Have given up on Ryzen need help updating an Intel Build

In case anyone is interested here is my revised Ryzen build with changes recommended by Wendell My Ryzen 1700 Build.

@wendell: You mentioned Chelsio. Are their NICs better for 10 GBit/s Ethernet on Linux?

Not saying you are wrong, but do you have some evidence for that impression? I would like to read into that, since I am also looking to buy a 10 GBit/s NIC for Linux.

Doesn't that case allow for a bigger cooler? The NH-L12 doesn't give you much headroom for overclocking the 1700. The chip does have a lower TDP but you will significantly go over that if you want to approach the performance of the 1800X.

If he is going to spend an extra 100 dollars. A 6800k is 130 extra some places. So why not just get that? But he doesn't want to spend that extra amount.

Not really, but everyone I know who has setup a 10Gb network said that is the case, I am trusting them to not lie to me. Maybe we can get some members who have done test with 10Gb nic could chime in and say I am talking out of my rear, or I am right. I just don't know I don't have the equipment to check out if what I have heard is correct. At work we are still using 1Gb network and Intel nic's are what we use.

So what cooler would you suggest?

I have this one for my R7 1700 and x370 Taichi mobo.

https://geizhals.at/noctua-nh-d15-se-am4-a1579537.html?hloc=at

That would be great, maybe @wendell can share some impressions?

The NH-D15 as @noidea mentioned is an option and I have heard only good things about the bequiet Dark Rock Pro 3.

The Intel 6800K doesn't make sense, because I need an eight core cpu, if you read further up where I update my goals I mention I will be running 3 or 4 virtual machines two of which will never shut down unless there is a problem. If I where to which over to the Intel side this would be the least expensive Intel x99 platform. My Intel X99 Build

Only downsides to coolers like these, is the building problem you get with your computer case (fitting in; correct airflow), and also some tall RAM sticks can get into the coolers way.

I think PC-Partpicker should be able to tell him if there are compatibility problems.

If you want to go with an R7 cpu and you want to tinker allot with overclocking.
Then i would recommend one of these following boards.

1 Asrock X370 Professional gaming.
2 Asrock X370 Taichi.
3 Asus Crosshair 6 Hero.
4 Aorus X370 Gaming K7.

The Asrock professional gaming and Taichi share the same pcb and vrm implementation.
They are currentlly one of the best boards in terms of vrm implementation.
The Asus and the Aorus are also excellent choices.

Another mention goes for the Aorus X370 Gaming 5 which has the same vrm implementation as the K7.
However the Gaming 5 lacks on a B-clock generator chip.

Thanks for the advice. To be honest, I was tempted to go ITX, but the availability is not great right now... Hoping to see some better options in the next few months.

Nope not much great options yet.
I really hope that Asrock comes with a higherend itx board,
based on the IR35201 pwm voltage controller in 6+2 phase mode.
With the same Ti nexfet CSD87350 40A powerstages as used on the Taichi.
That would be a beast of a motherboard.
Eventually double the +2 phases to 4 for SOC wenn there is enough space left.
6 true phases with those 40A Ti nexfets should be plenty for Ryzen7 overclocking.

Then again even those "6"+3 Asus(?) board are enough for Ryzen as long as you don't overclock :slight_smile: AMD made sure that every board has enough power to manage a 1800X at stock.

Not saying it's any good, but it'll run.

That what you are refering to is an Asrock low budget vrm used on their budget B350 boards.
Like the B350M pro 4 and such.
Its basiclly a 3+3 phase design, with doubled up components on the Vcore vrm.
Allthough the current capability is okayish for Ryzen on stock.
But i dont recommend them for overclockers nope.
But to be fairlly honnest non of the B350 boards do really impress me at all.
They are all kinda meh....
Okay enough for Ryzen 5 and some overclocking.
But honnestlly for Ryzen 7 people should better invest in a decent X370 board aswell.

Yep, really a shame imo. Considering the B350 is supposed to be an overclock Chipset it's kinda lame none of them can actually overclock :frowning:

Yeah well for a Ryzen5 1500X or a 1400 4 core cpu and overclocking.
They are pretty fine.
And for Ryzen 5 1600 (X) some are okayish, but yeah....
But maybe we might see better B350 boards in the future.