Have you tried to record Horizon Zero Dawn PC gameplay through OBS?

Hi guys! I’m Aria and I’m a newbie at this forum.
So the little intro: I’m a gamer and I like to share my let’s play videos on YouTube. Nice to meet you all here!
Have you tried to record Horizon Zero Dawn PC gameplay through OBS? It’s very strange, but it is the first game where I have problems with let’s plays. Everything is OK while I’m playing, but when I watch what I’ve recorded, I feel sad. No “soap”, but I can see some frames loss. This is clearly visible with a sharp movement, slight twitching of the character is noticeable. What is more, sometimes a black bar may appear on the screen (I don’t know how I could explain it, but that means for me some frames didn’t record at all).
I tried different settings - bitrate, codec, etc. The best recording was with H.264, but there was a black bar again…
I want to record 1080p60, as for me, it is the best option for those who don’t have a hundred thousand subs or more (YouTube gives some restrictions for small channels, and recodes your video to the worst quality).
This game on PC has a lot of negative reviews. Can there be problems with the recording due to the fact that it is poorly optimized on a PC, and from it, there is no sense in 60 fps? I uploaded an example of the video 1080p30, but I can’t watch it, it’s awful with YouTube’s lowest codec.
Or there is a problem with my PC/OBS?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

… did you ever try just using a different capture method?

It’s always in the order of:

Game Capture > Window Capture > Desktop Capture

Also, you’ve given to PC Specifications, so there’s no way to tell if it’s a hardware bottleneck. In bio.

Thanks for your reply!
Hm, I tried only Game Capture for Horizon :thinking: Maybe, I should try Window Capture. Thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile: As for Desktop Capture, I have never thought about it, because Game and Window never let me down in other games…

You’re welcome, I used to be a streamer in the earlier days of Twitch. Kinda up an quit after 300 Followers, in part because I couldn’t really retain attention.

Desktop Capture almost always works, though obviously exposes that display’s desktop.

I wish I could stream on YouTube someday…
I think it is a gj to obtain even 300 followers. There are so many competitors, especially on Twitch, and somebody can’t reach this number for years…

But that’s not a reason not to use it. I’ll try it too.

HZD has some issues being captured.
From the streams I have seen it has massive performance issues in the capture, it looks like it is stuttering and the frames are jumping around, even when the gameplay is smooth(-ish) - as smooth as it can be in HZD. The PC port unfortunately has a lot of issues… doesn’t do the console version justice IMO :confused:

That’s very sad to hear… I was waiting for PC version because I don’t have any console yet. But I’m happy to hear I’m not the only one who has such problems with capture. Just a frame loss.

Well, lets just say some people do dumb stuff with desktop capture enabled. Like showing content they shouldn’t or exposing something that really shouldn’t have been seen to the crowd.

I agree with you, you have to be careful with this thing.

And one more moment.
What I understood from Reddit, is that you have to capture this game with framerate 30 fps and it is the only solution now. But it looks awful :disappointed_relieved:
I don’t know how I avoided other bugs and issues, maybe they will appear in the future.

There are people that had no issues with the game itself, and there are some where they have constant crashes…
It’s a bit weird because Death Stranding on the same Engine had no such issues…