Hard Drive issue on FreeNAS 9.10.2-U6

It is 50/50. Usually a scrub deals with small read errors like this. As previously stated I have a CCTV array with a known bad 2TiB drive, it throws errors once every couple of days. FreeNAS eats them for breakfast and the array keeps on trucking. … that said I don’t really care about the data on that array so I live dangerously.

Monitor the drive, if it goes back again then it is failing. If it was just a random screwup then hey, you get a free HGST drive you weren’t expecting!

Edit: just 16 re-allocated sectors? I wouldn’t worry until the number is in hundreds, or growing visible, and then try cccleaner again…

Originally I posted:
It might be that the drive did not update its List of bad blocks until the advance format.
Little data errors are normal, and the drive tries to hide them, by marking sectors bad, but doesn’t always know.
Like you said, the drive is now untrustworthy, and will go wrong again down the road.

Thanks folks. I’ve put the drive back in the array and started rebuilding the pool. I’ll monitor the drive weekly see if anything “interesting” happens. I did order a 6TB drive as a spare just in case though.

2 Likes

It may have just not saved. Common on bad connections. It looks like it posted but didn’t.

If a message was deleted there would be a flag that said “Deleted Message” or it’d be grayed out from being flagged by people.

Would you like to post the comment again now?

lol, WHY???

just can’t understand why?
moderators, please, explain me why?

Your account is young and it looked like spam.

If you’d like to talk about it please PM me or another moderator.

The M is key there. Some drives will last a decade and others will die within warranty.

Also, I’ve had drives go years after showing some bad sectors. I’d just roll with it while it’s just the one drive.

When you do replace it avoid WD red. There are smr shenanigans going on.

What about shucked white labels?

There has been a lack of deals on the shuckables. I wouldnt bother with that as of lately.

Uh oh, the gremlins have returned.

HGST 2

It’s the same drive too.

It’s dying a slow death. You can wait for it to fail completely or replace it pre-emptively. It is possible that it will cause performance and even stability issues as it fails, but it could also be fine for months. Your data should be intact no matter what though.

1 Like

Sunday (Today) is the scheduled scrub day so I’ll wait till that’s done, see what happens.

Just confirming here, FreeNAS auto scrub should mark and isolate bad sectors, correct?

Not as far as I am aware; scrub checks Data for corruption/bitrot. Whilst checking the data, it might call up a bad sector, which the drive might report as bad to the system, but it does not specifically look for them

1 Like