Having some issues with openvpn

Hi guys im having a little trouble with openvpn, ive installed it and everything and ive clicked on the certificate and installed that, the ovpn files are in the config folder and everything, i go to connect and then i get user authentication and i put in my details for open vpn being my username and password but it doesn't let me log in and connect can someone help, i know its probably a noob thing im missing but would be great if someone helped me out thanks!

Is this on pfsense?
What are we connecting from the vpn from?
Post your config without certificate and key stuff and pfsense firewall openvpn rules

Can you also post the openvpn log, it will tell you why it's failing to connect

you did not say what flavor of linux you are using but i have found this page from digitalocean to be really helpful, i have used it each time i have installed or reinstalled openvpn and it works everytime:

good luck.

hey my friend sorry for the late reply I was Ill the last few days and yes basically im trying to set up open vpn on windows 10 and Im having a bit of trouble im just confused on how to use it, ive installed the openvpn application and when i go to the gui in my tray bar and try to connect to a server i then am shown a log and then it asks me for user authentication and asks me for a password and username which I dont know, ive put on the files on my pc which are the opvns and clicked install the certificate and thats about it and really need help setting this up ASAP thank you

thank you very much, will this work with fedora aswell?

im just prompeted with a login in called user authentication which asks me for a username and password

Where is the server and who setup the server?
By where I mean in house on pfsense or vps or what?

i do not really understand what you have just said aha but i used this guide if this is any indicator as to where i may be wrong https://www.cactusvpn.com/tutorials/how-to-set-up-openvpn-on-windows-10/

Did you sign up for cactusvpn service?

What are you running openvpn on? It has a log somewhere which will tell you what the problem is. If it's Linux it will be in the syslog if it's windows then I don't know but you should be able to find out.

I had similar problems but I didn't want to bother @sanfordvdev again (Thanks for last time and the others you have helped helped me too).

I got a new gateway last week (TP-Link TC-W7960) and it broke my VPN connection. I am pretty sure I have the new router set-up correctly, but IDK? First I had to fix the "Disconnected Ethernet cable" TAP connection. I uninstalled it and deleted the driver from the Control Panel > Device Manager. Then I uninstalled OpenVPN using REVO Uninstaller. OpenVPN left a lot of trash behind. Then I rebooted and installed OpenVPN again. TAP was fixed.

My VPN has a configuration generator page. First I log in so it knows my encryption key. Then it asks questions and saves an .ovpn file.

I wish I could give you a more definitive answer, but all I did was review past forum threads and make educated guesses about what my config should be. Then I would exit OpenVPN and place a single configurationgenerator.ovpn file in the config folder to test it. I only took 4 tries!

nope my friend

im running it on windows 10 and where can i find the log from?

alright so you are running a client on windows 10 and there is no server. You will either have to setup your own personal openvpn server or sign up for a service like cactusvpn and many others out there.