Hardstyle hammers

Couldn´t you have posted this earlier?

Not entirely sure if it qualifies as hardstyle, IMO it's somewhere between that and hardcore.

That being said, I still do prefer the older stuff no matter how outdated it sounds whenever it slips into a modern playlist.

1 Like

Yeah its funny how one catchy drum loop gets used in literally everything afterwards for 60 years huh? I get what you mean. A lot of it IS club trash. A lot of artists kinda just go the easy money route after they stop having fun. Showtek, Headhunterz, a lot of the common names. They weren't always like that though. Showtek made a lot of awesome stuff that got used in places you wouldn't expect. I think of an arena shooter that was kinda shit, but he was in there, heh.

As for not getting it.... Yeah. If you're not wired for it to follow the differences in the song yeah it really all does sound the same. Maybe its just REALLY annoying, yeah? This will be wierd, but in my head this

is just the same as this

Is the same as this

Now obviously in a lot of ways they are similar. DNB based, one being DNB, drums, yes, noisey, some, not for everyone, yeah sure. What gets it for me is what the artists do to the drums, timing, key, and oddly enough it helps me focus on stuff becasue either the drum makes a pattern, or with whatever I am doing really it just kinda locks me into it. Maybe its because I liten to it so much.

I kinda treat it like one big drum core. I was in marching band and liked to listen to the drums play as we went. So I guess somewhere in the back of my head they are the same. I dunno, while a REALLY REALLY LOT OF IT is trash, like a LOT, there is this tiny little iland of good stuff. The generic club shit is annoying. I want it to sound evil, lethal, not happy bouncy kids bop bullshit. Its fun to listen to as well. You almost get thi little window of what the guy was really into at the moment. Up there, high rollers, song was made after headhunterz saw a bunch of documentarie on drug lords in south america. Weird to think about but it kinda shows you a window into it.

I dunno maybe I'm just dumb :D

Have you heard of rawstyle?

You should check out the labels Gearbox Digital, End of Line and Theracords.
They have some massive bangers

Its just Hardstyle with a different name because clubbers tarnished it :D

Well, it's actually becoming a quite big sub-genre. It's "taken over" (not really taken over, but it has become huge) the Netherlands.

So did Gabber at some point, so let's not use The Netherlands as a cultural reference, shall we? :-p

(Not that Belgium is any better, we came up with New Beat after all)

1 Like

Haha that's true :P

I didn't even know Venetian Snares was still around. I actually quite like that song you linked too (except for the really fucking obnoxious computer crash thing. If that's part of the song, then I now hate the song, if that's some really dumb anti-piracy protection on the video...that's really fucking obnoxious).
Speaking of influences on artists, I had a fascination with the Venetian Snares even if I didn't particularly like their music.
In electronic music, you can never really say who was the first to actually start something, however, I think it is safe to say that Venetian Snares helped popularize "Snare Rushing" which...in a certain sense it's almost like using a wave-table synth with a snare. Basically you modulate the frequency of the snare hits (as in, literally the number of times the snare is triggered) to create musical notes. So, in this sense, say....making the snare hit 10 for the length of 1 eighth note on a 170BPM track to create an "A-flat" (don't try this at home, these are random numbers. This also depends on the original tone of the snare).
It creates this very gritty electric sound and it's....fascinating!
I become so fascinated with this idea of snare rushing, I did it in one of my own tracks:

Sorry, I don't have the song uploaded as a single anywhere. The video should start you at the song, if not, skip to 8:40.
Literally the very first sound, the very first note of the song is a snare rush using a snare I programmed in MicroTonic triggering for the length of an eighth note at 124th note intervals on...I think 150-ish BPM (I forget)

Most of my music has been inspired by neat sounds and fucking with other sounds...I recently realized: It's not that I like making music. It's that I like making sound.
Another track on that album uses some samples of me hitting my microphone stand while the mic was recording to get some weird meaty punches that are both industrial in their metallic tone, and crunchy in it's...well...clipping audio.
Anyways, that's neither here nor there - this is just me indulging myself. Back on topic.

That "compilation" is great!
As I catch you here: YOU promised a downloadable version. Did that happen by now or do I have to navigate to some youtube downloader?

Ah...no...it's still not available...
See, I was a fucking idiot when was working on the songs and only rendered MP3 versions for myself.
Unfortunately Bandcamp will only allow me to upload in WAV, and...well I guess I could just convert the MP3's to WAV, but I feel like that's cheating...
So, I need to go back to the old projects and render them as WAV....unfortunately some of the older projects when I first started this album...I don't know 2 years ago, are missing some of the plugins I used...I need to track those down so I can actually render the song proper...or I can mix the track again but without using those plugins, either option is fine by me...I just...need to find time.

That sucks. Guess I have to grab the mp3 from YouTube and cut it do pieces on my own... For now!

Hmm...depending on how my internet is behaving, I might be able to upload the album to mediafire for you to download. Give me a few minutes. I'll PM you the link (unless anyone else reading this thread is interested)

1 Like

1 Like

I love the first track lol.

1 Like

1 Like

And if you're in need of a devastating liveset:

1 Like