Gui in SSH connection?

Not running windows on either end,

xterm chromium-browser
X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: localhost:10.0

Yeah, something is happening with the X forwarding and Xauthority. When you logged in did you see a message like:

Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.

Not that I remember, Ill take a look when i get home, just got to work.

So just a couple of notes, for when you get home :D

In the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file set these two values:

X11Forwarding yes
X11UseLocalhost no

On your workstation (running the X windows server) create/edit your "~/.ssh/config" file, add:

Host *
    ForwardAgent yes
    ForwardX11 yes

You might have to create the the "~/.Xauthority" file, but shouldn't make a different.

Only thing I see there that I haven't done possibly is the X11UseLocalHost no, but ill check when I get home. Is there any stand alone program like Windows Remote Desktop that's easy to set up? I don't have to use SSH to connect, just what I use to for remote management of networking devices.

You'll need to run a remote desktop server on the other machine. Basically a VNC server. That could be easier if you want the whole desktop to be displayed from the remote machine. When you do this though, you loose any of the benefits of hardware acceleration. Everything is running on the other machine across the network. Including the window manager. I usually still run SSH tunnelling so people can't see that I'm running a VNC server.

$ssh -X host
$firefox

Will open Firefox bound to your local X instance - good if you just need one application.

If you want the full desktop take a look at VNC (think RDC) -

try "DISPLAY=:10 xterm chromium-browser", or even better just "DISPLAY=:10 chromium-browser"
X11 forwarding works by creating "sort of" a virtual display for your X environment.
if you ctrl+alt+f2 and run some random command but lets say chromium-browser, and you typed in
"DISPLAY=:0 chromium-browser" it would start chromium on your "main" display e.g. the setup running your X environment, where as if you just launched chromium from tty 2, it would just tell you "hey im missing a display".
where as "DISPLAY=:1 chromium-browser" would give an error since that display output doesn't exist
In this case X11-forwarding is using DISPLAY=:10.0, which would tell your launcher to launch on that specific display.
if you are running over ssh(which is display :10.0) f.x. and needed xrandr query output on your monitor connected(which directly queries the screen for a EDID output), you would use "DISPLAY=:0 xrandr -q" which would return the pool of resolutions your main screen is capable of handling as direct information from the monitors firm/hardware.

found a guide on this for you

Tried that one

try this in the terminal

xhost +

this will allow all connections to the X Server

So, I've been reading a lot about X11 and X forwarding, becuase I am having problems with a similar problem. I do have ssh X11 tunneling working properly on my LAN, so perhaps I can give you some help getting yours to work.

For all the people offering suggestions: edit your "~/.ssh/config" file, Etc.
Make sure you specify on which computer to do these edits
Otherwise it can be confusing for people that are having problems.

If you want to run an entire graphical session, E.g a full desktop But for some reason you can't use VNC the program you are looking for is Xnest. Installable via apt-get install xnest. I don't know how to make it work because I use VNC, but I have at least given you a search term.

For this post I have assumed what you wan't is to SSH to your server, then open a window on your desktop that contains within it an entire GDM session (full desktop- including login prompt-) Xnest will get you this. You also need to enable X Display Manager Control Protocol (Xdmcp) It allows remote connections to display managers running locally. The Arch Wiki seems to be a great place to start reading, even if you aren't running Arch. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xdmcp

Note: Remote x sessions are very bandwidth intensive, or so I've read. That's why everyone uses VNC, because it has reasonable compression ratios, but it used to be quite popular before VNC was invented.

Note 2: If all you want is to SSH to your server and run a single program on it -like firefox- but have it display locally(Local to YOU, not local to your server. Definitions get crazy because X servers and clients are backwards) X11 forwarding over ssh should do the trick. I believe it works out of the box on Ubuntu and Gnome. BUT if you installed your server without a graphical subsystem, it wont work, so that might be part of your problem?

Anyway, let us know 1)What you ideally want to do, 2) What would be good enough 3) what you have tried(and on which computer you have tried it) and 4) what errors or symptoms you have.

Be as descriptive as possible, tell us why not just what, if you can.

Hope I was of some help.

P.S. anyone in here who is an expert on X forwarding please check out my thread, I have an embedded system that is running an X server (port 6000 is open) and I'm trying to view it live over LAN. xwd pointed at the IP can take a screenshot but I want to stream it. Ideally send mouse events but that's step 2. (sorry for advertising)

If you've made it this far you're awesome! Good luck!

You can use xrdp for that. Works fine for me.

Also you should check out the Hak5 channel, they have some interesting stuff regarding textual ssh sessions. It might be a little different then what you are asking for, but it should still work the same.

and you will want to enable blow fish and compression. Cause X forwarding is slow as fuck.