Has anyone noticed?

last i checked any1070 in stock was still pretty comparable to the 1080 in price. They may have attempted to solve the problem, but they have the same issue that AMD does.

and i'm sure $1 billion is a drop in the bucket. If Intel could go back in time, knowing they would get caught, and not perform the anti competitive practices that they were fined for, I'm sure they wouldn't; its $1billion well spent from their perspective. AMD lost $660 million in 2015 alone.

Read 'em and weep.

As a side note I paid just a couple of bucks over $600 Canadian for my GTX 1070 shipping, handling, and taxes included.

As an additional side note I'm also waiting on a $30.00 rebate on a $600.00 expenditure on a card that totally smokes the one in the picture. This totally beats the $1,500+ the scalpers are asking for the RX 580. So glad I went NVIDIA.

Managed to grab 290 Tri-X for 400€ and "everyone" seemed to focus on 290X which was going for 700€ and that mining caused it to go 1k€ I think, but that 290 price did go up with some delay and only for some months because I bought another one for 350€ish.

The Shillary Slope
When just comparing dates and numbers it should have worked for AMD's favor and 290 would be that 970, but year later that 900 series got a lot of attention even before Gameworks tessellation things.

Personal bright side
Almost 1=1 traded 290 Tri-X's for single Fury Tri-X, basically got for myself better Crossfire. :smiley:

For current cards I have nothing else to say than its probably good idea to have quick plan to push mining versions if its again happening, both Nvidia & AMD should know that upper oddity.

Yes. I've been noticing this trend. That certainly is the bright side of things. People have been selling their own RX 480's for triple what they paid for them and getting high end NVIDIA cards too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

my understanding is that AMD cards are far more efficient at mining. Do you think that might have any effect on which cards are having their prices spiked more?

" For current cards I have nothing else to say than its probably good idea to have quick plan to push mining versions if its again happening, both Nvidia & AMD should know that upper oddity. "

BINGO!

That's my point. AMD failed to deliver in this regard as well. So my 14 year old fan boy ism is done and I have a better card than I ever hoped to own. (But paid about 300 bux more than I cared to pay.) I just think it's funny when people ask me, What's the rush??? I mean, when did I start this thread? APRIL??? lol :smile:

Atatax that is precisely the reason why those AMD cards are so over inflated and why so many AMD cards are currently on back order unless you want to pay through the nose for them.

*and there's no way I'm going to buy the fan boy excuse, "Well AMD didn't know this was going to happen"

right, and despite this, Nvidia cards are also inflated. They are just less inflated because they are far less efficient. Not because they better responded to the situation.

I tried to ask before what would be ideal mining card and nobody really gave suggestions, and I would think that some naked piece of shit 1070 would be fast to summon.

I dont even know how much VRAM affects mining, there is like another point if its not that relevant then just sell the damn chip with ugly board with fan & heatsink. :joy:

1 Like

Less efficient for Data mining. Not necessarily less efficient when it comes to graphics... which is what a Graphics Card is designed for. One more thing NVIDIA actually did make an effort to provide a card targeted at the data mining market as well. At least you can pick up a 1070 or 1080 without much trouble and it will still run circles around any 580 as far as graphics are concerned.... AND at least half the cost!

You know it. This is my main beef. It's not as though both AMD and NVIDIA don't know it either.

480 chip
green pcb
one line going for single memory chip
oldschool fan with sketchy sticker

Fucking beast
8/8
:ok_hand:

no comment Not a data miner :wink:

Me either, I just saw in my head my old card which had that fan sticker which collected dusts for its sides, then that fan dieded and it melted

ATATAX

It's not like I wanted to pay 600 bucks for a graphics card. It's more like I didn't want to pay 1500 bucks for a card that was less efficient at video rendering than a GTX 1060. Back in April (see the lead post) I was looking at something in the ball park of about 350 bux. To be sure, it wouldn't have been the best video rendering card but it would have been a good start. What I really wanted was the card in the Amazon link I shared and preferably the LE edition. I was prepared to pay a little extra for the LE. Well, it wasn't available and it couldn't be found. Not only could it not be found but by then I noticed it was tough enough to get my hands on a 480 -- never mind a 580 -- unless of course I wanted to pay some highly UNREALISTIC price for a so-called "Budget" card. I mean, come on... When a high end card costs so much less than a budget card? Yeah, I think I made the right choice.

:yum: Stuff happens

@CHESSTUR
you can quote people by highlighting what you want quote, and clicking the tab when it appears. you can do that as many times as you like in one post.

Thanks Goblin. Unfortunately I've been having some issues with the interface but I expect to be reformatting again soon anyway. Just waiting on some new SSDs.

I don't have a problem with you buying an Nvidia card. Heck, the last 3 cards I've bought have been Nvidia. The only problem I have is people having a vendetta on AMD for their cards having inflated prices because they are so damn efficient for mining and mining is so big right now.

::: SIGH ::: I'm over it. NVIDIA is doing the same thing now. Just checked my "$600" EVGA GTX 1070 FTW on Amazon and now they want $1260 bux for the thing. But that wasn't really my point. My point was AMD knew this was coming and it wouldn't surprise me that they didn't know it was coming in 2013 when retailers couldn't provide stock to customers either. The retailers aren't to blame for this. The stock is being purchased before they even get it. BUT AMD could have done something about this long ago and chose to do nothing. So. We all know the bottom line in any business is profit. Screw the enthusiast. Screw the PC builder. Cater to the Cryptos and be done with it. I'm happy with my graphics card and good riddance AMD.