Help Choosing Manjaro Edition

Hi,

so I’ve just bought my old company notebook (Lenovo P51) which I intend to be using for some personal stuff and also light gaming.

I will install Manjaro since it turned out to be the distro I am enjoying the most. Also, I would like to have a tiling window manager so I have to decide between i3 and sway.

Currently, I would tend to use sway because it’s newer (yeah, nice and shiny^^), but there apparently are some compatibility issues which makes me wonder if i3 wouldn’t be the better option. (Sway depends on Wayland and i3 depends on X11.) Especially since I want to do light gaming as well, I’m wondering if i3 wouldn’t be the better choice then…

Any input from your side?

You can always try all of the Manjaro flavors. What video card does the laptop have? If its Intel/AMD, you should be fine with Sway. If its Nvidia, just go with i3.

Some breakages are expected with Sway. The new and shiny part implies that you should be ready to do quality bug reports and contribute. Its potentially a challenge. But if you accept it, you can help improve linux for everyone in the future. Sway devs dont see all of the edge cases. If the laptop has quirks, they might find new insights with your help.

2 Likes

Yeah, I sort of epected that and I also wouldn’t mind if it doesn’t get too annoying xD

It’s an Nvidia card… So I think this solves this question

3 Likes