Have given up on Ryzen need help updating an Intel Build

A while back I bought a new UPS and decided to go for the (slightly) more expensive VFI (online) models because there was some weird oscillation on the line, around 9kHz. I think it's totally worth it, since you get a line conditioner and a UPS in one :smiley:

1 Like

you will be blown away. I was blown away (and I was coming from a 4570).

btw, unless you're really uncomfortable with overclocking, and/or really need every last MHz, I would say get the 1700. it's a lot cheaper, and overclocks similarly. mine is stable at 3.85GHz, which I'm given to understand is the lower end of reasonable expectations.

2 Likes

I wonder what the new BIOS updates that allow for up to 4000MHz RAM will do for overclocking. If the Infinity Fabric gets a boost, I'd imagine the CPU would perform better overall at the same clock speeds.

4000 MHz sounds like an insane boost to me, but there is probably a diminishing return on investment.

1 Like

So a line conditioner and a UPS are not the same thing usually, but some are both.

That's correct. The UPS I have is a VFI UPS, so it rectifies AC to DC and then charges a battery which in turn powers the inverter to give me AC again. I don't know if there is any further fancy filtering going on, but it did manage to get rid of that annoying oscillation that would become audible in my computer's PSU.

Now lest not get too greedy, Lets us all pray at least this time around the upcoming bios update completely fixes the memory issues with Ryzen and we don't have to cherry pick ram just to get decent memory speeds. Also let's not forget fixing virtualization. Turning a process that currently nearly impossible to some time possible or dare we dream to possible with some caveats would be a huge improvement..

I have since change my mind, let's get greedy and pray that AMD fixes everything everyone wants with the new update and really blow Intel out of the water. The reason for my change of heart is I forgot Intel is releasing it's 299X form factor this summer. I hope AMD doesn't blow its chance to be competitive with Intel.

1 Like

X299 will likely be prohibitively expensive in comparison to Ryzen. It will likely perform a bit better, but I'm not convinced the CPUs will be under the $700 price point.

1 Like

AMD is also releasing an ultra high end platform too to compete with X299. It is called X399 + Threadripper. Quad channel memory, 40+ PCIE lanes and up to 16 core 32 thread CPUs.

Eitherway, both will be significantly more expensive than either X370 or Z270.

3 Likes

Don't all UPSes do this? I mean they all have to have a battery backup and surge protection since that is what an UPS does.

I haven't seen much about the AMD offerings. That's awesome! I think the main thing that was holding me back was the PCIe lanes. This should be fun!

It was available for mainboard manufcaturer for a while already, there were beta bioses with it.

Technically a UPS is a "uninterruptable power supply" so all it does is making sure that the connected devices are having power. A lot of them do have some sort of surge protection but that is not always the case. What most UPSs never do is to condition the power and any disturbances that are on the line will be passed on to the connected devices, since it just bridges the input wires to the output wires, if the input voltage is high enough. Only when the power goes out, it will switch the output wires to the inverter that is powered by the batteries.

Well now it's supposed to be stable I guess :smiley:

Not sure what UPSs you buy, but all of mine do this. I only use APC.

EDIT: 5 second google, shows a consumer grade UPS that does it.

Maybe I wasn't precise with my words. I didn't mean to say that there aren't any consumer VFI UPSs. What I meant was that most consumer UPSs aren't VFI, since that is usually not necessary and introduces cost that isn't necessary. Most consumer UPSs (that I have seen) are VFD ones, which simply switch between passing the input to the output (maybe through some filters on the way) and the battery + inverter.

Btw: I had an APC BackUPS before I got a VFI UPS which did pass the 9kHz on to my devices.

I've just always thought that if you are going to spend money on a UPS, you should get one that's going to do everything. It's one of those things where you have to ask yourself "why am I buying this" and I always buy it for the power filtering on top of the additional runtime during power outages.

I was basically going to say the same thing, but your explanation is a lot better than mine.

1 Like

I completely agree with you, but where I live the power is excellent. I hardly ever had a power outage (I remember two years ago there was a brownout for a few minutes where my old VFD UPS triggered a few times in a row). But if you are living in a place where the power fluctuates a lot (not just below the normal voltage but also above that) then I strongly recommend getting something better too.

The one you linked seems to be a VI UPS (line interactive) that is boosting the input voltage if it dips and limits it, if it gets too high. What it can't compensate for however are frequency issues since it has to output the same frequency as there is on the input. If the frequency on the input is usually stable, then you are fine, but if you want the extra protection against unwanted frequencies and other disturbances like I experienced, you need a VFI (online) UPS or a "normal" UPS with a separate line conditioner, but that might be more expensive in combination.

The one I have is the "BlueWalker PowerWalker VFI 1000T/E LCD". It can run in bypass (standby) mode and in VFI mode, which I am using.