretically, we could have the opportunity to have a singular exceptional solution that can be picked up by any developer who has interest. Now, with four of them, which one should a developer choose to work on. which one is the most usable and reliable–and so what hapoens to the other three tools?

wpa_supplicamt doesn’t look like a fun time.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Wpa_supplicant#Overview

It’s like the devs go out of their way to make this a horrendously complex and aggravating as humanly possible, and make sure to accomplish that task like they are being paid to do so, even though we all know they haven’t gotten a penny for their efforts–I damn sure wouldn’t pay for something this confusing, I wouldn’t be able to make my purchase worthwhile because I don’t understand how to use the program. To do so I have to study it for at least four or five hours, or maybe even days, and that’s how someone thinks that I want my money spent? On something that makes my ability to accomplish a task this involved? I guess the thought never has occured because it’s an obvious answer.

I’m not going to donate to a project that I cannot easily understand and use, a project that I have to spend my time learning commands, configuration files and multiple ways to enter a network passphrasw, hoping I’m not comprimising my network security by putting it in plain text, spending more time just to figure out the best way to do just that one specific part, then having to figure out how to create a hotspot with it–which I didn’t see mentioned in the Arch Wiki.

This is just lunacy. When a human being gets the appetite to create something, am I wrong in believing that they want to make it as easy as possible, so that the effort put in can be utilized quickly and with the absolute minimal effort, by as many other human beings as possible or am I just a moron? I don’t get it.