Handbrake crashing when utilizing all cores? Is there a fix?

I am using a Ryzen 1700 and DDR4 3000mhz

I don’t know what is causing this. At times in the past it managed to make it through a number of conversions. But more recently it is getting to about 40% on anything I am converting and it either crashes the program or my entire computer. I have fixed this by setting affinity to 6 cores 12 threads.

I am wondering if there is a fix with say using and older version of the tool? I am at the moment using the most recent version 1.0.7.

The reason I am asking is that I am able to get 26fps when utilizing all my threads, now I get about 20fps with 12 threads. The 6 extra fps really does seem to increase the number of conversions I can do in a day. It knocks off about 15minutes to 20 per conversion.

Would it be less likely to crashing in Ubuntu?

Is your processor from the “bad” batch of processors that had the performance marginality issue? (https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ryzen-Segv-Response) You might want to RMA it with a fresh one if this keeps happening, cause it would likely be worse on Ubuntu if it’s the processor.

1 Like

I will look into replacing mine. But is there a way in windows to tell if it has the fault? I have it covered under warranty so if there is a problem I can get it replaced at the store for free. The store would give me the price of it back entirely to buy a new one. The 1800x happens to be 300USD exactly which is 30 dollars cheaper than what I paid for it.

Yup, reboot with a live distro. :+1:
If you wanna goof around with it, just disconnect your other drives.

1 Like