Help Choosing Motherboard for Ryzen 3400G Linux Build

After reading your suggestions I’m thinking about three boards

1. Asua Prime B450 Plus ( Which is in my budget )
  2. MSI B450 Mortar Max ( Which has some bad reviews about vcore voltage on pcpartpicker)
  3. MSI B450 Tomahawk. ( Which is little 2500INR more than my budget )
    Really confused :fearful:

Your limit is really how high you want to eventually go. Almost any board (even the A320 ones) will be fine for an APU, only need for a nicer board is if you wanna hop to a Zen 2 6 or 8 core in the future.

What are the bad reviews for vcore on the mortar max? Pulling high vcore on auto? That’s Ryzen, the chips with PBO do that themselves. If it’s doing wack voltages when set manually, then it can be an issue (IIRC some of the X99 Rampage boards had an issue with this, early units cooked some CPUs by feeding them horrifyingly out of spec voltages).

Here are some reviews about Mortar Max

from completed build ProduGaming (1440p144Hz)

My only gripe with it so far is the voltages… They’re too high. Even when updated to the latest BIOS (AGESA 1.0.0.3), voltages nearly reach 1.5V. Setting a -0.1V offset limits the CPU’s capability, sadly. For now I’d rather keep it as is, and if the high voltage kills it, it’s either MSI’s or AMD’s problem to fix.

from completed build Breaky Boi

I heard everyone praising MSI’s B450 boards, this one was among the best rated, solit VRMs, as far as I know. I was thinking about the mini ITX format (better fit on my table), but I changed my mind last minute. Only thing I’m concerned about is the fact that in bios it says that the Vcore is at 1.465 Volts. That seems crazy high, but in windows it goes down by a looot. while idling it’s at like 1.20. I updated the BIOS to the latest one (09.20.2019).

I’m really worried about these thing

1 Like

Oh that’s no worry (for the mobo) at all. Pulling up to 1.5v or above is an issue with Zen 2 and some Zen+ chips with PBO. You can manually set an offset so it won’t pull that much voltage, I think it’s gotten better but AMD is still working on AGESA updates to fix it. My 2700X with PBO/XFR boost would pull up to 1.5v sometimes, I manually set it lower since you really don’t want Zen+ chips going that high. The 3400G you’re planning to use doesn’t have an overly aggressive boost like that so you’ll be fine.

TL;DR: That’s a known issue with Zen 2 CPUs, not the motherboard.

Thanks Man. I really appreciate you.
Can you help me to choose parts. Your knowledge superb. Your suggestion can really help me alot. My processor choice is Ryzen 5 3400G only. Because of graphics price are really high ( Decent graphics card. Because I’m going to use Linux so I have only AMD graphics card options. Since NVIDIA proprietary drivers are still not good for Linux) . My budget is 40k-45K

1 Like

The Msi B450 Tomawak won´t even handle a 3900X properly at stock.
The 3900X cpu has been tested on the Msi X570 Gaming Edge board,
and that particular board was already hitting 115°C on the mosfets.
And that is definitelly not a temperature where you want a discrete mosfet setup to be.

Now giving the fact that the X570 Gaming Edge is using the same Onsemi mosfets as the B450 Tomahawk.
But the X570 Gaming Edge actually having twice as much phases on the Vcore rail. (which also means twice as much mosfets)
Then i can say for sure that the B450 Tomahawk won´t handle a 3900X very well.

There are even X570 boards that won´t handle a 3900X / 3950X very well.
So yeah for those who even consider upgrading to a 3900X / 3950X in the future,
and wanne buy an X570 board,
should definitelly stay away from this list of board below.

• Msi MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi.
  • Msi MPG X570 Gaming Plus.
  • Msi X570-A pro.
  • Asrock X570 Pro 4.
  • Asrock X570-M pro 4.
  • Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4.
  • Gigabyte Aorus Gaming X.
  • Gigabyte X570 UD.

All these X570 boards have a pretty poor vrm implementation.
And i personally won´t recommend any of them for a 3900X / 3950X.

2 Likes

Thank you for your information. This will help in my next build. Right now for an APU build B450 is a really good budget option I have.

1 Like

I’m shopping for an x570 board for next month’s purchase, it would be running an r5 3600, but I’m investing in x570 for future gen ryzen support. What x570 boards can you recommend, as I see the asrock phantom gaming 4 recommended by Logical Increments is also on your list.

Well it kinda depends on your future upgrade planes and budget.
The Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming4 will not be a bad board,
for a Ryzen 5 cpu or even a 3700X.
However the board is not good enough for the Ryzen 9 cpu’s like 3900X / 3950X.
The vrm is just not good enough.

But it´s better to make a new topic yourself about,
this particular question.
Then i will try to answer all your questions :slight_smile: