Having a hard time deciding on whether or not to part with my desktop

My 2014 Razer Blade even has soldered memory haha

:grin:
Yeah, I kind of feel bad, that I can’t upgrade anything on my Surface Pro 3 (I highly value upgradability) but at the time it was the only device where I comfortably could make handwritten notes and use it for most Laptop tasks. I still like and use it :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Was looking at Surfsce Books but they are so expensive for what you get…

1 Like

At least MS offer financing. :smiley:

The surface books look really cool.

1 Like

The company I used (sorry, I can’t remember their name/URL) supplies their replacement key cap with a new “scissors bracket” to link the key cap to the keyboard.
Caution: there were like 4-5 popular key cap styles for ThinkPad and they all look very similar. Take your time and study the example photos carefully, when trying to identify the type of key cap that you need.

1 Like

If I were you and I truly didn’t use the Desktop anymore or as much as I wanted, I would get some nice glass display cases and do a tear down to put everything in. You can memorialize it and keep the sentimental value.

Also, the parts are still around in case you find yourself with an extra SSD or a smaller case, or maybe you hit it big and get yourself a nice loft or house with an office.

I have a hard time letting go, especially stuff that I had when I wasn’t making a lot of money or my wife’s family (girlfriend at the time) helped me put together. We have a whole closet for “Chris’s old computer stuff” and, Gersh damn it, I earned that closet.

2 Likes

Ubiquiti makes some point to point wireless systems that go far as hell with good throughput if you have LOS. Don’t know what your budget is but it’s an option

@Zippy_Parmesian

2 Likes

I’ll have to look into it. Thanks for the heads up. Sounds interesting.

Do you know someone who lives close to you with a better internet connection? Or maybe a business you know the owner of

Check out the range on some of these devices

https://www.ubnt.com/products/#airmax

1 Like

No. Nowhere close by at least. We live in this small municipality. Neighbors don’t get good WiFi either. We have like one ISP (CenturyLink) and it’s quite the Monopoly this far out.

Wow. That’s crazy

I have deployed some of those nanostations for security cameras and was able to send 4 4K IP cam streams smoothly over like 400 yards, which is not really that far

you could pay someone to bum off their internet if you can find a better connection

1 Like

Good idea. I’ll look into it.

yep, just what I was thinking.

Also, I still believe caching is a good idea when you have a slow connection, just browse github.

1 Like

Depends what youre after. If your not limited by CPU, why not sell the desktop and invest in an external gpu enclosure and a fantastic monitor for home? The platform remains portable, can game (if thats the use case) or crunch 3d and is significantly cheaper than a full system.

1 Like