Headphone Hoarders

Thanks, @reikoshea. Yes, I've taken a look at the RS175, 185, and 195. If I were to buy at the moment, I would probably go with one of these. The sound is supposed to be decent, and I've had good experiences with Sennheiser, but I don't know, something about the aesthetics of this line rubs me the wrong way.

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail your wired headphone thread. If anything, it's making me think about going back to wired. The quality is just so much better, and you have so many more options. I have a couple of friends who've owned HD 600s for 15+ years and swear by them. I'm all about neutral sound. Haven't had a chance to try the LCD-2s, but they're a bit out of my price range.

1 Like

Wired or not, it all counts. But unfortunately there is not a lot of decent option on the wireless side. I personnaly use the ATH-PHA50BT to make my phones wireless but now with my im02 as they are very picky with the source I have some noise :(

2 Likes

Haha, yeah I got into the headphone hobby and have dumped quite a bit of money into it for a college kid. I even joined the HeadFi community and modded my headphones.

These are the ones I've owned:
Superlux HD 668b, HD 681 EVO
MeElectronics M6, ID america spark, Onkyo IE-FC300, Havi B3 Pro I
Philips citiscape downtown,Sennheiser eH 150, Sony MDR 1R, V-MODA M100
Fiio e6, Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2 DAC

I currently use the 1R and M100 with the Dragonfly USB DAC on my laptop and some cheap <$10 earbuds for the gym.

Whelp, Fostex T50RP MK3's added to the collection now.

HiFiMan HE-350's (massdrop) also incoming soon. Says Aug for ship date.

Thats a nice collection. I just got the HE-400S and I'm loving them so far.

Edit: I also have HD 600 and MDR 7506

Audio-Technica ATH-500X; Sennheiser HD598; HiFiMAN HE-400; MrSpeakersAlpha Prime; ZMF OMNI; Audio-Technica ATH-CKR10; & Dunu DN-2000J.

Audio Technica ATH-A900X, Vmoda Crossfade M100 & Foxtex TH500RP so far. A pair of HiFiMan cans is next, I see a lot of people raving about them.

AKG K545
AKG K702 (gonna sell those soon)
Bang & Olufsen H6
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro limited 300Ω
Fostex T50RP mark III
Philips SHP 9500
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Sennheiser HD650

Uhm, I'm fine, I can stop whenever I want....

1 Like

Just ordering a new set of T40RPs for the office to replace my HDJ-2000s....The pio's pretty banged up after 6 years of hard labor, so I doubt I'll sell them. They also have sentimental value as my first good pair of headphones.

But I did finally sell my 7506s and my M50x's. That's sort of progress....right...? It basically made the T40s cost me nothing. Yeah - that's totally how that works.

Nothing too fancy over here.

• Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
  • Sennheiser HD 380 Pro
  • Sennheiser PC 350 SE
  • Sony MDR-EX71SL
  • Jaybird X2

I had a long paragraph about each, but didn't want to assault the thread with a novel. I will say my favorites are the HD 380 Pro and the Sony MDR-EX71SL's. The two small things I would change about the 280 Pro's were solved by the 380 Pro's. The Sony's are fun to listen to because they have a little more bass without being muddy (imo), and they're small so my motorcycle helmet doesn't rip them out of my ears when I put it on. I was hoping to use the X2's when I ride, but they're too big and the helmet pulls them out of my ears when I put it on. My next headphone purchase (which I'm not even shopping right now), might be the V-Moda M-100's. I want to try something other than Sennheiser in the headphone side of things, and I think the V-Moda's look cool and supposedly sound pretty good. I'm not an audiophile, I just want something that's EQ'd to my liking..which tends to be a little extra bass without being muddy, and not having harsh highs.

The v-moda's are definitely v shaped, but the highs aren't aggressive. The mids are just definitely subdued. I actually listened to a co-worker's M100s yesterday and that's what prompted my purchase of the T40s.

That's not to say the v-moda's are worse, but I prefer a more even sound signature. I'd say the v-moda's are worth the money they're asking.

The fostex punch way above their weight, but when you factor in $50 replacement pads so you can wear them for 10 minutes without hating yourself, and then an amp so they aren't super quiet, the prices match the v-moda's and then it becomes 'what kinda of sound signature do you want'?

I currently own:

Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro
Fostex T50RP Mk3
Kingston Hyper X Cloud
Bose AE2

The Beyerdynamic T90 and Sennheiser HD600 is on my wishlist at the moment, and I can't decide between the two. Also some different pads for the T50RP, my current pads are too deep.

I know they're $50 a pair, but the Shure 1540 pads are awesome. I also have 1840 pads, and they were just fine and $20 cheaper if memory serves.

DT 880
T 50p
K701
K702
SHR 840
HD 600
Amperior

And I use them all for different purposes. You can never have enough headphones. Right now I am eyeballing some mid tier Stax. But I also need a new car. Life seems to be unfair.

LOL, stax will do that to you....maybe you could get a $1000 cheaper car?

Well the Stax I want will cost me around 2300 Euros including the amp to drive it. So probably It wont happen too soon. With Christmas and our anniversary on the horizon...

Well there is always the next year.