HDMI KVMs

Eyy guys,

I’ve read good thing about L1T KVMs, so i went in looking for a 1 monitor - 4 PCs, and i just see the Display Port version now.

Do they have an HDMI version?

The thing is, i need to run a 31feet cable from one of the PCs, and Display Port won’t make it.

If you have any other solution, any input is appreciated.

Thank you very much!

HDMI wont go that distance reliably either. You are better off using Optical Display port cables.

USB also wont go 30ft, so you will probably need USB extenders as well.

1 Like

Thank you infinitevalence.

So, here’s what i need to accomplish (in Spanish, but it’s just a schematic):

It says:

• will the 9.7m (31 feet) HDMI cable cause any trouble?
  • will it be able to output 1440p@120hz to the MONITOR?

Is it doable?

its 100% do able, as I do it now.

I have 3 PC’s running optical display port cables, and 3x CATx USB 2.0 extenders running on CAT 6 from my rack which is 100 cable feet away to my KVM which is at my desk (so my laptop can be plugged in directly).

HDMI is very picky at higher resolutions over longer distances. 10m might work if you buy very high end cables with lots of shielding. Optical HDMI or Displayport cables tend to cost the same or less than high end AV HDMI cables and dont have the same issues. They can go 45m easy, because again, I have 3 doing so right now (at 4k).

Something like that or https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Silkland-32-4Gbps-Compatible-Graphics/dp/B0957CSH2L/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2RNSWCJOX9RHG&keywords=optical%2Bdisplayport%2Bcable&qid=1650993517&sprefix=optical%2Bdisplay%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-8&th=1

For USB your options are cheap converters like this:

or something very expensive if you need 3.0 speeds like this:

Awesome, thank you so much for your time!

So, i’m thinking about buying this one:
1.4 Display Port KVM Switch - Single Monitor - Two Computer

(and just plug in whatever laptop i’m using at the moment)

One last question, my 2 laptops only have HDMI outputs, not display port. I guess i need some kind of adapter?

its generally simpler to go from Display port to HDMI than HDMI to display port but yes you can get an adapter to do that.

Displayport includes HDMI as a specification so you can use a Passive adapter or cable. Going from HDMI to Displayport requires an Active converter, Several are listed in the description for the KVM’s on the site.

Last I checked the HDMI support was optional.

@jaskij would you point me to that option?

@infinitevalence Thank you so much man.

NP, have fun!

Optional in DP specs, not in L1T KVMs

1 Like

We did do a single monitor hdmi 4 port KVM! A while back.

It is okay.

We also have an HDMI repeater for long distances that is… nice… but still in testing.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.