HDMI 2.1b Cables, Legit & Affordable? Yes!

That would be great. Imagine your monitor prompting with a box in the corner “Display Connection may be faulty, check or replace cable”

Yeah just knowing the error rate and what the threshold is would help, if it’s close then minimising interference or cable bends might be enough to get it working, if it’s way off then it’s time for a better cable. I don’t think that devices measure voltage but it’s pretty common for things to have a weak signal that’s at the bottom end of the spec, causing a cable to work in some situations and not work in others.

I’ve heard that there are some recent AVRs which do this but I’ve never come across one.

2 Likes

Hey @Level1_Amber, have you tested FIBBR’s HDMI 2.1 cable? After you and Wendell put me onto FIBBR DP cables, I wanted a cheaper option for HDMI cabling for my home theater and I’ve had really no issues with these. I’m only driving 4K 60Hz HDR with these, but all the bells and whistles; Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, eARC, etc, all seem to work without hiccups.

They are apparently HDMI certified, but I haven’t tried validating the label. I figure your 15K cable tester is probably a better validator than a QR Code on a sticker.

I’m using 1m and 2m versions of this one purchased from Amazon

xD

I haven’t tested these! I’ll lyk if we get some in the future :slight_smile: would be interesting

Thanks for the technical breakdown, which is what this thread is essentially about. Business practice aside, a good product given props will assist people when they enter into the myriad of janky cables available, when all they want is their stuff to work as described.

Great job @Level1_Amber

1 Like

I thought the drama was about one of their brands under their umbrella that promised a fully offline CCTV camera but it actually goes through the clouds and gets processed there.

It was a little more sketchy than that, though. The CCTV product they sold came in two varieties, one that used a Cloud service (for whatever) and one that was labeled as strictly local-only. The local-only product (which cost more) apparently used a Cloud based service, that wasn’t even configured for encryption, nor really password protected, so anyone that knew the right URL could pull down those video files. Employees of the CCTV provider could allegedly even download and watch those videos (as they had better knowledge of the URLs that would be generated). And when pressed about it, the sub-brand double-downed on their “we’re offline only”, with Anker’s backing. Unfortunately, Anker had to eventually acknowledge that the “offline only” product was using an unencrypted, public URL for data processing, and pulled the product.

The reason for LMG’s spat, then, was because Anker didn’t “do the right thing” when initially presented with evidence of sketchiness (everyone makes mistakes, it’s how you handle the mistake that tells you more about the company). Eventually, they were shown that their products aren’t actually local-only, and pulled the product line (which is good), but didn’t do anything for those that had already purchased the “offline only” CCTV system.

Which is a shame, as Anker is all over my house, with USB cables, Display Port cables, HDMI cables, USB hubs, etc.

2 Likes

Totally forgot about the unencryptes stuff. I just hope people dont put it in their bedrooms…