HDMI 2.1 or DisplayPort 2.0 KVMs?

Are you guys planning to release an HDMI 2.1 or DisplayPort 2.0 KVM in the future?

I’m considering upgrading some of my monitors, but if I switch to anything 4K, I’ll have to use HDMI 2.1 which means my DisplayPort KVM isn’t gonna work. Sure, I could get an HDMI switcher, but it won’t look the same nor function the same as Level1Techs KVMs.

Another thought is if there was a DisplayPort 2.0 KVM. While no graphics cards support DP2.0 today, my next card and monitor might. At that point, I wouldn’t need an HDMI 2.1 KVM though.

Partial answer here:

HDMI 2.1 is prohibitively secretive for the FRL link standard vs TMDS. It would be DP 2.0 rather than HDMI 2.1, as small manufacturers just can’t pay the Licensing costs or have enough security to guard the FRL standard from leaking out.

Very likely a USB-C DP Alt mode DP 2.0 KVM would be what arises.

Yeah. That kinda thing would require a GPU upgrade too :/. But I could easily go from DP2.0 to HDMI2.1, I can’t go the other way. My card only supports 4 output devices and has 5 outputs, two of which are HDMI.

Is it possible to go from HDMI to DP?

With an active adapter, yes.

1 Like

Big asterisk, current HDMI 2.0 to DP 1.2 converters have timing issues with Freesync and G-sync Compatible monitors.

2 Likes