GTX 980 locks up in games

I have tried many thing to trouble shoot and nothing seams to be working. I think im gonna ask for any suggestions and troble shoot one by one. The GTX 980 will work fine with normal desktop stuff but lockup in some games.Thanks guys in advance!

What temperatures are you hitting? What PSU do you have?

Is your driver crashing? If so have you tried updating or rolling back?

Drivers updated and no crashes. Temps are 55 c under heavy load and I have a corsair cx500. Killawatt says im pulling 275 watts at the wall under load.

It might be helpful to tell people what games it locks up in. I know there are games out there that actually are so poorly optimized they don't always run properly on certain hardware.

Do you mean picture freezing and staying like that by lockup?

any kind of OC on the gpu or cpu?

Locks up in GTA V, Dirt 3, Dirt Rally, Rocket League, Battlefield 4. When I refer to a lockup I mean black screen and terrible stuttering sound comming from the speakers. There is no OC's in the system anywhere.

After putting a new power supply and asking wendell during a pgp, stream it turned out to be a software failure/glitch with each game, unrelated to each other......

Update: Seams to be an issue when I dont run 3 of my monitors in nvidia surround it crashes. When the are run in surround, it does not crash. Dont really understand why but that looks like the root of an issue.

This is a final update. The system lock ups were caused by the GPU. I RMA’d the 980 and the replacement hasn’t locked up once since I installed it 3 months ago.

1 Like