Handheld gaming

Welcome!

This is a general discussions thread about anything related to handheld gaming. Come share handhelds, games, builds, controllers, videos, articles, or just reminisce about what you used to have.

I’ll be updating this first post, with user’s lists, and adding related stuff that I think some of you would like. I’ll hopefully get this organized better too.

Rules:

Just make sure you follow the Level1Techs rules, and don’t post any links to ROM sites (also covered in the L1 rules).

Related YouTube channels:

Reviewer

Reviewer of pretty much everything gaming which includes a crap ton of handhelds.

Makers

Builds:

Handheld Wii using Wii hardware. He also does a great job shouting the community.

Handheld PS2, using PS2 hardware.

Misc videos:

User's device/game list:

How to make a table

You don’t need to do this for your list, but I’m going to put this here for people who want to, but don’t know how.

Making the table:

|Device|Game|Rating|Complete|Notes|
|---|---|---|---|---|
|Android|Clash of Clans|2||Ugh...|
|Android|Hole.io|6||I'm really good at this for some reason.|
|Android|GTA 3|6|||
Device Game Rating Complete Notes
Android Clash of Clans 2 Ugh…
Android Hole.io 6 I’m really good at this for some reason.
Android GTA 3 6

How to align text:

|Text is on the left|Text is centered|Text is on the right|
|:---|:---:|---:|
|Text|Text|Text|

Use the “:” to align your text

Text is on the left Text is centered Text is on the right
Text Text Text
4 Likes

I only have two devices for Handheld Gaming, and that’s my Note 8 and my PSP. I unfortunately missed out on all the Nintendo devices.

Played/playing games:

Rating is just how much I enjoyed playing it, nothing to do with story or visuals.

Android Clash of Clans 2 Ugh…
Android Hole.io 6 I’m really good at this for some reason.
Android GTA 3 6
Android Minecraft 7
PSP Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep 10 Playing though Aqua’s story line.
PSP Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition 10 It’s just like PS2 game!!!
PSP Fat Princess: Fist Full of Cake 9 :ballot_box_with_check: Simple game that’s a blast to play.
PSP LocoRoco 7 Simple & cute game, great when you want to relax.
PSP Monster Hunter: freedom unite
PSP Final Fantasy: Crisis Core 7
PSP Disgaea: Afternoon Darkness
PSP Burnout: Legends 9 Racing game that rewards wrecking the competition
PSP The 3rd Birthday 3rd person shooter, and it plays very nice.
PSP Valkyria Chronicles 2
PSP Need for Speed Most Wanted 5-1-0 0 Nothing like the PS2 game. Garbage.
4 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

You need to try Patapon 2 and patapon 3…
I miss my PSP… I loved it so much :frowning:

1 Like

Not Patapon 1?

1 Like

Patapon 1 is just patapon 2 but less polished, slightly grinder and with less features.
Basically Patapon 2 is vastly improved Patapon 1.
If you want to follow the story, sure, go through 1 then get 2, but if you try 2 it’s a pain to play 1 afterwards.
3 shook up the formula and the gameplay a lot and is basically it’s own thing, so I do recommend 2 and 3.
I wonder how will a PSP emulator look on my 32" monitor… Those epic graphics will be amazing…

1 Like

I don’t know what kind of phone you have, but if you get one of those game pads and clip your phone into it it’s a really good experience, and looks way better then on the PSP.

Controller.

Some Kingdom Hearts gameplay using PPSSPP emulator set to 5x PSP resolution on my Note 8 hooked up to a 4K TV (phone outputting 1080p), and gameplay was very smooth aside from a few small hiccups every once in a while. I mostly play at 2x PSP for completely lag free experience.

I want to record some game play at some point demonstrating this setup.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I have on my PC and can just use a controller and play on my PC because PC…

Your phone should be able to record on the fly while doing everything else…

Crysis core was an amazing game on the psp. I had 2 burnout games - dominator and if I’m not mistaken paradise… Loved them both. Played other games as well, but hell Patapon 2 and 3 are in my top5 ever…

1 Like

I could do that, but I find that there’s other things I want to do or play on my PC, but I can play my PSP/PPSSPP whenever I get a moment like when I’m on lunch, riding in a car, or just waiting for something/someone.

It can, but it does affect performance, which isn’t a problem at 2x PSP res, but if I’m pushing it to 5x, it’s too much.

Yes, tones of time playing that one.

I believe it would have been Dominator and Legends. I’ve played a little of Leagends, and it’ll be great when I get to it, but I’m working on Fat Princess, Kingdom Hearts, and Midnight Club 3 right now.

1 Like

Yes, legends… Paradise was the PC game… Oh legends was sooo gooooood…

You could say it was… legendary! Lol the cringe.

But yeah, It feels a lot like Burnout 3 Takedown, and that’s another game I played the crap out of as a kid. Loved that game!

1 Like

I’ve completed Fat Princess: Fist Full of Cake.

This is a game I repeatedly return to since it’s such a blast to play, if you’ve never played it it’s available on PSP, PS Vita, PS3, and (I’d imagine) PS4. You can download the demo (multiplayer only) for free. Totally recommended!

@psycho_666 I’m going to give Patapon 2 a go next time I want to play (probably tomorrow).

3 Likes

I hope you have headphones or a quiet room…

1 Like

Well I learned how to align text if anything

Disgaea is great, you’ll need a TON of hours into it

1 Like
GBA Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap 10 :ballot_box_with_check: Great adventure
GBA MegaMan Battle network 1-6 9 :ballot_box_with_check: Great iso metric series
GBA MegaMan Zero 1-4 9 :ballot_box_with_check: Back and slash+Run and Gun
GBA Metroid Zero Mission 10 :ballot_box_with_check: Classic Revitalized
GBA Metroid Fusion 10 :ballot_box_with_check: Alien: The movie: The game
GBA Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones 9 almost, a decade ago Great strategy gamd
GBA Mario & Luigi Super Star Saga 10 :ballot_box_with_check: Whacky
3DS Eterian Odyssey Millennium Girl 9 Nearly Some of the best dungeon crawling
Android Caves 10 IDK if you can Rogue like where you can mine through the walls
Android Sector Strike 6 IDK if you can FTP R-Type clone

A lot more but I’m tired

3 Likes

I watched the anime many years ago, so I figured I’d give the game a try. I’ve played just enough to figure out what type of game it is.

Noted. I’ll grab my headphones for it.

Oh, man. IDK what I’m doing wrong, but I can’t get past the very first tutorial.

DAFAK? The first patapon giving you the drum?
Where you have a single button? And you have to time it with the sound?
THIS?