HDD not recognized but works fine over USB

I bought a not too expensive 8 TB WD My Book as a temporary solution to my shortage issue until I figure out what to replace my current NAS with.
Since I don’t want an external power brick, I disassembled the closure to extract the disk where I found a labelled “Internal Use” instead of the WD blue which some people have reported. And sadly it did not get recognized when I connected it to a SATA port. I tried replacing one of my existing HDDs with it to make sure it was not the port or the cables causing issues, same result. I don’t even feel it spinning up at all.
But it is not that the drive is proprietary and only works with the enclosure, because I tried it with my SATA/IDE to USB adapter and that works perfectly. (But that also uses a power brick.) So what is going on with my motherboard not recognizing the drive?

Motherboard is a ASUS Prime X370-PRO

They have the updated SATA spec so they will turn off if they receive 3.3v power on the third pin of the power connector. This is how you fix it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W3-uOl4ruc

4 Likes

That very much looks like the issue, but I have been unable to find a molex adaptor in storage so I can’t test it yet.
I would prefer to use the tape method to avoid plugging an extra molex cable into my PSU, but where I can get this kapton tape? I do not get any hits when searching stores in my country at all. Does it go under other names? (I already tried polyimide tape.) Any other kinds of tape which can be used?

Does it even have to be tape?

As long as it doesn;t damage teh goldfingers, or cause an electrical short, could one even use paper?

Or some plastic from a wrapper?

Obviously not metalic, else that will burn down like a [insert thing that should not be burnt down that is not the white house, it was not funny the first time…]

You can use scotch or electrical tape as well.

No, technically not but the adhesive holds it in place. You could even remove the pin if you really wanted to but you would definitely lose the warranty.

1 Like

The scotch tape appears to work, I taped over the two reserved pins as well as suggested in another thread to make it easier to apply it.

I have copied my old 2 TB WD Green drive over to it (before applying the tape), which I will be retiring now. I just want a backup in case the new drive says puff or something, and after 9 years of use (4.5 years of uptime) I must say it did well.

1 Like

OP if you want it re-opened let me know seems to be solved