Has Anyone Ever Had This Issue With Youtube-DL Before?

OK, my bad. :facepalm: I was probably thinking of like an older post I made or something. Anyway, I’ll just try that command (youtube-dl -f bestaudio link) where it will just grab the best quality possible & I shouldn’t have anything worry about. It won’t convert the track, right? And lastly, no need to run a bunch of this other stuff by me which really went over my head. I know I’m no expert, but I’ve been learning as I go, alright? :unamused:

It won’t. It downloads the track and dumps it to your hard drive.
In most cases bestaudio will be the Opus option. I don’t know if DaVinci supports Opus though, you’ll have to test that.
If it doesn’t you can get the best quality AAC/MP4 using -f "bestaudio[ext=m4a]". m4a is the extension for audio-only mp4-containers.

I didn’t say you need to understand everything on first read. But going back and reading over the threads you already posted and got extensive answers on would be a good start.
IMO it’s a bit rude to ask the same question in new threads every couple weeks. You can always revive an old thread so anyone new that comes in has some context on what has already been suggested.

1 Like

I know & I DID look over some of the other posts I made, but like I said since I’m learning as I go, I’d rather keep some of these topics just separate in case I ever need to go back to them for reference in the future. BTW, that command you provided to me just above- do I include all of it when I type it in? (You know, brackets, quotes, etc.)

Yes. You can probably drop the quotes but I don’t know how the Windows command line reacts to square brackets.

Well, I’ve been using Command Prompt since I’m a Windows user anyway. But if I understood you correctly- just include everything except for the quotes?

I’m not on windows so I can’t test.
Just try both and see what explodes :wink:

OK. :man_shrugging:

just use MS Windows Powershell or MS Windows Terminal. Break the habit of using cmd. It is old, deprecated, and and not recommended my MS any more. Powershell and Windows Terminal bring modernity and niceties of the Unix Terminals.

1 Like

YouTube converts 44.1Khz to 48Khz when stuff is converted to Opus, which is the new default. Music defaults to 44.1khz.

The M4A and 720p (format 22) formats retain 44.1khz if the source file was 44.1khz, but if the uploader changed it to 48khz, you’re out of luck.

f22, f140 and f251 will give you three different audio transcodes.

Just FYI, youtube-dl is EOL. yt-dlp is the replacement.

Do you mean youtube-dlc is EOL? the origrinal dl is still actively developed. Quite a few of the dlc features have been added to dl as a result.

The latest release for yt-dlp was last Sunday with git commits today.
The latest release for youtube-dl was June 6th with git commits 1st July.
If youtube-dl isn’t EOL it’s AWOL.

The main dev moved house and has life to deal with. That’s what happened:

Unfortunately there are no other maintainers with enough power to do release and PR management.

1 Like

I switched to yt-dlp in August, that’s news to me.

2 Likes

I just switched to YT-dlp the other day thanks to FurryJackman. Going good so far.
I had been using YouTube-dlc for ages, and didn’t have any issues with it, but also didn’t realise it hadn’t been updated in ages.

So the only one I did have issues with was the upstream -dl which is why I switched

I highly recommend using --compat-options filename always with yt-dlc. If that option is not in place, the filename will not be compliant when using --restrict-filenames. And if you have sponskrub installed you will have to do --no-sponskrub to prevent it from adding chapters where mid video sponsor spots are.