[GUIDE] AMDGPU for GCN 1.1 on Ubuntu 16.10

Those of you with GCN 1.1 AMD card may have noticed you card is not running AMDGPU on Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10.

To see what it is running use this:

sudo lshw -c video

Why is this?

Open up your file explorer or cd on over to you /boot directory there will be a file call “config-4.*.*-*-generic” this will vary depending on the version of Ubuntu you are on. Open it up in gedit or you favorite text editor and press “ctrl-f” and look for “CIK

That is a cofig of your current kernel Ubuntu did not enable GCN 1.1 support for AMDGPU so it defaults to lack luster radeon driver.

How do we fix this?

Stay tuned to find out!

1 Like

#Warning this guide will have you build your own kernel which can cause breakage and you will no longer be officially supported by Canonical

First, we need to make sure your system is up to date.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade 

when it ask for you to accept the updates look to see if an update to your kernel or headers are being updated. If so after updating reboot your machine.

Now that you are up to date we need to beable to get our hands on the source code for Ubuntu’s kernel

Go to your Software & Updates settings and under the Ubuntu Software tab click the Source code button

We are going to be follwing this guide with a some tweaks. If you want to follow along here you go.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/BuildYourOwnKernel

We need to get our hands on the tools to build a kernel.

sudo apt-get build-dep linux-image-$(uname -r)

this will grab the needed tools for the kernel you are currently on

Lets move over to doing this as root

sudo su

make sure you are in root’s home directory

cd

Lets download that kernel source code! Get a coffee this may take a bit. You can also use git if you don’t want to add a repository.

apt-get source linux-image-$(uname -r)

That made a new directory and we need to navigate to that

ls

you should see something similar to linux-4.8.0

cd linux-4.8.0

Now we need to change some permissions so we can edit the config

chmod a+x debian/rules
chmod a+x debian/scripts/*
chmod a+x debian/scripts/misc/*

Lets modify the config

You really only need to modify the the kernel you plan on using (most likely amd64-generic) so you can press no on the arm and powerpc configs

fakeroot debian/rules clean
fakeroot debian/rules editconfigs

Navigate through the menus as so

you are going to want to press y on that option if Enable AMD powerplay componet is not enabled press y on that as well

save and change any of the other configs you want of press n to ignore them

Now lets build the kernel(s)

fakeroot debian/rules clean

There are two options here.

fakeroot debian/rules binary-headers binary-generic

if all you want is the generic kernel

fakeroot debian/rules binary

if you want all the builds use this.

This will take some time so find something to do. Like… make a tutorial.

This is going build a kernel and headers as a .deb packages for easy install

Move back to root’s home

cd

lets look for .deb files to install

ls *.deb

you should see something like this:

linux-cloud-tools-4.8.0-22-generic_4.8.0-22.24_amd64.deb linux-headers-4.8.0-22-generic_4.8.0-22.24_amd64.deb linux-image-extra-4.8.0-22-generic_4.8.0-22.24_amd64.deb linux-headers-4.8.0-22_4.8.0-22.24_all.deb linux-image-4.8.0-22-generic_4.8.0-22.24_amd64.deb inux-tools-4.8.0-22-generic_4.8.0-22.24_amd64.deb

Great, lets install that kernel.

sudo dpkg -i linux4.8.0-22.24.deb

You may have to adjust version number

Now we have to turn on cik support in your boot loader (grub2)

nano /etc/grub

add amdgpu.exp_hw_support=1 on the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line

Hit ctrl-x and y to save and exit

We are going to turn off (blacklist) the old radeon driver

nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

add blacklist radeon at the end of the file and save and exit the same way you did in the grub config

Update your boot loader

update grub

And reboot

reboot

check your video driver

sudo lshw -c video

2 Likes

Now what kinda suck about this is you will have to build your config when ubuntu updates its kernel so it is a bit of work.

If you have questions, comments or if you machine is on fire let me know.

ive built custom kernels before to add optimus support to the kernel. was alot of fun once you get the hang of it. you will spend many hours just looking over all the options in the configs to fine tune it to your liking.

awesome thank you!.

2 Likes

Cool. Excellent guide even though I'll never use it. I appreciate the effort!

Now you have three.

Does the ubuntu 16.10 support amdgpu-pro as well? Because the installation failed for me and I want so see if it's worth it to try again on my freshly wiped ubuntu partition

Not sure don't game on Linux.

Nope. 16.04 and 16.04.4. Officially anyway. If they work on 16.10.. who knows.

In saying that, there should be little need for the pro drivers overall if you using the latest mesa, llvm, and kernel.

so I guess this is relevant for all new guides with pictures that might go away.

is it possible to update this guide to use text instead of the images or simply update it with working images again?

Because of the age of the guide the image links hadn’t translated to the new domain. Fixed now. Keep in mine this likely won’t apply to newer versions of Ubuntu, and 16.04 may have changed a bit as well.

If your using AMD if you can your best bet is to upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu it has much better support baked in.

1 Like