Have given up on Ryzen need help updating an Intel Build

That's fair. We have rolling brownouts every summer, and I've had issues with freenas not coming back up on abrupt power failure, so that's just my insurance.

Yeah, I've never really been an expert on power delivery and that sort of stuff. Most of my work is in datacenters where filtered power comes up in 80A circuits from the floor like magic.

This all is good information though, thanks!

1 Like

Most people underestimate a good supply of power and what power outages can do to equipment and the data stored on it.

Yeah I know what you mean and I only read about all of that when I was looking for a way to get rid of that annoying frequency on my power lines. If you are interested, the Wikipedia article on the topic is probably worth a read.

That's awesome :smiley:

Maybe I spend too much time on the internet, but I had to think of this when I read that.

2 Likes

It's really wonderful. If I ever have to go to a datacenter, all I have to do is slide the server in the rack and connect the power cables to the PDU which has a primary lead coming out of the floor. Then I go into the management console and configure the outlet and the server is good to go. Never have to worry about bad frequency or voltage.

1 Like

The AGESA Update was stable when it went into the beta BIOS Updates I think, it was just not official yet I guess.

1 Like

From what I have read in today's article on Anandtech, I think it is official now.

Crosshair hero 6 has working iommu for win game vms.

Buy now and you are fine. 1700 if you want to manually 1800x for set it and forget it :slight_smile:

gigabyte 5 and asrock taichi are my personal picks because ecc support too. We are about 1 to 2weeks from ageesa latest.

Just be choosy picking memory right now and you will be fine

6 Likes

yes, hence why I said "yet" :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I could swear I read "it is just not official"..
I might need to have them check my eyes :smile:

1 Like

Thats good news.

Of course i can only agree with the boards you are suggesting.
Those are just the best boards you could get atm.
And if i´m trully honnest, if you tempt to go with an R7 cpu,
i think that you exally should get one of those better X370 boards.
The B350 boards, allthough some are pretty reasonable and capable.
But what i have seen from most B350 boards and their overall build quality and vrm implementations.
I cannot really recommend them to people who want to squeeze the best performance out of a R7 cpu really.
And i also think that you shouldnt really limmited yourself to a B350 board wenn going with a R7 cpu.

2 Likes

Good insight, thanks! I've been tempted to pull the trigger and up until now, my build included one of the B350 boards.

1 Like

The real question is will it fix the problems I have with Ryzen, ie compatibility with memory chips and memory speeds, let's not forget the fact right know if you want to really mess around with virtualization Intel is the better product. I know to fully accomplish my goals my choices of platforms are either x99 or the forth coming 299X on the Intel side. On the AMD side Ryzen or the up coming X399 + Threadripper. But with X99 being so expensive I automatically cross that of my list.

So with current platforms available Ryzen 7 1800X is what makes more sense than X99, but wait one minuet Ryzen has a memory issues and doesn't do virtualization very well. So I finally I start lowering my goals and end up on the Intel side of things with either an I5 or I7. Hense the tile of this post.

I may have given the impression of only wanting to build a gaming rig without using Windows 10 as my operating system. That isn't the case so I have decided to to update what I am really trying to accomplish.

First goal build a computer that doesn't use Windows 10 as its main operating software.

Second goal computer has to be able to play any game in the world without resorting to dual boot. Which basic leave me with the only choice being Linux for the main operating software because Windows 10 in my opinion is a huge security risk (which is why the company I work for is switching slowly to Linux and Linux apps instead of staying with Microsoft). But wait Linux can't play any game in the world, but their is wine, the problem with wine while it will play some games, it isn't a really a complete replacement for Windows. So now the only way we can accomplish our second goal is to use Linux and run Windows 10 in a virtual machine, mess with keyboard, mouse, and graphic card pass through which if I understand how this process works is a pain in the butt to setup on the Intel side of thing, but is nearly impossible to setup with Ryzen, at least currently.

Third goal computer has to be able to support three or four virtual machines two of which will always stay running unless there is a problem with the equipment or power issue.

