Continuing the little AMDGPU series we have going, here is a short resource guide for AMDGPU on Fedora 24 and 25.
AMDGPU (open drivers) on Fedora
Similar to other newer distros if your running a CGN 1.2 or polaris card you already have AMDGPU drivers installed and active. Congratulations, for the most part you don't need to do anything else if you don't want to, but you might! (read on).
There are some limitations to the current availability on Fedora.
- The kernel does not currently support older generation cards CGN 1.1/1.0 as support is unstable.
- The version of LVMM (3.8) in Fedora currently limits the open drivers to OpenGL 4.1
- There is no Vulkan support by default
So, what to do if you want OpenGL 4.3, AMDGPU support on your older card, or Vulkan support?
The best and easiest option is to use a copr repo to achieve this.
I'll just link to this as it explains everything you need to do (which is almost nothing)
Keep in mind.
- This will update you to llvm 3.9, which will give you OpenGL 4.3 but may break other packages
- If you dont need the staging kernel you can remove the kernel repo from the list. I dont use it in Fedora 25.
- If your using a Sea Island card AMDGPU support is experimental and may have unexpected behaviour.
Other options are available.
- If you need the older LLVM 3.8 but want the newer AMDGPU support you can use the following copr repo
This wont give you OpenGL 4.3
- If you want vulkan support (should also be in the polaris-gfx repo, but this provides vulkan for amd and intel)
This wont give you vulkan support for older generation cards.
Currently there is no support for the pro drivers, and there is no reliable 3rd party repo for it. In saying that, you might find you just dont need them. AMD are doing well to push features to the open drivers.
If you do need them.. Let me know if you get them working.
Some things you can do
To check your currently OpenGL support
glxinfo | grep version
Will show something like this, if your using the copr repo you'll see it showing core profile version 4.3 on mesa 13
$ glxinfo | grep version server glx version string: 1.4 client glx version string: 1.4 GLX version: 1.4 Max core profile version: 4.3 Max compat profile version: 3.0 Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1 Max GLES profile version: 3.1 OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 13.0.0-rc1 OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.30 OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.0-rc1 OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30 OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 13.0.0-rc1 OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10