Have given up on Ryzen need help updating an Intel Build

I have decided after I had I power surge that damaged all the memory slots on my motherboard but one its time to upgrade my desktop. Lucky for me nothing else was damaged so I will be able to transfer all but the motherboard ram and CPU. Also a lucky happenstance I had purchased an upgrade for my power supply which I hadn't installed until after the power surge. The only reason I have put off purchasing the parts is I have been waiting to see if AMD fixes the memory issues and add their version of some technology that only Intel has. But I don't think that is going to happen at least not for another year or two. I can't wait that long so that why I have given up on Ryzen. I might reconsider for the next upgrade but not this one.

So I am writing this post for help in picking the intel parts I need to replace and to make sure the upgrade will do everything I want it to do. First I want to make surre any parts I purchase are 100 percent compatible with Linux. I absolutely refuse to upgrade Windows 10. I don't mind stepping up a Windows virtual machine to be able to play my Window Games. Second I absolutly can't live without the abbility wendell demonstrated in a video. I think was called gameing on Luxux or KVM.

Third, I have to accompollish my goal with the least amount of money spent.

The following link is what I have got so farupgrade build

2 Likes

That's a silly reason to give up on the better CPU

6 Likes

Make sure to get a UPS in future. But your part list looks good to me. Actually my mom just lost her laptop because she left it plugged in a during a storm, My desktop survived just fine even though it was still plugged in, because I use a UPS.

4 Likes

It isn't a silly reason to give up a better CPU, if you can't live without gaming or graphic pass though. I will grant you Ryzen gives you more cores for less money than Intel, but when it comes to gaming on Linux or virtualization Intel is the better product, at lest for the next year or so. Ryzen is just too new of a technology for gaming on Linux or virtualization, it need time to grow up.

1 Like

Wait for AGESA 1006.

3 Likes

Intel 7600k is fine. But if you want slightly more horsepower go for a 5820k or 6800k. You can pick them up for about 300 to 330 USD.

Literally few hours ago, AnandTech published a post on that. The update is rolling out now and you can expect BIOS updates within the next two weeks or so.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11447/amd-announces-ryzen-agesa-1006-update

From the post:

Of particular interest here, the latest firmware is going to enhance memory overclocking and compability, as well as add a much needed virtualization-related feature.
[...]
With AGESA 1.0.0.6, memory frequencies have not only been expanded all the way up to DDR4-4000, but between DDR4-2667 and DDR4-4000 the increments have been reduced to 133MT/s. Not only does this mean that more memory kits will be able to be run at their rated speed - and not get kicked down to the nearest supported speed - but it also significantly reduces the high-speed memory gap that the AM4 platform had with Intel's mainstream LGA1151 platform.
[...]
The last addition should excite those interested in virtualization. AMD has announced "fresh support" for PCI Express Access Control Services (ACS), which enables the ability to manually assign PCIe graphics cards within IOMMU groups.

I thought that wendell said k processors don't support pcie passthrough?

To my knowledge, you need a chip with VT-d and there are many K-processors that have it. I have a 4790K and it does support VT-d. My IOMMU groups are also quite nice for PCIe passthrough, but I haven't tried it yet myself, since I am not playing any games, so I can't tell for sure.

2 Likes

Original Haswell CPUs do not support the extensions. Intel stopped being morons with Devil's Canyon and later revisions putting them back in.

Tbh. It isn't. I really couldn't recommend a 7600K anymore. Or any i5 for that matter. They are just too expensive for a quad core.

The only Intel CPU I can honestly recommend is the 7700K if you're only gaming or the Pentium for a budget build.

None of the other chips make any sense anymore and now with the latest bios update for AMD ehh makes it even harder.

2 Likes

That explains why my 4790K has it. :thinking:

Indeed :thumbsup:

1 Like

I have the I5 750 and it has VT-d. As I said in my original post the only that was really damaged was three out of four memory slots on the motherboard and the power supply. There are only two major reasons why I am even considering upgrading. One the processor is really old and I am currently limited to a max 4GB of ram. And I would like to see what the new Intel I5 or Intel 7 and maybe Ryzen can do.

I to would like an 7700k but the difference between the 7700K and the 7600K is a $100 dollars while only giving up 10 percent in higher performance, at least that is what I have heard. That is $100 dollars I can save to put toward an SSD or graphic card. I forgot to mention while my Nividia 580 wasn't damaged, it also doesn't have the technology it needs to support graphical pass through.

Well, not to sound rude, but you heard wrong. Those 4 extra threads and higher clocks really do make a difference. Especially in multitasking, some games, and running VMs ect..

Pure quad cores really aren't enough anymore IMO. Especially when you can get a 6/12 part for less than an i5....

Personally, in your case, I wouldn't recommend either a 7700K or a 7600K. I'd recommend a 1600(X). But if you had to pick only among Intel CPU's I'd recommend the i7. The i5 really isn't enough moving forward imho especially for the price.

2 Likes

Another option could be just dual booting, would save allot of headaches.
Then a 7600K or 7700K would be a decent upgrade.
However i do agree that a i5 is hard to recommend wenn you can get a R5-1600 for less.

3 Likes

Or a UPS...

Sorry, I will show myself out.

5 Likes

What I would really would like is a Ryzen 7 1800k but with the memory issues and poor virtualization support currently for the Ryzen family I was think about forgetting about Ryzen and going with Intel, but With the updates coming with AGESA 1006, if it completely fixes my concerns with Ryzen of course I am going to drop Intel like a hot potato.

1 Like

Or better protection against power spikes coming form the sub par wiring in the house I live in. That how my current desktop suffered its current damage. I cheap out on the power protection.

1 Like

If you can wait for another few weeks – until the updates are out and @wendell had a chance to check it out – I would definitely wait.

2 Likes

Get one of these:

Line conditioners do what they say. Take bad power and prevent it from getting to your prized components.

2 Likes