Hardcore gamer/Windows power user on Linux

Id say grab a few flavors of Ubuntu. Vanilla, Gnome, Mate... load them on a usb drive and test drive them to see if you like the desktop environment.

Ubuntu is the most popular and will give the best rate of success with support. Such as AMD and nVidia have official drivers for Ubuntu.

My preference is Ubuntu GNOME.

1 Like

If you are looking for something stable... and you are not afraid to read... you might want to look into Slackware 14.2 64 bit... you can set up 32 multilib pretty easy. and whala ... everything on my ryzen 7 1700 x370 taichi worked out of the box on slackware.

1 Like

The big problem will be Skype since my friends won't go to Discord.

Give Rambox a try. It uses electron, and if I understand it correctly, it packages the web application into a desktop application. You can connect a ton of stuff into it. It is really nice to have whatsapp, steam chat, skype, wire and a lot of other possible programs in one place. I am not sure if you loose some functionality, but it might be worth a try. I personally love it since I can chat with friends who are on services I don't want to install programs for

1 Like

Umm doesn't skype work on linux?

My suggestion is to go for distros based on Debian and maybe Deepin can be a good start. Is light (less than 500MB of RAM used on boot with nothing installed), it's pretty, very few packages installed by default, Wine is integrated and overall I've had a pretty good experience testing it.

1 Like

Can you share screen and system sound ?

I was looking at "Sparky" linux for a 7850k for ny 4 "go to" games. CSGO ISDefense and Descent all run on Linux and I would like to see if I can get Titanfall up on Sparky. If not then on Ubuntu or Mint.

Do you have a few games that run natively on Linux? Sometimes you can get so caught up with OS stuff you can forget how much fun a good game is even on medium or low settings, especially with AMD drivers. It helps to take time off and kill something:)
Open AMD drivers have come a long way

PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL MINT. If you have any desire to do a GPU upgrade any time soon DO NOT install mint. They specifically gimp themselves behind on kernel's and the most important element of linux for gamers the last year and a half has been the kernel.

That being said, if you want a basically windows experience, go pick up xubuntu or ubuntu mate. Stay away from arch kind of distros as thats a lot of shit to manage in one day. Start with ubuntu, and if you want to try something else after understanding some terminal stuff, jump up (I would do antergos at this point). If you just want to game, everything should run pretty smooth.

1 Like

There is an SBO skype package for slackware, which means you wouldnt have to compile it from source.

2 Likes

Thank you for suggestion. Xubuntu looks like mac OS xD So yea, i want a windows experience. How about openSuse ?

Antergos is really good. The installation is super easy and offers you choice of software at the beginning so you don't bloat up the system. Antergos is just pre-rolled Arch Linux.

2 Likes

lol macos? The bottom dock doesn't run most of the time unless you have a tiny tiny screen res.

I try to give people the easiest thing to start with which is typically UBU or UBU based. Nothing wrong with trying Suse first, but you'll probably be in CLI a lot more than you will want to be.

1 Like

You need a shell thats like Windows. KDE / XFCE / Cinnamon / Classic Gnome / etc. I think that the distros after a certain point become irrelevant in the conversation when all you want a a start menu at the bottom left and so on...

1 Like

Yes exactly that. I just checked out that it is possible to install shells later on after install, which is nice. I really don't like that top screen position. I didn't liked it on macOS, when i was using it in school.

1 Like

Since you advised not to install Mint, ill go for ubuntu mate and later on install some kind of shell ... probably KDE.

1 Like

Quick question. I am installing linux on new drive ... do i need to partitioned it in Windows so it won't be confusing for Windows (aka 2 C: drives) or i leave it Unallocated ?

All ubuntu's are much the same. Pretty good for beginners if they understand launchpad and ppa sources, otherwise it will be their doom due to the aging repositories. If you run AMD hardware for example and rely on the ubuntu repositories then your experience is going to drive you back to Windows, most likely.

If you have windows already installed on your drive, and have not shrunk space down for a new partition, I would do so in Disk Management. Then, once linux is installed, you will have a boot menu that pops up for selection called GRUB.

1 Like

Currently i have problem installing it. First i disconnect all drives that i am using in Windows (it was quite a hell to figure out which one is the right one) but then i got an error saying that linux didn't installed because usb drive might be faulty. I do have another one but there i have Windows boot.

Not an error I'm familiar with sorry :confused: try the other one?