Has anyone had issues where a monitor goes blank when using the Level1Tech DisplayPort Repeater?

I have 2x computers, both with 2x monitors and I am using 4x repeaters so the monitors do not disconnect in the OS. On one computer I never have issues. On another computer I have issues with one monitor.

The monitor never disconnects, so the OS always sees it, but sometimes while using it the monitor will just blank. Always the same monitor, always the same computer.

I don’t think it has anything to do with the repeaters. I am thinking it has something to do with my computer.

I’ve bothered Wendell enough so I thought I would see if anyone has observed anything like this?

1 Like

I am using a single L1T EDID Repeater with DisplayPort, and very satisfied. Infrequently, I see short blackouts, lasting about 0.5 - 2 seconds, on that monitor. But I have not connected the issue with the repeater; my vague impression is that it started after an OS and/or GPU driver update. I certainly see this on Windows; not sure if it occurs on Linux.

I haven’t investigated the issue, as it is a minor annoyance. Sounds like you may be having a more severe problem?

Well sorta. It only happens on one monitor on one computer. And I can go an entire week without it happening and then it happens every few seconds an entire day. It is very strange. I am going to try with better, VESA certified cables. I have a feeling it has something to do with my computer since the other computer never has the issue.

what’s the hardware config on each computer
also the OS and version and Driver and version

My configuration is:

• Monitors:
    • Acer 27" ED273UR @ 2560 x 1440
    • ViewSonic VA2456 @ 1080 x 1920 (landscape mode)
  • MBP 16" 2019
    • MacOS Catalina
    1. Connection 1 path:
      1. MBP
      2. USB-C to DP cable
      3. EDID repeater
      4. KVM port for Acer
    2. Connection 2 path:
      1. MBP
      2. CalDigit TS3 Plus Dock
      3. DP out and DP cable
      4. EDID repeater
      5. KVM port for ViewSonic
  • Lenovo m92p Tiny PC:
    • Windows 10
    • Intel HD Graphics 2500 running 10.18.10.5146
    1. Connection 1 path:
      1. Lenovo
      2. EDID repeater
      3. KVM port for Acer
    2. Connection 1 path:
      1. Lenovo
      2. EDID repeater
      3. KVM port for ViewSonic

The problem is always with the Lenovo + Acer monitor. I can swap the EDID repeaters around, swap ports around, etc. No matter what configuration the EDID repeaters, cables, and ports are, it is always the Acer on the Lenovo that has this issue. When I do have the issue – when on the Lenovo port on the KVM and the Acer goes out, I press the button on the back of it’s EDID port and that brings the monitor back.

I do get some occasional blinking on the ViewSonic after switching inputs, on either computer, but it stops after a few seconds.

The Acer on the Lenovo is what has the strange issue. It will go for days without issue and then one day it’ll have issues and will keep going blank every few moments. Like I will press the button > monitor comes on > few moments later it goes out again > press the button > monitor comes on > few moments later it goes out again > repeat…

Right now I have mounted the EDID repeater right under my desk near the front so I can quickly press the button on the back of the EDID repeater.

Thanks for the additional information, and congrats on a nice, clear hardware setup. The behavior you describe is strange; I don’t know what the explanation might be. You’ve probably considered removing the KVM and/or EDID repeater from the circuit for a while to test a different configuration. Too bad that would make the system much less flexible, though. I do wish you luck on finding a resolution.

The repeater has 3 modes, which one are you using (when you push the button)?

@imthenachoman I just had an experience rather similar to yours. When I switched (via KVM) the monitor back to the EDID repeater, WIndows was unaware of, and did not detect, this secondary monitor - so the monitor stayed black. I had to click the repeater button (doing a “Hot Plug”), then “detect multiple displays” in Windows, in order to start using it again. That suggests the EDID repeater “forgot” its setting at some point. Not quite the same as what you report, but any quirk seems of interest now.

Let’s see… the computer connected to the EDID repeater is multi-boot. I was certainly using the “repeated” monitor under Linux a short while ago. I may well have rebooted into Windows while the KVM had this secondary monitor switched away from the computer. I wouldn’t expect that to make any difference, though.

I do this sort of switching frequently, and this is the first time I have noticed odd behavior. Just another scrap of information.

I have it on P and I learned the monitor.

Thanks. I’ve been having better luck the last few days – only an occasional blanking where pushing the button fixes it. I wanted to clean up the wires a bit better but right now I’m afraid to touch it.

These things work great otherwise. I looked and looked for a 2 port dual DP KVM that worked and was about to give up until I came across this repeater. I don’t like all the wires and am going to keep an eye out for a KVM that does it all (built in repeater) but until then I’m loving it.

In case anyone else comes across this post, I wanted to share another strange issue I found.

This monitor (the Acer on the Lenovo) will also go and stay blank if screensaver is on. It is very strange. I have all power settings disabled and only screensaver after 10 minutes. Most of the time when the screensaver activates, it’ll activate for all 3 monitors and then after some time the Acer will go blank. I can see the screensaver still going on the other two.

This does not happen if I have screensaver off.

I am almost certain it has something to do with this Lenovo m92p Tiny PC. I’ve been looking for an excuse to get a new one. Hopefully in a few months.

I did some digging. Install the intel display utility which unlocks a bunch of options for the igpu. They setting different sync polarity and see what it does

Maybe try some different timing standards

1 Like

I will play with this. Although I am tempted to just get a new machine. Heh.

It has been happening more often some days and now even the other DP monitor on the Lenovo is blanking. I think the system is just buggy or something.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.