Haswell

hello, i am gonna build a gaming pc and i used to be a console gamer and i want to move to the pc. But ivybridge is roughly 7-8 months old and i heard that haswell will come out in april next year, so should i go for ivybridge or should i wait for haswell.

I'm still on Sandy Bridge because when Ivy came out I didn't see any reason to switch, I feel Haswell will be the same damn way :/

I don't know about that. Haswell is going to be a completely new socket, so there should be some significant performance improvements. Either way though, both Sandy and Ivy are still powerhouses and they aren't going to be bottlenecks anytime soon.

If you want the best of the best, then go ahead and wait. New graphics cards are going to be coming out soon too.

It doesn't matter if ivy is 7-8 months old it's still the most efficient and recent cpu line intel has put out. Ivy bridge should suit you just fine in terms of gaming performance with the i5 3570k.

I don't thing there are enough leitimate leaks on hasewell to get too amped up yet so i'd proably get ivy.

i expect my gaming computer to game on 1080p for about 3 years, then i will upgrade to the next processor after skylake, so will ivy bridge do the trick?

and sandy bridge too.

like vortex88 said "they aren't going to be bottlenecks anytime soon."

Considering most games are hardly cpu dependant (unless 3 or 4 gpu's together).. yes IVY, hell even sandybridge will suit you at 1080p for the next few years.

To put it into perspective, I have an i7 2600k overclocked to 4.6Ghz, 8GB of RAM, and two MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme Editions in SLI. I'm also running a resolution of 2560x1440, and I can run all of my games at highest settings (although, I still haven't tried out Metro 2033 yet. BF3 and Crysis work great though).

Any chance you can run BF3 and tell me how many cores it uses? Possibly in  multiplayer mode as well, i am curious to see how my phenom compares to a OC sandy monster. Thank you for your time and response.

I can check. From what I've heard, though, BF3 will utilize as many cores as your CPU has just to allow for better performance.

Please do when you have some free time, i thank you and appreciate your time and response.

Haswell is, without a doubt, going to perform better than Ivy Bridge when it comes to performance per watt. But we're only talking a ~10-15% performance increase per clock. Onboard GPU (aka. "APU") performance is Intels main focus with next-gen CPUs. IMO, if this is true, not worthy the wait or upgrade if you already have a Sandy/Ivy system.

Just my 2 cent.

It looks like it's using 6 out of my 8 threads. The other two threads are still working on something, but they're not being stressed as much. Either way, my CPU usage is only 33% while playing battlefield, and I have firefox, origin, MSI Afterburner, and Steam open as well.

It's like i heard from one of the small computer repair business here in minnesota;

this guy was bragging about his OC'd 8120 with quad 560s set up at home with 5 screens. "Yea just to see what was going on i opened up task manager and cores 7&8 are lazy fucks, not doing anything"

^ yea and considering a slight Oc on an Ivy can compensate for said 10-15% performance increase at the same clocks, nothing to worry about, ive wont be faster but an Oc'd #570k will probably still beat the normal haswell i5 at stock... and they might be even worse than ivy for Oc'ing because its a shrinking NM process which means more heat.

From the rumour and speculations from what I've read about Haswell, it wont really be a drastic impovement over Ivy bridge in straight brute performance. It will be more orientated towards lower wattage, lower heat, better built in graphics. Lower heat and wattage does leave more headroom for OC'ing but even that will have to be seen and proven. Id say go with Sandy Bridge or Ivy bridge, they are really powerful chips.

Someone who's opinion I trust who has an NDA about Haswell said now is a great time to buy Sandy/Ivy Bridge.

From the leaks I have read,  it sounds like Has/Broadwell will be awesome CPUs for slim form factors like laptops, and iMac style single chassis solutions for the highly improved integrated graphics and BGA sockets, but gaming enthusiasts might as well sit this one out.  Performance gains are leaked to be around 10%.  Not enough to get excited about.

my mom's desktop has an i7 920. I see the same thing with threads 2, 4, 6, and 8, except when I encode video. encoding is the only time I see the cpu on it max out.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like Haswell will just be a consideration for extreme CPU intensive stuff users.