I'll give that a shot. I took a look at the "supported" cards list and I don't see a 9xx card on the list anywhere. Only the 780 TI being the newest card. Out of curiosity what card are you using currently?
GTX680, I haven't bought anything from nVidia since they stopped properly maintaining their linux drivers in 2012 lolz.
I also have an nvidia GT220m card in my old intel core2duo laptop, with nouveau drivers, because they work perfectly fine on nvidia cards of that vintage (9000 series, and the renamed 9000 series, which is the 200 series, I think a 220 is a renamed 9300-9500 or something along those lines, I have no idea what exactly it is to be honest). I also have a 9800GTX, and that works great with nouveau. Anything more recent than that (300 series and up), and you basically have to use the proprietary nvidia driver. Anything more recent than the 600 series, and you won't nearly get the same performance in linux - even with proprietary drivers - as you get in Windows, so I would then suggest gaming in Windows with PCI passthrough, using the Intel iGPU as host adapter, and the 860m as guest adapter, if your CPU and mobo support that (VT-d/IOMMU).
Well still had issues with the driver install. I'm going to try a few other distros and see if I can find a way to get some sort of Linux on my machine. When those new AMD GPUs come out I'm tossing this card and getting one of those. Going to tweet, email, contact Nvidia for better driver support daily.
Alright I finally got my GTX 970 running on OpenSuse 13! Here's how I did it.
Add the nvidia repo in YaST->Software Repositories->Add->Community Repositories
Then the following command and after it completes reboot.
zypper in x11-video-nvidiaG04 nvidia-gfxG04-kmp-desktop nvidia-uvm-gfxG04-kmp-desktop nvidia-glG04 nvidia-computeG04
Special thanks to wolfi323 over on the OpenSuse forums!
I bought a nVidia for my Hackintosh. That’s the last time I bought nVidia. That’s the last time I’ve bought hardware not supported by Linux ![]()
I’ve tried Fedora 19, 20 and 21 - couldn’t get it to work. I tried Ubuntu 14.04 LTS recently and it works. However, starting Linux games in fullscreen makes my screens go off. I need take the time to debug that, but it’s really not entertaining to have a system I can’t rely on.
I really don’t use Linux to game anymore. It’s just not worth the trouble but it’s one heck of a work machine! I can do a ton of productivity related items with quad screens.