HDMI output to Chromecast

Is there any product or combo of products to take an HDMI output, ingest it and offer it as something streamable to Chromecasts?

The task is to take the HDMI output of my Reolink NVR to be chromecastable. So the product would need some kind of app interface too.

I’ve found things like HDMI over ethernet (not over network, but needs to be a strait run ethernet just for the modules), and HDMI over network (much much more expensive).

If this turns into a big project using something like a VM running VLC or antmedia server plus some other ingredients, I’m game, but I’m just curious if there is something more turn key or if anyone else has tackled this has has pointers.

Edit: something like this maybe (I have a Pi 3 available)
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73464

but instead of media found on the Pi I need a way to introduce the HDMI stream into the Pi so that it can then output to chromecasts- something kind of like an HDMI output to chromecast proxy device:

• ingest HDMI live stream, convert, made available to andriod app to then make available to Chromecasts when prompted.

You can cast a webpage, so if you can get the HDMI in on say a capture card and display it as a video stream on a webpage you could cast that, though it needs to be running to do so.

I am not sure if local content is castable but I don’t see why not as it seem to just send a tab.

1 Like

Sounds like an option, will need to get a capture card but I believe those have gone down in price.

Hoping to keep this low power so diving into pi setups.

I wonder if chrome can run on a Pi and have that option, and also run a reliable USB HDMI capture.

2 Likes

What I wouldn’t like with that option is that I would need to go into that Pi everytime to then cast the stream.

This pi article gets it somewhat there:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73464

I’m going to chip away at reading into HDMI USB capture devices that work with the Pi, and someway to take that output into some software that then not only makes it streamable, but works with some type of DNLA app

so from my phone I can choose to stream the NVR output, and to what TV.

1 Like

This is one of those things I don’t really need, but want. And I think this gets me pretty close, need to look at the odds and ends to take it a few steps further to be found by a streaming app to route to a chromecast.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.