Forth goal computer has to cost under $10,000 US can't spend anymore time than two years accomplishing all goals it is all right to buy parts as you can afford them, but can't take anymore than two years.

Here is what I think a Ryzen build that will fit all my needs would look like My Ryzen Build And on the X99 platform would probably cost between an additional $1000 to $1500. The only parts I would change for an X99 Build would be the CPU and motherboard.

Thanks Wendell for taking the time out of your busy day to chime in. If you could take a look at my update goals and build I would really be grateful. My main concern is the memory I picked out, my estimation of the amount of my power needs, and did I screw up with the choice of UPS. I learned the hard way that an UPS is very important.

Skip the Intel add in nic. Maybe something from Chelsio?

Pick a Better cpu cooler .

Forum halp is that bdie kit for ram? I can't easily cross right now

Relevant to your interests

1 Like

Well, time will tell, but from the Blog Post at AMD it looks promising and what wendell wrote seems to confirm that :slight_smile:

Unless you're wanting to overclock anyway in which case you can just get a 1700 and save quite a bit. They clock pretty much the same across the board... ± 100Mhz depending on silicon lottery.

Not true, a lot of newer titles get on Linux too, praise GabeN.
But you're not wrong either, a big part of games don't, depends which games you want probably.

That should be no problem really. Ryzen has enough cores to handle that (depending what the VMs are doing ofc).

For that money you can buy like 4 systems minimum...

Holy shit how did you manage to get it this expensive... Good lord.
.. Ah well, 64 GB RAM and the Drives, and 2 1080s and the UPS ok...
Not sure if 2 1080s are really worth it if you can only passthrough one of them anyway (unless you install a third low-low-low-end card into the PCIe 2.0).

Idk... at that point maybe a second smaller system for the VMs would be more cost-efficient, running 2 1080s even in idle 24/7 just so the VMs stay online is kind of a waste of electricity, but that's your business.

I like how they misspell AGESA :smiley:

The reason I pick the Intel nic is I heard the drivers for Intel nic's are better when you are dealing with 1Gb network how ever when you are dealing 10 Gb networks it seems Chelsio are the best, it has to do with the fact Intel screwed up their drivers when they where designing their 10 Gb nic's.

I am satisfied. With the information I just came across from the link @wendell posted and information from the current Wan Show, I am confident AMD is trying to address my concerns with Ryzen.

I was maybe thinking about overclocking, but saving almost $200 dollars is $200 dollars that can be put toward something else.

Easy I have expensive tastes:grin: Well when you get 3 8TB hard drive and a 2TB ssd that's $1600 right there. 64GB of ram is really on the low side for what I want to you thats another $500 dollars it all add up.

Now I supose I can go with a 1TB ssd save a few dollars, change the cpu out for the 1700. I have heard you need two graphic card when you are messing around with what I am trying to do with gaming. PcPartPicker doesn't allow you to pick two different type of graphic cards. I was thinking of getting a used Nividia 950 or 960 as one and the Nividia 1080 for my Windows 10 VM machine, if Ryzen had a builtin graphical Interface, I probably could get a way with just one. The current graphic card I have and there isn't anything wrong with it except it doesn't support the technology I need. I check, I need at least a graphic card in Nividia's 700 family. In other words any graphic card in the following family the 700 series, 900 series, and the 1000 series.

That's true, but unless you're also playing Linux based games the second 1080 is wasted, a low-budget card does the same since it's just for Linux Desktop and Monitor Output. One is passed through (well, I think you can pass through 2? Not sure, but then you'd need a third card for Linux anyway), the other for Linux.

Ah well, that explains it.

I don't think you can pass through 2 graphic cards,every instruction to setup graphic card pass through don't mention you can and leaves the reader thinking once you get it setup one of the cards isn't used. Also I heard you can't use 2 of the same graphic cards for example a 950 and a 1080 will work or a 1080 and a 1060 would work.

That was only for the current Ryzen problems as I understood. As long as they are in different IOMMU groups it should work.

Not sure on that since I haven't read a whole lot into it though.