Help a FNG to Linux

Have you tried in the last week or two? The deploys are all failing because of the expired gpg key as mentioned on discord. No easy way to fix that for an installer.

1 Like

I tried an archboot that Kaylee made in setting up the current iteration iteration of my system. Ended up doing it the old way.

I think it was made before this whole thing happened, but I could be wrong.

1 Like

Aug 2?

2 Likes

This is sunk cost fallacy.

The whole paradigm is different. The sooner you accept this, the sooner you can move on. Think of the /, the root folder as seeing even underneath C:\ where the registry files and C:\Windows and C:\Windows\System32 are separate and scattered everywhere. There are youtube videos out there explaining this.

The “Application Data” is hidden as .folders in your /home directory it could specifically be in the ~/.config folder or ~/.local folder on one of the other ~./folders. The “~” btw is the shorthand for your /home/Username in the command line.

Funny enough, Manjaro had a “hardmode” install if you want to explore further the nuances of installing linux without actually using Arch unfortunately no one is maintaining it right now. Few years ago, that was the method I used to install my current system.

3 Likes

Well the thing is that a Office suite isn’t for writers only if that makes sense?
It really depends on which components you need to work with on a daily bases.
But that would probably be a discussion for another topic.

LibreOffice is indeed a decent alternative for MS Office.
But MS Office is still wildly used in the industry.

3 Likes

We also still have many uses for lead, and other materials that are sufficiently harmful to warrant replacing; wide use of anything is no argument, it’s just ad populum.

1 Like

Yep

2 Likes

I had successfully set up a PCIe-passthrough solution on my rig (2 GPUs, 2 separate USB controllers, Level1Tech DP1.4 KVM, 2 separate NVMe SSDs). It worked and seemed quite fast even (I used Windows 10, which I installed on bare metal, and Ubuntu 20.04), but the VM overhead did exist and it had problems when booting sometimes, because it’d eventually take the wrong GPU as first (RTX3090 and 1030GT for Linux).

There were a couple more problems like not being able to use the guest GPU under Linux when not in use otherwise (same for RAM (pagination), that I allocated for the VM).

In the end I decided to ditch Linux even though I’d have preferred it for anything else but gaming (I want games to work, not have to find out what the best settings are, that I can get the game to work with). I’ll see how much more of an annoyance Windows will become and perhaps revisit this idea one day.

Linux user’s should understand, that sometimes it’s not one’s own choice whether to use MS Office or not. Same goes for other applications.

I currently have Ubuntu on my server and my laptop and in both cases it works great.

2 Likes

You should try bare metal on Linux and run Windows inside Libvirt. It works amazingly well and with Looking Glass; I have Windows in a window on my desktop. Add Scream and you have full 5.1 surround sound passthrough from Windows to Pulseaudio over the network. It works well, and I am seeing faster than bare metal performance in Windows 10.

Libvirt also allows you to add and remove a USB just by adding it to the VM. So when the VM is off, you still have that USB controller for the host. I have a KVM setup with this as well so I can game without Looking Glass directly on the Windows setup.

Linux is nice in that it allows you to allocate the RAM dynamically, although you will still have the issue of not having access to the guest card as in Linux you specifically unbind the drivers for that.

2 Likes

@ me too

2 Likes

Got my passthrough setup working on Wednesday I think? I’m working on the guide today. Highly doubt it’ll be finished today, but I’m definitely making progress on it.

3 Likes

The Arch wiki can be a great help for everyone, not just Arch users. I haven’t got time for Arch presently, but I’ve saved a lot of time on debian-derived distros, and also centos, by using the Arch wiki.

3 Likes

My experience also. Previously I was dual booting, and the time I’ve saved by being able to do Windows updates while I’m working has easily justified the time spent setting it up.

1 Like

Hello world.

I looked around a little. I’m going to try to run Astral Linux on my laptop and windows on top. If that works out properly, I would do the same on my PC.

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with running a niche distro, but if things break, you get a bit more involved in repairing. Tell us how it goes in the future.

3 Likes

Second to regulareel, niche distros are fun and interesting, but if you do hit any problems, try some more popular distros like Fedora or Ubuntu. They most likely have more documentation available and maybe someone already has some kind of tutorial for what you want to do.

3 Likes

So, after I couldn’t get much done on the “amazing” Astra linux, I switched back to Manjaro(KDE). I tried setting up Manjaro(XFCE) in the past, but wasn’t really able. Before that I used Linux Mint for like 2 years.

I’ve come so far as setting up my Firefox, Discord, Steam, Telegram, TS3 (needs servers) and youtube music.

I’m kinda annoyed that linux still has this title bar shit. I loved it when Firefox went away from it since Windows 10 launch. I still want my - X and window buttons but there is enough room next to the other utilities. also why is every theme curved corners. And also why do I need to restart every time I want to switch theme? It just wont load.

Also was really tedious to install Alacritty, also go ahead if you want to recommend something else.

For information, this is going to be a temporary setup, so I know what to do and how to do, and what to do better when I install Manjaro or other linux properly on my pc next to ReviOS because there are still programs that I need MSWin for. (just deal withit)

How can I have the taskbar on both screens and how can this file explorer stop opening new tabs instead of windows.

Should I use the latest Kernel(5.15) or use the one already installed(5.13)?

Also how do I screenshots? Windows was good with Win Shift S

Also my mouse back n forth buttons don’t work in steam?

Give Cinnamon a shot instead of KDE. You might like it a lot better.

What was tedious about it? Shouldn’t it have just been pacman -S alacritty? But if you want to give something else a shot, I use yakuake. I like the dropdown convenience on a hotkey, personally.

This is going to be different in different DEs, but I’ll warn you it’s not always quick or intuitive. My multi-monitor taskbar setup in Cinnamon took like 15 minutes. But it’s set and forget, or should be, at least.

Update your kernel. I’d recommend switching to Zen, also. Just don’t forget to reboot after.

I use gscreenshot. There are a number of alternatives, however. Global shortcuts are usually set in your DE’s settings app.

Idk, I already like this more than XFCE. Maybe I’ll try it in a vm or something.

Had to google because the github was “diy” build it yourself kinda stuffs. Install alacritty on Manjaro Linux using the Snap Store | Snapcraft

Windows is just a small switch in the settings. aaaaaaaaaahhhhh

Where is this option?

Found spectacle. Doesn’t really allow for a drawing of an area.

Also I don’t know how to install this:

I wanted to install Plex but I guess that is not a thing, so I wanted to make a PWA but I guess Mozilla thought, nah people don’t need that, and removed it like few months ago. Jeez.

I thought that Manjaro uses the same repos and package manager as Arch. I was wrong. See here: Discover Alacritty On Manjaro Linux Manjaro is less of Arch easy-mode than I’ve been led to believe, sorry.

As that page lists, it’s not pacman it’s pamac install alacritty - I would generally recommend defaulting to pamac and not to the Snap Store. When possible.

In your terminal, generally, but in your specific instance look in your settings app. See here: Manjaro Kernels - Manjaro

You can always try searching with pamac. Just remember to enable the AUR if you want full search, there’ll be a lot of software not on the official repos. See here: Repositories and Servers - Manjaro

KDE is a little… Macish for my taste. In functionality as well as form… However, it can take rectangular sections according to it’s page (Spectacle - KDE Applications). I’d start with the drop-down on the right.