Haswell or Ivybridge?

I understand it is more effective to overclock on an IB vs. Haswell. I've done some reading about the two, but I'm am completely new to the technology of cpu's. Which chip will allow me to upgrade to the next gen chip (after Haswell) easier? I mean, do you have to purchase a whole new mobo when that time comes? Is there more to change than just the cpu and mobo to run next gen? 

And what exactly is "10% increase in performance" that I keep reading about Haswell? Am I missing out on any nice features between 1155 vs 1150?

Thank you for your time. Everything else has been a breeze until I began comparing cpu tech.

What can I expect with Broadwell and Maxwell? Or are they even worth it.....

Intel usually require a new motherboard socket for each new line of CPUs. Ivybridge or Haswell will last a considerable amount of time - you're looking at a good 5 years of use before you need to upgrade. Obviously, Haswell is the more up-to-date socket, but there isn't a lot of difference between the two generations.

You do not have to upgrade with every given generation. People who are still using Sandybridge CPUs have comparable performance to these up-to-date generations. The main differences that you are going to find are slightly improved motherboard utilities, maybe a better interface like 6GB sata across all the sata ports and more USB 3.

I think Ivybridge is a little more overclock friendly, if that's what you're most concerned with. Very little difference in gaming benchmarks. Haswell has a slight boost (as much as 10% +/-) in productivity or synthetic benchmarks.

"Very little difference in gaming benchmarks."

Can you elaborate a little more on this. Will I notice a difference visually or performance-wise?

"Haswell has a slight boost (as much as 10% +/-) in productivity or synthetic benchmarks."

Haha I'm still not sure what that all means. :/

In games, you're not going to see a tangible difference. The differences between the two are negligible. While Ivybridge typically overclocks further, Haswell has a little more performance per clock. So the performance is about equal.

It is said that Haswell is a little faster with regards to video editing and that kind of productivity. For the average computer user that just wants to play games, you're not going to notice a difference.

About upgradability:

Socket 1155 ivyb is end of life, so i would personaly not invest anymore in a dead end. unless you dont care about.

Socket 1150: Hasswell is a diffrent story, intel wil come with atleast one tik for this platform normaly, this means, that there will be a 5th gen of intel cpu´s for the socket 1150 platform. this the route intel normaly goes.. So if intel does not do strange things, your hasswell cpu, will be at least upgradable, for one GEN. of cpu´s. before the socket also dies.

Long story short, i would personaly go for hasswell, because like i said, socket 1155 is dead, and i would not invest in that socket anymore. the price diffrence is not much. Z87/ H87 offfers more feutures. also not to mention, that its getting harder to find a decend socket 1155 board, and they are also expensive, because they, not get menufactured anymore..This is probably the biggest con you would notice if you wanne go with ivy-b socket 1155. Hasswell just offers better motherboards for lower prices.

But about the performance, like berserker allready said, there is not much of a diffrence between ivy and hasswell. about 10 procent in productivity maybe.  you wont realy feel that in the real world.

Grtz Angel ☺

Ok, great explanations. Thank you for laying it all out in a simpler form I understand. I've just heard alot of opinions on "enthusiasts" or forum members preferring Ivybridge over Haswell, and my decision felt questionable. I'm happy to know I don't have to scratch my build for a different CPU.

well the reason why most overclockers would say its better to go ivy over hasswell is because  hasswell has its own voltage regulator intergrated in the cpu. this means, that if the cpu run´s to hot, the vrm just throttles the cpu back. also hasswell has more power saving feutures. which ivy bridge basicly does not have, you can overclock the hell out of a ivybridge till it explodes basicly..  But i would still recommend hasswell over ivy. just the reasons i named above. also the overclockability with a hasswell K cpu is decent. overclockability is not realy a brainer in my opinnion.

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't pick a CPU based on the higher achievable clock. I would definitely recommend Haswell for the up-to-date motherboards, which I think would be desirable for someone like you.

There are other differences between the two generations, however, you don't really need to concern yourself with those. But like Angel said, it's for the enthusiasts to debate about voltage regulation and those other points. It doesn't effect regular users that just desire the functionality.

Very little difference between the two, performance-wise. If you were considering upgrading an existing Ivy Bridge PC to Haswell, I would say don't bother. People are still using Sandy Bridge and will be for many years yet. 

If you're building a new PC, I always recommend going with the latest parts. You get the latest advancements, more upgrade options and more features for your money. 

As the other have mentioned, it's nearly just as expensive to go with Ivy bridge as it is to go Haswell and the older parts are harder to find. Just go with the latest and get the best bang for your buck. 

An i5 setup will last you at least 5 years+ and by that time, Intel and AMD will both have completely new stuff on the market, so you'll have to buy a new CPU/motherboard and ram (DDR4 we hope) anyways. 

You can upgrade more frequently (every year or two) if you want, but I don't see the point because the costs don't necessarily justify the relatively small incremental gains (looking at CPUs, specifically). 

Yay, so I can keep my build. You guys have answered some questions that I apparently thought too hard over. 

It's what this community is here for. ;)

Just curious, can you post your build and budget so we can see what you have planned thus far? Might be able to help you refine your list, if need be. 

Her list is actually pretty solid:

https://teksyndicate.com/forum/overclocking/oc-cpu-memory-gc-haswell/169527

great taste!

less filling!

Wow, nice build for a first-timer. :) Guess she has a pretty substantial budget. 

I've had an entire year to fine tune, re tune, fine tune again on this. It was a bit different a few months ago and I've had my boyfriends experience with his build to start with. And yeah, this is coming out of my tax return money. ;)

Next time I won't have to think about peripherals and such. Much less money. 

Indeed the mobo can handle it with ease actually every board does nowadays. No real horrid things going on anymore.

The only advise I could give is that 2133 memory isn't needed. beyond 1866 MHz the gains are hardly noticeable with benching. So you can save a few bucks if needed however if it's 5 bucks more for a set it wouldn't matter that much :)