HD 7750 freezing up games

Greetings everyone!

As someone might remember, i posted another thread a while back about which GPU i should upgrade to. I went through with it and now i have a new HD 7750 from Sapphire. Actually, you guys advised me to get the 7770 but things got messy on my end and now i'm stuck with the 7750.

Alas, that's not the problem. Over the one month that i've had the card in my PC, one apparent issue keeps jabbing me in the soul whenever i try to get my gaming on - the GPU either freezes up every few minutes or stops working all together - screen goes black for a moment and then Windows "recovers" it from its epileptic seizure. 

I thought the first thing i'd have to do is check if i had the latest drivers, and yes- that is correct.

the other thing i was messing with is the "overdrive" function in the catalyst control center - right now it's at 830 GPU clock and 1000 MHz memory clock, power at 20% (max) and fan speed at 50%. and at these settings the problem is more obvious than ever, i feel the rage building up more and more every time i have to sit through a "driver not responding" session in the middle of a gun fight.

i'll bump the GPU and memory clocks down to the default values and if this keeps happening i dont' know what i'm going to do. probably attempt to get it replaced since it doesnt meet the specs on the box.

also, i'm not sure if this other thing is caused by the GPU but sometimes when i open up a video on youtube and full-screen it, the whole PC freezes up for about a second and then goes on as normal. i'd say this happens every other video i play in full-screen. i dont know if it's because the GPU is underclocked way down by default when there aren't any GPU-heavy applications running or if it's the same thing that's causing games to freeze up.

anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on what i can fiddle with i'd be happy to give it a shot.

What PSU are you using? Maybe its not getting all the power it needs thus failing especially when trying to game. I had this issue myself on my 7950 until my PSU finally gave out. 

As prican asked, what power supply are you using?  I think the pause when doing full screen youtube is pretty usual, I have a 7850 OC edition and my rig does the same thing.

i'm using a 600W Fortron PSU but i've had it's caps replaced not long ago and i modded it to accept a 120 mm fan. but since it's semi-old by now, how would i go about testing it if i had to? 

What is its efficiency rating? What is the amp spread on the the rails? Single 12v rail?

This psu? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104014 because if it is thats probably the problem 4x 12v rails isent good at all :/

Dont have the power thing on +20 i find that it makes the gpu less stable and let the fan run automatically

Ok not sure which model 7750 you got but from what i see most come with a 800mhz core clock. Sapphire's that is. So i would suggest resetting the setting and leaving them alone until you get your hands on a new PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171060 is a really nice 80 plus Bronze one for 49.99 and 20.00 MIR. Single 12v rail is what you're looking for.

alright, thanks for all the feedback guys, i'll look into the PSU market in my area and hopefully that will be the end of it.

cheers!

Yep let us know how it works out for ya.